IPhone 11 pro to 13 mini

Soldato
Am I daft for considering swapping from and 11 pro to 13 mini?

I loved the size of the iPhone 4/4S and 5S. The 11 pro feels slightly too big as I have small hands, message with right hand thumb only and so sometimes cant reach all the buttoms (e.g. emoji bottom left)

I could trade in my 11 pro and pay £389 for a 13 mini. I would gain 5G, 64GB in storage, A15 chip. I would lose screen space (but dpi is higher on 13 mini) and think the camera wont be as good. Battery life might be a bit worse too on the 13 mini

Associate
Whilst not quite the same I went from the iPhone XS to the 12 mini a year back for pretty much the same reasons. The small size is brilliant and they genuinally are back to being a one handed device.

Battery life on the 12 mini is passable. I'd say when it was brand new it was about as good as my 92%ish battery health XS (though the XS was a bit of a battery beast for it's day). Now my 12 mini is down to 93% health I'm starting to notice it a little bit. The battery certainly isnt as bad as some of the media outlets have you beleive for my use. I'd say at a weekend with idle browsing / going out a bit I can finish a day in the 40% remaining region. A work day where its getting used more on things like teams, and I work in a building with pretty horendours signal, I can be down to 20ish % just by the end of the work day. A quick plug in for my 20 minute drive home in the car sees its back to the 40% or so mark and then it copes the evening fine until going to bed. However, if you were trying to d oa busy work day, then busy evening all without getting near a plug I'd suggest it would be letting you down at some point in the evening. In truth I dont think I've ever had an occasion where I can't get it on some sort of USB port and I find that just a 20-30 minute top up is more than enough to get it through even the busiest of days.

As I understand it the 13 mini is slightly better than the 12 mini for this so you might find it a bit better than I do, but I certainly love it for its size and for me that makes the slightly worse battery well worth it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. I did read the 13 mini has quite inproved battery over the 12 mini (at the slight cost of increased size)

Battery on the 11 pro is great but im not a big user most of the time. I mainly use Safari and watch occasional youtube vids.

It’ll be nice going back to one handed phone use and may even make me use my phone less being smaller screen size - sounds odd but i hate being glued to a phone.

Going into an Apple shop tomorrow to try out a 13 mini (and check the 120hz screen on 13 pro) hopefully im not blown away!

Soldato
OP
Considering the hype same people on these mighty fine forums gave to 120Hz over the last couple of years, saying how different it is, how much smoother everything is….

I don’t notice any difference. None whatsoever.
I wont comment too much until i've seen them myself tomorrow, but it's not like we're playing full blown FPS games on a 120Hz, Gsync iPhone yet. Web browsing and youtube videos im pretty sure it wont make much of a difference

Soldato
OP
It won't be a noticeable step up unless you go to the pro versions. I'd probably wait another gen.
Rumours are that Apple will be discontinuing the mini after iPhone 13.

I went into an Apple store today and traded my iPhone 11 pro for £290 then bought the 13 mini.

Had a play with the mini before buying of course and its nice to be able to use a phone one handed again. Just simple things like being able to press the + button in Whatsapp with my right thumb again instead of using my left hand. The battery was reported as being good (100% max capacity) on my 11 pro but after an hour or so it would already drop to 80%

For the price (£448 inc a leather case) I gain a better form factor (for me) 5G which im on a 5G ready Three contract, new battery, faster chip. Lose out on camera, though the camera seems great so far, just no telephoto. It seems a trend to have as many lenses as possible on the back. I would ideally just like one very good lense instead of 2, 3, 4 or 20... Buy a professional camera like a Canon or Nikon if you want to take professional photos.

@Feek I did try the iPhone 13 pro and did notice the 120Hz instantly, it's more 'fluid' and reminded me of going 75>85Hz on a CRT. I come from CRT monitor days so have always been able to tell the difference and pick up on differences / flaws when moving from 60Hz>75Hz>85>100>120>160. The 120Hz was certainly nice but not enough to warrant the price and mainly the bigger device.

Now if a 14 mini comes out that has 120Hz then that would be the ideal phone.

Soldato
Considering the hype same people on these mighty fine forums gave to 120Hz over the last couple of years, saying how different it is, how much smoother everything is….

I don’t notice any difference. None whatsoever.

Same, I normally notice these things but don’t notice it at all. Even when I use someone’s 12.

Think it’s probably the android club saying “we’ve got better screens 120hz!”

Associate
The difference is definitely there. But the argument was always will people actually care - and I expect the vast majority won't.

Soldato
OP
The difference is definitely there. But the argument was always will people actually care - and I expect the vast majority won't.
Not until they start using 120Hz screens, then go back to 60 :)
I was always happy with 15” 60hz CRT…until I saw a ‘massive’ 17” 85hz Iiyama in the mid 90s

Back
Top Bottom