• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA update RTX 3080Ti bios - yes , for mining unlocks

Soldato
If EVGA has a bios that disables LHR and is allowed to distribute it, it is because nvidia supplied it to them. Nvidia the company that keeps tight control over everything in their ecosystem, stuff like that doesn't happen by accident with a control freak like nvidia at the helm. So who is really at fault here?

Soldato
Yeah, this is clickbait title.

This BIOS was not released to improve mining. It was released to solve a problem that the EVGA 3080Ti XC3 has with poor performance because of not been able to hit the advertised boost clocks. There are threads about this on the EVGA forums going back for months.

This does not unlock the LHR and is nothing to do with Nvidia.

Cards from other Manufacturers and Even cards from EVGA were hitting 88/90MHs long before this Bios update was released.

And besides, NBminer and T-Rex miners have already bypassed most of the LHR blocks.

Soldato
Red Panda mining have disputed everything you said about 3080ti and lhr in the video

I don't give a crap what any miner thinks. This Bios wasn't released for mining. The EVGA XC3 was performing worse than the 3080Ti FE when it should have been performing way better. It couldn't hit the advertised power limit. Couldn't hold boost boost clocks. There are numerous threads about this issue on the EVGA forums.

And here is the mining rates of 3080Ti's from back in August.

Best GeForce RTX 3080 Ti LHR Overclock Settings for Mining Ethereum | Vicadia

Almost the same mining rates as the supposed "unlocked" bios, but with less power consumption.

Soldato
The video explains what the changes are and why (with the latest unlocked software) the mining rates start higher and with tweaking go up further with even less power. Why are you so offended?

Clickbait annoys me and your title is clickbait. It's not correct. The Bios update has nothing to do with mining. It is an update to solve a genuine problem with the XC3 cards.

Associate
A similar issue was also happening on the 20xx series where the AIB variants underperformed compared to the FE, ,even though they were clocked higher.

I'm not sure if any official bios was released but people did get around it by flashing different bioses to reach the target TDP.

Coincidentally, this also increased mining performance albeit not as much as the jump in the 3080ti series (with it being LHR and all).

I don't see why you're focusing on just this 1 gpu but not an entire previous generation. Nothing to do with nvidia/EVGA boosting mining performance only as opposed to fixing a bug with the bios.
I have to agree with melmac regarding the title being clickbait.

Edit: If you look further into it, you'll notice that the boost/fix is intended for gaming.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom