Dogs eating raisins and chocolate

Associate
When I was growing up 30 years ago, our dogs ate chocolate and grapes at least once a week, in fact I'm sure we actually fed them grapes as treats. Every dog we had died very old.

My girlfriend just rushed her dog to the vet after eating raisins, after a quick google, every site is saying even one grape can kill a dog.

Were we just uneducated before the interwebs?

Soldato
More like different dogs have different levels of reaction.

Like humans have peanut allergies. That could mean someone gets an itchy mouth, maybe swelling, maybe death.

Soldato
Chocolate has theobromides that are toxic to dogs, cats and probably other carnivores I remember giving my cat chocolate which he'd go nuts for though very rarely. Everyone was more ignorant back then.

Soldato
we had a lab growing up who thought nothing of polishing off a tin of roses (somehow leaving the wrappers!...) much to the dismay of 12year old me, he lived to +12 years, i doubt it did him any good (nor the Easter eggs he also made little work of) but thats likely to the questionable chocolate content of said sweets! but like the saying goes ignorance is bliss

Last edited:
Caporegime
Chocolate has theobromides that are toxic to dogs, cats and probably other carnivores I remember giving my cat chocolate which he'd go nuts for though very rarely. Everyone was more ignorant back then.
most animals on the planet have problems with chocolate, personally I can eat 500grams quite easily and the only negative outcome is guilt

Soldato
I had a cat that used to eat custard creams in the 80s. Modern cats are pussies.

I had similar, my cat used to have a thing for jam tarts. When he thought nobody was looking he used jump onto the kitchen shelves and help himself. If they were still boxed he'd drag the box off the shelf and chew at it until he could get in. Funniest thing ever was when he did it with some lemon curd tarts, he walked in with a sticky yellow nose and face and did that thing where they they to wipe stuff off and all the time he was looking at me with such disdain as if he was blaming me for his misadventure.

Associate
As a pup, our Springer spaniel wolfed down a punnet of cherry pips. After the missus googled they were DEFINITELY gonna kill the poor animal it was rushed to the vets. It was given a 300 quid pill to make it throw up the pits. 30 minutes later not a thing was thrown up. After much sucking of teeth from the vet, I decided not to give it another 300 quid pill and took it home to watch it die an agonising death.

The next day, the garden was covered in cherry pits and it was shooting them out for hours..........

Soldato
Same for onions and garlic. Whist you might not see any reaction with one, it could still cause problems, so better safe than sorry.

We're very cautious with chocolate, grapes, garlic, and onion around our boy.

Associate
Neighbour was dog sitting a friends Labrador who is a massive scavenger for food and has to be hidden, she had just come back from shopping and was emptying the boot of the car and she brought a kilo bar of tolberone and the dog grabbed it from the boot ran onto the village green ripped the box open and ate it all including the foil.

Neighbour rushed it to the vets and was given charcoal and a drip and was sick everywhere but lived.

I had a border collie and he ate my whole tenth birthday chocolate cake like it was nothing and had no ill effects.

Soldato
They’re not allergic to chocolate necessarily, but cocoa.

Milk chocolate doesn’t have much cocoa in it compared to dark chocolate.

I’d asked my local vet this question before, and they told my about a story where a dog had eaten an entire dark chocolate cake, and it was fine other than being really, really, really, really hyper :D

Like with many things, it’s often over exaggerated and with little evidence to back it up.

It’s probably best to avoid grapes and chocolate, but your dog will probably be fine if it steals some :)

Soldato

Toxic to humans as well I believe only we metabolise it so fast that its not possible to consume enough to cause an issue (or something like that)..

Quick Google and 5x the dose per kg of body weight to poison a human.. Compared to a dog

Soldato
Toxic to humans as well I believe only we metabolise it so fast that its not possible to consume enough to cause an issue (or something like that)..

Quick Google and 5x the dose per kg of body weight to poison a human.. Compared to a dog

Humans are omnivores and like herbivores have a tolerance for plant toxins that obligate carnivores do not even small quantities of plant toxins can be dangerous to them whereas our livers have the ability to metabolise mild toxins without issue. Personally too much chocolate makes me quesy and a bit nauseous but whether thats the toxin or more likely a sugar/fat overload in the blood stream I'm not sure.

Soldato
we had a Engish bull terrier -white with black spot - she loved Cadburys and if she was flat out asleep by the fire - no matter how you tried to quietly open a bar when in kitchen within seconds she was sitting at your feet.
She loved it and lived to a good old age.

Soldato
I once walked into the living room to find the cat on the table with her head in the Christmas cake. She'd eaten quite a bit. No ill effects for her, apart from possible deafness from me bellowing with rage.

Back
Top Bottom