Need help to lose my glasses...

Soldato
I have a Saab 9-5, perfect for my work commute: quick enough (presently remapped at 235 bhp), economical enough (28 mpg average), comfortable.

However, it looks like it's wearing Dame Edna's glasses! I'd like to change headlight surrounds to either matt black, or satin chrome. What would be the best way to achieve this?

Associate
If you're going to redo the headlight surrounds from silver IMO it's going to look weird the grille surround still being 'chrome', my vote would be just trying to make them darker, rather than full black..
As above, plastidip is probably the best choice since it can be peeled off relatively easily.

Soldato
Body colour would probably camouflage them best if you did the grille surround as well, but painting chromed parts is always fraught with problems or works out expensive if done properly (blasted to strip the chrome, epoxy primer, paint & clearcoat)

Plastidip seems popular. Being slightly flexible it'll be less likely to chip off than paint, and easy to strip & redo if it does.

Or consider wrapping them.

Soldato
OP
Plastidip seems popular. Being slightly flexible it'll be less likely to chip off than paint, and easy to strip & redo if it does.

Or consider wrapping them.

I think they're the winning options if I go for it, will have to figure out how they unclip

Caporegime
Lots of people take them off and plastidip them. Does look a lot better. At least with plastidip it is easily reversible. You need to do the grill as well as otherwise it does look a little odd.

Then again I do prefer the second facelift but then I am biased ;)

Soldato
OP
Lots of people take them off and plastidip them. Does look a lot better. At least with plastidip it is easily reversible. You need to do the grill as well as otherwise it does look a little odd.

Then again I do prefer the second facelift but then I am biased ;)
Another 9-5 owner?

Caporegime
Another 9-5 owner?

Yes had my Aero coming up to 7 years now! Has taken me all over Europe.

Stage 1 tuned. Lowered on Eibach springs and Sachs dampers plus fully polybushed. Still very comfortable but can hustle a b road a little better than standard.

I was doing a 70 mile commute in it during lockdown and managed 33MPG over several thousand miles.

hxcfpQ9.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yes had my Aero coming up to 7 years now! Has taken me all over Europe.

Stage 1 tuned. Lowered on Eibach springs and Sachs dampers plus fully polybushed. Still very comfortable but can hustle a b road a little better than standard.

I was doing a 70 mile commute in it during lockdown and managed 33MPG over several thousand miles.

Very nice! I had a 1999 2.3T estate a few years ago, I loved it, and still think it's the best looking 9-5. Had the best rear lights :D

I've got a stage 1 NoobTune at the moment, plan for next year is to put the bigger turbo on, another remap, and a brake upgrade.

Did a trip up to the NEC recently, managed 35 to the gallon! Was very pleased with that :cool:

Back
Top Bottom