What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Wrath of Man - A Guy Ritchie/Statham film. You know what to roughly expect.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11083552/
6/10

The story is mildly interesting and keeps you 'gripped' to the end, but it does remind me of how teenagers were back in the day calling everyone/everything gay and each time you mentioned your mates other half you'd make crude jokes. Highlights all of the annoying traits of toxic masculinity.

Encounter - I won't ruin it - but it is a faux Sci-Fi cum Kidnapping film.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12800524/
6/10

Pretty good tbh. Interesting concept.

(disclaimer: 6/10 is my watch once rating).

Associate
Spider-Man: Far From Home.

There's something about the way this iteration of Peter has been thrust in with all the Avengers...I dunno, it just feels like he's a bit of a side character in his own films. I don't really know how to explain it, but the way it feels like he's always in Iron Man's shadow, it detracts a bit from the character IMO.

6.5/10.

Caporegime
Hereditary - 9/10

Thought it was brilliant. Utterly mental but found it really compelling throughout. I went into it pretty blind, and it went directions I did not expect. One of my favourite horror/psychological horror films I've seen.

Brilliant film. I've watched it a number of times now and still find little things that crop up that I don't think I noticed before. If you haven't seen it, watch Midsommar (same director). ;)

I like work by Jordan Peele as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got home from Spiderman - No Way Home. Really enjoyed it and one of the better Marvel-movies I've seen. Just annoyed with the people in the cinema cheearing and clapping at some moments as you couldn't hear what was being said on the screen...

Soldato
Venom 2 - 7/10

Didn't love the first and this might of just caught me in a good mood but I found it hilarious. Sure the story and some of the action seemed rushed but the I really liked the cracks between all the characters.

Soldato
Not really last night but from the last few nights.

Silent Night - Dark comedy about the "end of the world" filmed prior to covid irc, not to dissimilar to Melancholia with more humor. Decent watch, not to be taken to seriously, Roman Griffin Davis (jojo rabbit) puts in a very good performance for a young actor!

The French Dispatch - Not one of Wes Anderson's strongest films, a bit to much Wes Anderson if you know what i mean! The story just wasn't there to drive it along imo.

The Grey - Depressed and Surviving a plane crash is not enough for Liam Neelson and a few other rag tag few, some of the characters are cookie cutter/predictable and tbh felt a bit let down with this one, switch of brain watchable but cant say i missed out much by sitting on it for so long. One positive is it gave birth to the track Into the Fray, a cracking tune.

Man of Honour
Dune (2021)

Almost everything about this film is great.

The production design, the cinematography, the score, the acting, even the fact the film makers manage to make very complicated plot and story elements fairly easy to follow for people who haven't read the book.

But for me, just like Arrival and Bladerunner 2049, Denis Villeneuve seems to make sci-fi films that just don't click with me and I find them too slow and boring with no emotional connection or empathy for any of his characters.

Although I did enjoy Bladerunner 2049 more when I watched it for a second time, knowing it was a slow burn film. The same can't be said for Arrival. I've also watched this twice and it just didn't do it for me.

Maybe when we get Dune part 2 and I rewatch Dune part 1 I'll think differently.

6/10

Associate
Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) - 7/10

A good all round superhero action film with great special effects and cast of characters.

The way it brings together the multiverse does allow for some entertaining surprises, but the lack of a new or single villain as well as the seeming invulnerability of the hero does negatively impact the tension.

There’s a good amount of humour and drama, but little stands out as truly great in this ‘greatest hits’ compilation.

Soldato
Three billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

An absolute masterpiece from the guy behind In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. I don't think I've ever watched a film that turned from laugh-out-loud funny to utterly bleak so quickly or so often. Part black comedy, part crime drama, it tells the story of a collection of damaged people in small town America dealing with the fallout from a hideous crime. The writing, timing, acting, and filmography are just absolutely on point throughout. If you're looking for something genuinely different and thought provoking, you need to watch this film.

A must watch 10/10.

Just watched it and whilst I did enjoy it... it also seemed a little aimless? I agree the acting was fantastic, a great cast too, I guess I feel like it didn't really know what it was. Just (part of?) an interesting story? 7/10

Back
Top Bottom