• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the rest of my PC good enough for a 3070Ti?

Soldato
I've unexpectedly managed to buy a 3070Ti FE (I was expecting another several months wait) i'm wondering if my PC is actually good enough to make full use of it (I know i should have thought about this before I bought).

My PSU is a seven year old EVGA 850W, my CPU is a 5820k and I'm running 16gb of 2133mhz RAM.

Thanks

Soldato
Not a great match, the cpu is 2014 and the gpu was release mid 2021 so there is a huge gap in age.

in an ideal world where we all make the fake news average wages of £26K + a year you would want to get a 12600K

Soldato
Do you have it overclocked? A 5820K is no slouch for gaming when pushed up to the 4.5GHz sort of area. Faster than Zen 2 in some cases (like the Far Cry games), and about on par for the most part. You would be absolutely fine for the vast majority of games at 1440p or above. There are a handful of titles that are really brutal on the CPU which will leave you bottlenecked, but the same is true of, say, an R5 3600. Halo Infinite is a good example of that, where even a 10900K struggles at times. But then that game is horribly optimised at the moment.

Some better RAM would also help, especially in terms of lows. Getting 3200 to work on X99 can be a challenge, but 3000 is generally easy.

Soldato
OP
I have it OC'd to 4.2ghz and I game at 1440p.

I may just forget about the 3070ti until i'm in a position to build a whole new PC in 18 months or so.

Soldato

I may just forget about the 3070ti until i'm in a position to build a whole new PC in 18 months or so.
I mean, it's a good time to forget about buying a new GPU in general, but you shouldn't let your CPU alone put you off. It would still provide a much, much better gaming experience than the Vega 64 I assume you're using based on your signature.

Associate
to help alleviate CPU bottleneck you can just turn up the pretty. You may not be able to get the absolute most out of it, but you will be able to crank anything up to the highest of the high graphics settings and still have a good time :)

Soldato
You will be CPU bottlenecked. ram should also be 3200 to compliment that 3070ti
The 5820 has quad channel RAM (if 4*4GB) so even 2133 will give good bandwidth. If running @4.2 the CPU should still be quite good for most games. Upgrading the CPU will probably improve the minimum FPS but unless the game uses > 6 cores you should be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, it will bottleneck and affect minimum frame rates in more recent games, but at the same time whenever you decide tomypgrade your CPU they're much easier to find than a reasonable GPU right now.

Associate
How long is the warranty on your power supply? If it's 10 years, use the card. If it's 7 years or less, replace the power supply. 7 years old means possibly an old group-regulated design, which isn't ideal for a 529 quid 3000 series card. No warranty means you're out of luck if it messes up any other hardware. Sure, you have more chance it'll work fine for quite a while before anything bad may happen. But I know if it was me, I'd want that peace of mind and if I have 529 quid for a new card, I should also have 100 more quid for a decent power supply.

You have MM access, I've seen a few decent power supplies go for reasonable prices on there recently. I'd check that out.

CPU at 1440k no real problem. Okay, you may not see the FPS counter as high as with a more recent chip. But you will see a noticeable uplift and as @Aretak says, overclock it to at least 4.5Ghz and you'll probably find you're pretty happy running with it for the time being. At 1440p, your choke point becomes your GPU.

Keep it, use it, maybe even mine back some of the money for it and put that towards a system upgrade.

Associate

I think the 5820k will be fine in the vast majority of games, especially with the overclock.

In some titles you might be a bit CPU limited but I don't think you will be disappointed with the new GPU.

Soldato
Until you tell us your target fps no one can tell you whether the cpu will be a bottleneck. Certainly the limiting factor on a 144fps system but if your just on 60fps most games will run fine.

Back
Top Bottom