Precision Screwdriver Set

Soldato
Looking to get some decent, yet inexpensive :p precision screwdrivers. I've a couple of cheap sets, but both have missing/broken screwdrivers/bits.

I quite like the look of the Xiaomi Mijia Wiha set.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383588220320?hash=item594fa3bda0:g:3hkAAOSwjYFe4rWE

How can I tell if these are genuine? They're a bit cheaper on aliexpress/banggood, but then there's still the risk of fakes, plus import charges etc.

Any other suggestions?

Man of Honour
I've no idea if these are rubber stamped by the quality tool gods, however - as well as a Wera set - I have the ifixit mako set which seems worth it for just a tenner more than that set you liked. It reviews very well and I've had no issues myself, but it's a larger set. That'll be either a pro or con depending on your particular requirements.

Soldato
wiha ones ... yes not made in germany anymore
I'd specced these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AGI8SWS
but eventually just bought the specific T bits I needed for phone dissection from amazon
(goddam amazon who don't show the full orders in your emails anymore)
eg Wera 5118040001 Jewellers & Instrument Screwdrivers, Multi-Colour, TX 5 x 40 mm

Soldato
OP
I've no idea if these are rubber stamped by the quality tool gods, however - as well as a Wera set - I have the ifixit mako set which seems worth it for just a tenner more than that set you liked. It reviews very well and I've had no issues myself, but it's a larger set. That'll be either a pro or con depending on your particular requirements.

Thanks

iFixit have a sale on currently as well. I just took delivery of the Classic bundle and it's pretty comprehensive.

iFixit Store UK

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Y'all nuts. I have a draper set that cost me a fiver :o

I have something similar. It's broken. That's why I want something better :p

wiha ones ... yes not made in germany anymore
I'd specced these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AGI8SWS
but eventually just bought the specific T bits I needed for phone dissection from amazon
(goddam amazon who don't show the full orders in your emails anymore)
eg Wera 5118040001 Jewellers & Instrument Screwdrivers, Multi-Colour, TX 5 x 40 mm

Thanks, but verging into more than I want to spend there.

Associate
I bought a HPMAISON 122 in 1 Precision Screwdriver Set from amazon and it's been great, used daily and none of the bits have given up or started to round any screws. The plastic pries aren't the best, but I don't use them.

Soldato
I have to say i got a set from Lidl or Aldi several years ago for about £10 i think and it's still going strong, it's taken apart literally hundreds of laptops in work and i've not rounded a bit or broken anything yet. For such small screws they're never going to be really tight so if you're breaking bits i've no idea what you're doing :p

Soldato
I can't force myself to pay the premium price for an iFixit set, regardless of how well people rate them - probably people trying to justify their expensive purchase to the missus. :p

I've had this set for a while now and I love it. Sometimes I can be heavy handed, but, so far, no bits in this set have snapped. I've always found that the sets with shiny metal bits snap the easiest.

I have been using a set of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interchangeable-Precision-Screwdriver-screwdriver-Eyeglass/dp/B06XRQ33CC/ref=sr_1_23?crid=2YJNC76I5JN1A&keywords=precision+screwdriver&qid=1639728815&sprefix=precision+screwdriver,aps,66&sr=8-23 for the past 10 years to tear down and repair laptops and phones and they are still going strong. I have an iFixit set but they are rubbish compared to these. I do like the iFixit tray for keeping the screws in though.
I tried one of those sets, but hated the screwdriver as I found it didn't give me much grip. For example when I wanted to undo a tight screw, I found that handle just to slide in my grip. :(

Associate
I can't force myself to pay the premium price for an iFixit set, regardless of how well people rate them - probably people trying to justify their expensive purchase to the missus. :p

I've had this set for a while now and I love it. Sometimes I can be heavy handed, but, so far, no bits in this set have snapped. I've always found that the sets with shiny metal bits snap the easiest.

I tried one of those sets, but hated the screwdriver as I found it didn't give me much grip. For example when I wanted to undo a tight screw, I found that handle just to slide in my grip. :(
I can honestly say I have never encountered a screw that tight and I must have worked on thousands. Even threadlocker never posed a problem.

Soldato
I can honestly say I have never encountered a screw that tight and I must have worked on thousands. Even threadlocker never posed a problem.
It's probably just me then. :o I prefer the plastic screwdrivers with a small amount of rubber for grip.

Soldato
The screws in the bottom of an iphone used to be a PITA sometimes if someone had not taken care before I opened it up, but I bought a set of screwdrivers that cost about £5 each (4 screwdrivers in total) and I haven't had a problem opening up an iphone since.

I also own an ifixit kit and it is decent quality, they sell some of them on Amazon now, and they have various sized kits
I got this one for £30
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0189YWOIO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My use case is probably different to yours though, although I am tending towards better quality tools nowadays if I can just because they will last and I don't have to worry about replacing them or them not being up to the job.
I have a cheap set of Rolson screwdrivers and pieces would literally snap off the tips.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Just bought to Xiaomi torque set from the official Xiaomi store on Ali express. Top bit of kit tbh. Very recommend by myself if that counts for owt

Soldato
OP
Went for the iFixit Mako kit in the end as I had an Amazon voucher to use. Looks good quality and the case is nice. Hopefully it'll contain everything I need and last!

The only negative I've found so far is that the symbols for the bits are in black on a black background, which makes them difficult to see.

Soldato
Went for the iFixit Mako kit in the end as I had an Amazon voucher to use. Looks good quality and the case is nice. Hopefully it'll contain everything I need and last!

The only negative I've found so far is that the symbols for the bits are in black on a black background, which makes them difficult to see.
The one bit that I use the most has been painted white around the stem for this very reason, when I read the reviews people were complaining about this as the older kits came in a wooden box and the symbols were apparently easier to read.

Soldato

I have this set and it’s top drawer. Will last a lifetime :)

Back
Top Bottom