New Builds, Storey Homes - Anyone used them? (North East)

Can't type for toffee
Don
Hey all,

We're currently looking at new builds in the north East and was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of dealing with them?

Don't think there'll be any form of discounts or anything s likely just looking at paying what they're asking haha :( Been a long time since I did this house malarkey :p

Cheers

Wayne

Man of Honour
Regarding discounts just remember there is more to it than the headline price (which they will want to protect). You might be able to get something in terms of an allowance towards fixtures and fittings as they likely have a bit of markup on those anyway. So you can say look, you like the property, you are keen to move forward but act 'surprised' when you get the quotes for flooring etc (assuming you are considering it), maybe say that's more than you budgeted for so you need to look at funding for it, and see if they will offer a bit to seal the deal.

Admittedly, in the current market of rising prices there may be no shortage of buyers (they will tell you this regardless as their opening gambit, we had this even in the depths of the 2008 slump, even so far as saying "we don't send out brochures, we'd run out straight away") so you might not get very far, but just keep in mind their default stance will be a stonewall "no discounts, we don't need to give them the houses are flying off the shelves quicker than we can build them". That's just to set the tone for any negotiation, take it with a pinch of salt although as I say it's more plausible these days. At the end of the day, we ultimately bought our house for a price they said simply wasn't possible in the initial negotiations, admittedly in a different market than we see today.

Different builder btw.

Associate
As above, in terms of discounts, try and haggle for an allowance; we managed to get an allowance that was 2.6% of the purchase price, that we could use towards any extras. I also managed to get them to agree that if I had money left over from not using the allowance, they'd give me the allowance as money back. IIRC I got something like 1% of the house purchase price as cashback.

Associate
yes deffo one thing to check...

does it have a rent charge attached for the green areas maintenence or not.. if its a rent charge walk away unless you can get it swapped :p

outside of that.. new builds - if you can afford to pay for flooring etc seperate if its not included do so.. once you go down that route you'll be surprised what gets included

Soldato
yes deffo one thing to check...

does it have a rent charge attached for the green areas maintenence or not.. if its a rent charge walk away unless you can get it swapped :p

I think most new estates have green area maintenance charges as a lot of local councils are adopting as very minimal as possible to keep their own cost down.

Associate
I think most new estates have green area maintenance charges as a lot of local councils are adopting as very minimal as possible to keep their own cost down.

Yes this is true, some are a maintenance charge and others are a rent charge

Go do some research and see the difference

Soldato
I have experience of dealing with Story - I bought a new build on a site in Lancashire in 2015.

Ours was not a great experience but I can’t say too much more than that in public. Drop me a message via Trust and I’ll happily provide a detailed response to you directly.

Permabanned
I have experience of dealing with Story - I bought a new build on a site in Lancashire in 2015.

Ours was not a great experience but I can’t say too much more than that in public. Drop me a message via Trust and I’ll happily provide a detailed response to you directly.

Why can't you say much else in public?

Back
Top Bottom