Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I have no doubt that max will torpedo Lewis during the race
He won't because he knows he'd be disqualified if he blatantly takes out his title rival in the last race to win the title, there's precedent for it. He'll be aggressive and/or cheat like usual, but Lewis is has been good at avoiding contact from his aggressive driving so far.

Transmission breaker
Don
He won't because he knows he'd be disqualified if he blatantly takes out his title rival in the last race to win the title, there's precedent for it. He'll be aggressive and/or cheat like usual, but Lewis is has been good at avoiding contact from his aggressive driving so far.

FIA have claimed they will not look at the results, only the circumstances when investigating any driver actions.
The torpedo is very much on. It just depends on the scruples of the driver in this case.

Associate
FIA have claimed they will not look at the results, only the circumstances when investigating any driver actions.
The torpedo is very much on. It just depends on the scruples of the driver in this case.
If they believe he deliberately crashed into someone that's enough to disqualify them regardless of the result/championship position. Schumacher failed in 97 and was still disqualified because they knew it was deliberate.

Soldato

So what if Max is disqualified? As long as he takes Hamilton out of the race, he'll still win the WDC. How much do you think Max would get away with before the FIA would disqualify him from the whole championship? Quite a lot I think, especially if Max is full of excuses for whatever it is he does, and doesn't come right out and say "I crashed into Hamilton to take him out of the race and win the WDC".

Associate
So what if Max is disqualified? As long as he takes Hamilton out of the race, he'll still win the WDC. How much do you think Max would get away with before the FIA would disqualify him from the whole championship? Quite a lot I think, especially if Max is full of excuses for whatever it is he does, and doesn't come right out and say "I crashed into Hamilton to take him out of the race and win the WDC".
Disqualified from the championship, not the race.

Associate
I voted for Verstappen even though I am rooting for Lewis to get his 8th (and then hopefully let someone else have a go next year!) There are so many scenarios where Verstappen wins this that its where the sensible money would go. I do expect there to be some more fireworks between the two of them, but I don't think Max is daft enough to just torpedo him. Andrew Benson made a good point in an article on the BBC really that it's Max's skill with placing the car that allows him to introduce enough ambiguity to the manuevres that he has a plausible excuse, and I fully expect if the opportunity presents itself for this kind of thing in Abu Dhabi we will see the same thing.

It's a shame that its descended into this as there has been some top notch driving from both of them this season, but after the last couple of GP anything other than a Lewis win is going to leave me feeling quite bitter.

Soldato
Disqualified from the championship, not the race.

Max would literally have to admit to what he did before the FIA would disqualify him from the WDC. All he has to do is have some semi-plausible reason, and they would at most disqualify him from the race.

He literally admitted to braking hard on a highspeed straight in front of his championship rival, on the racing line, causing a crash (that would have won him the WDC nine times out of ten). The telemetry proved it. The stewards agreed that he did it. Max's punishment was inconsequential and made no difference to the WDC standings.

If you don't get a race disqualification for doing what Max did, then when is he going be disqualified? Max would pull the same trick again and be happy to take the 10 second penalty, or even a full race disqualification if it meant he got Hamilton off the track, and then pat himself on the back for "winning" the WDC.

Associate
Max would literally have to admit to what he did before the FIA would disqualify him from the WDC. All he has to do is have some semi-plausible reason, and they would at most disqualify him from the race.

He literally admitted to braking hard on a highspeed straight in front of his championship rival, on the racing line, causing a crash (that would have won him the WDC nine times out of ten). The telemetry proved it. The stewards agreed that he did it. Max's punishment was inconsequential and made no difference to the WDC standings.

If you don't get a race disqualification for doing what Max did, then when is he going be disqualified? Max would pull the same trick again and be happy to take the 10 second penalty, or even a full race disqualification if it meant he got Hamilton off the track, and then pat himself on the back for "winning" the WDC.
If Max had taken Lewis out of the race with his hard braking do you think he would have got the same 10 second penalty? Even if the stewards say they don't look at the result it's BS.

Transmission breaker
Don
Stupid posts saying Max will deliberately try to take out Ham.

You are very naïve if you really think RB/MV have not discussed plans (off the record!) for varying scenarios were "tactically" taking out Lewis is prudent. History will not care for the circumstances, nor the prize-money/performance targets of the people at RB!

If Max had taken Lewis out of the race with his hard braking do you think he would have got the same 10 second penalty? Even if the stewards say they don't look at the result it's BS.
They will cite the crash at Monza, and issue him a 3 place grid penalty for the next race, or equivalent

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Monza has to be the most blatant for me.

Came on the radio immediately and said "that's what happens when you don't give space" even though he was diving up the inside of a hairpin :p

Soldato

Do you think the stewards would have disqualified him for the race and be accused of deciding the championship? Red Bull would have appealed and claimed it was an accident not even worthy of a 10 second penalty just caused by "miscommunication", which is what the stewards decided while claiming they look at everything in isolation. Max did his brake test to exactly get rid of Hamilton, because even the harshest punishment he could expect would be a race dq (that he was no where near getting) would have worked to his advantage.

Soldato
If RBR were secretly plotting to punt Lewis off, they'd more than likely try to do it with Perez if they feel he's enough of a 'team player' not to grass - that way any consequence could only realistically be leveled at RBR or Perez, so it would only be RBR getting binned from the constructors (which they don't care about) or Perez from the drivers (who they don't care about).

Any Max vs Lewis incident is going to be borne out of 'heat of the moment' antics with aggressive driving styles, not a deliberate action.

Soldato
The FIA don’t have the balls to disqualify him

Associate
Do you think the stewards would have disqualified him for the race and be accused of deciding the championship? Red Bull would have appealed and claimed it was an accident not even worthy of a 10 second penalty just caused by "miscommunication", which is what the stewards decided while claiming they look at everything in isolation. Max did his brake test to exactly get rid of Hamilton, because even the harshest punishment he could expect would be a race dq (that he was no where near getting) would have worked to his advantage.
I do agree that Max saw an opportunity in the moment and did it on purpose, though I think the punishment would have been much harsher than he was expecting if he had taken Lewis out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom