Volvo s40 Thoughts 2010 please

Associate
Posted about another caraa couple of days ago and someone linked this as an alternative. I know nothing about Volvos but this one looks pretty good. Any thoughts

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112080333165?atmobcid=soc3

The previous MOT mentions the Power Sterring hose/pipe is slightly corroded. Is that a big problem or is it an easy repair. And what is the S40 like in general? Thanks

Sgarrista
Commissario
Some interior pics would be nice but already that looks 100x better that what you were looking at before, it has age and use related marks but looks like for the most part it has been well cared for.

Power Sterring hose/pipe is slightly corroded.

Probably just the couplings, even if it does go its not a big job to fix.

And what is the S40 like in general?

Very comfy :)

Soldato
they had looked like they are volvo engines, though, fom wiki I scanned when we mentioned this car in other thread

The previous MOT mentions the Power Sterring hose/pipe is slightly corroded.
if that's all sounds good , does the mot report say where it was done to give confidence it was thorough, although I might contemplate getting a fresh mot/inspection on any car
I'd check e85/emissions compliance too, as I said.

Associate
OP
I'd check e85/emissions compliance too, as I said.

All I could find is this

"A Volvo Car UK spokesperson said: “As stated in the ACEA report, E10 fuel is cleared for use in every petrol-engined Volvo car produced since 1976, with the exception of a very small number of 1990s-built first-generation S40 and V40 models with the 1.8 GDI engine"

TBH Im not entirely sure if that's what Im looking for?

Soldato
Just make sure you test drive it, try all of the buttons, all the lights, wipers, radio, everything in the dash console test it, everything.

Make sure it's cold when you first start it, check the exhaust for any blue coloured smoke, check for mayonaise under the oil cap.

Volvos are generally ok but the electronics for all the gismo's can go (typical of more modern cars I guess) and you may want to make sure some of the systems havn't been bypassed or shorted. If you can take a look at the fuses to make sure they are still there. I'd say bring a disagnostics system in, plug it in and scan it, but unfortunately some Volvos (mine at least) are fussy about what ones will work so not worth spending £140 for an icarsoft of a generic £20 job wont work.

Get underneath and make sure there is no excessive corrosion. If you dont know much about cars have ask a mate that does if they will go with you, its much better to go with someone anyway then alone.

Caporegime
Well the S40 sold this morning before I had a chance to look at it :(

No surprise, its a fantastic car. The comfiest seats you will ever sit in in any car. And I actually thought it was a good price tbh in the current climate.

When you see Renault Meganes of similar age going for the same or more I know which one I would rather have.

Back
Top Bottom