Too old to play Doom Eternal

Associate
So I got to about level 3 of DE, just stuck, set from medium to easy still no good, must have tried 20+ times, it must be the first game I've given up on ( apart from rubbish ones) some of the demons just seem so tough compared to 2016
Maybe at 57 it's time to call it a day, although I did just finish RE Village no problems
Anybody else struggling with this game ?

Soldato
watch some youtube videos for tips from strong players who complete it on the hardest setting.

you cant copy them but you can see how they avoid taking damage, how they move and make use of pick ups etc.......

Soldato
So I got to about level 3 of DE, just stuck, set from medium to easy still no good, must have tried 20+ times, it must be the first game I've given up on ( apart from rubbish ones) some of the demons just seem so tough compared to 2016
Maybe at 57 it's time to call it a day, although I did just finish RE Village no problems
Anybody else struggling with this game ?

My nippa plays it and loves it.

To be honest, I am 43 and just watch and go "derp". Honestly, it is sooo fast paced and this old fart cannot keep up :)

RE Village is a great game but is much slower than Doom so I can play that - LOL

Man of Honour
TBH a lot of it is jumping through hoops for the sake of jumping through hoops, once you get certain routines and patterns down pat the game becomes pretty easy. Not a fan myself as it kind of forces you to play a specific way to succeed. Prefer the combat in older Dooms.

Associate
OP
Just had a look at a you tube walkthrough, jeez, so fast, I think I'll end up with palpitations, put there is a pattern to it all, think I'll go back to RDR2,
That's a nice steady game, but it's so big, I'm not even on 50%

Man of Honour
I largely enjoyed Doom 2016 - but Eternal just leaves me uninterested sadly the story gets way over the top and the combat gameplay loops are basically pat your head while rubbing your belly for the sake of it kind of stuff for no real good reason.

Soldato
You could always use a "trainer" like Wemod or Plitch to get you through the difficult bits.
Seems a shame to give up so early on.
Tbh (i'm 50) i did find the relentless pace fairly tough to cope with, hence using a trainer and just switching it on/off when required.
Just don't use them in online play for obvious reasons.

Associate
I prefer Doom 2016 over DE, but once you start learning the enemies weak points and figure out the patterns to the jumps it's not to hard. Beyond that it's using the glory kills and flammer on cool down to keep your ammo/health and armour topped up which is probably my least favorite part of the game, it feels far more like resource management at that point. I recently picked up the two expansions just so I can get the end of the story (well what there is of it) but have yet to start them.

Soldato
I think some sections later on can be challenging even on Normal difficulty, died plenty of times. You can always lower difficulty at any time I believe.

Associate
I prefer Doom 2016 over DE, but once you start learning the enemies weak points and figure out the patterns to the jumps it's not to hard. Beyond that it's using the glory kills and flammer on cool down to keep your ammo/health and armour topped up which is probably my least favorite part of the game, it feels far more like resource management at that point. I recently picked up the two expansions just so I can get the end of the story (well what there is of it) but have yet to start them.

+1 on this. Much prefer Doom 2016 because of these reasons. More tactical than 2016 which spoilt the flow of the game. Have you tried 2016? I'm 50 and was able to complete both games on normal difficulty no problem.

Associate
I competed this the other day on the PS4, once you unlock cheat codes you can go back and use them in levels if you still have things to collect, the only thing you cant do with the cheat codes is the slayer key fights. It took me a little while to get used to the movement as im more used to playing Cod on PC with mouse and keyboard which to me feels faster, but the one thing I learned quickly was you never stand still, and use the weapon upgrades e.g. the grenade upgrade for the basic shotgun is useful for taking out cacodemons aka flying tomatoes

Man of Honour

This basically.

Plus you really need to complete the Slayer gates, Secret Encounters and find all the stuff that upgrades suit and abilites, as well as completing level and weapon challenges as you go through the earlier levels. This will give you more chances of completing the more difficult encounters as you go.

I'm 52 and don't think age is the issue, it's definitely tougher than Doom 2016 (I completed that on Nightmare, but die a lot in Doom Eternal on Hurt me Plenty) But it's not the same game as Doom 2016 and you have to either except that and play it the way the developers want or leave it be.

Man of Honour
DE pacing / scaling is a bit off, the early game is hard because you haven't unlocked enough weapons/abilities etc yet meaning you run out of ammo a lot. Once you hit the mid game it gets a lot easier simply because you are carrying more ammo. So if you can push through it you might find the game more enjoyable, I'd estimate 70% of my deaths came in the first third of the game.

That said, my ultimate conclusion is it may not be worth persevering with, it's less enjoyable than Doom 2016.

Man of Honour
and you have to either except that and play it the way the developers want or leave it be.

Yeah :( I just didn't enjoy it the way the developers intended so dropped it. Doom 2016 you had much more freedom how you approached it and far better game for that.

Caporegime
I find it too fast paced for the kind of gaming I’m after these days. Quite enjoyed 2016.

I love 2016, the issue for me though is that at times I find the middle difficulty too difficult, and the easy difficulty is far too easy to the point where you may as well be invincible, and it completely ruins the experience.

I need a difficulty which slots in the middle...

V F

V F

Soldato
I find it too fast paced for the kind of gaming I’m after these days. Quite enjoyed 2016.

The Ancient Gods Part 1 can get your heart racing so fast on Nightmare more so with the possessed demons. They're psycho. They're moving so fast and so spongy yet deal crazy damage. Whether it is the red or blue. Nightmare on Ancient Gods Part 1 is totally different to Nightmare campaign. They throw everything at you.

The blue ones are the worst as you have to kill the spirit before it finds a new host. As you better have lots of plasma cells to kill the spirit, it's more pain all over again if it gets a new host.

When I went back to 2016, I missed so much of the quick switching from Eternal plus the Ballista. Plus there is so much fun from the meathook.

Back
Top Bottom