Need info on parallels on Mac M1

Soldato
I'm looking to run an old windows x86/64 game on Windows parallels (supreme commander forged alliance) and iv seen people on YouTube do it.....but I can't seem to find a straight forward answer if I can install non arm windows on parallels on my Macbook Pro m1 max.

I guess it must be possible, but what are people's experiences? It would have to be emulated I'd guess?

Soldato
OP
As Feek mentioned, only Arm variants of OS's can be virtualised on Apple Silicon but 'Windows 11 on Arm' (insider programme) supports x64 emulation, so perhaps it's done via that.
Best asking on the YT video or Reddit posts.

Ahhh that'll be it then, I'll try windows 11 arm then and see how it's emulation goes? Good job the m1 max is fast, virtualised and then emulated will take a hit! Lol

Associate
I’ve finally been able to work around my need to run any Windows VMs.
I suspect you've already shared this but I have a couple of old Windows XP VMs and looking for a solution. My memory is not what it was, could you point me in the right direction please?

Commissario
I suspect you've already shared this but I have a couple of old Windows XP VMs and looking for a solution. My memory is not what it was, could you point me in the right direction please?
It won't be much help to you I'm afraid. I've found Mac equivalents of everything I needed to run under Windows.

Soldato
You can run most-ish s/w on Windows 11 on ARM from what I've found. If you've a copy of what you want to test I can give it a go for you if it would help?

Associate
They're old mobile module development environments. Occasionally I have to make a tweak. I can live with the VM solution I have now for those rare occasions but thanks for the offer :cool:

Soldato
You can emulate x86 operating systems directly on M1 macs (hell, even on jailbroken iPads) with Qemu which is free and open source. There's also UTM (which is Qemu under the hood).

Qemu is basically the king of emulation, Apple heavily contributes to the project. You can even emulate other ISAs on M1/x86 (e.g. RISC-V on AMD CPUs).

Back
Top Bottom