Power supply dead after less then week

Associate
Just got a new system from Overclockers not even had it a week and the power supply just died, my PC suddenly died now won't turn on checked the power cable to wall that is fine. The system I got was OcUK Gaming Oxygen Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, GeForce RTX 3060Ti. What are the chances of a power suppply dieing like this?

Associate
With mass produced parts there's always going to be a few unlucky ones in the mix. The one you got isn't high end which increases the chances of a dud, but all the shops tend to use similar priced ones.

I'd check the fuse on the lead first, but if you post in the Customer Services section they'll help you out.

Associate
OP
With mass produced parts there's always going to be a few unlucky ones in the mix. The one you got isn't high end which increases the chances of a dud, but all the shops tend to use similar priced ones.

I'd check the fuse on the lead first, but if you post in the Customer Services section they'll help you out.

I plugged the lead into a monitor and it worked, thanks I have already emailed Overclockers should I post there too?

I waited 13days to get the system which was much longer then they quoted so I fell behind on work only for it to die few days after receiving it im totally gutted :( Im hoping they just send out a new PSU anymore delays are really gonna mess me up as I work from home.

My previous system died hence my dilemma...

Associate
I'd post in the customer services forum also, reason being there might be more activity there as opposed to emails due to it being Sunday tomorrow, and it sounds like your situation is not great. I'd expect a new PSU Tuesday myself if they can promise that (it's certainly doable, but i can understand they may want the old one back before hand, but it is xmas so that's cutting it tight), as the alternative is lose your business by sending the whole machine back and just buying a new machine elsewhere.

Soldato
What are the chances of a power suppply dieing like this?
Likely lot more than small with those prebuilts coming with Kolink's garbage PSUs.
Besides in general low design&construction quality and performance no doubt they also receive shorter factory testing to keep price down.
Which of course lets through more "infant mortality" cases.

Soldato
/\/\/\ This. I've checked the specs & the PSU states '600w 80+ Bronze'. If a Kolink PSU is powering that rig you can buy them separately for £40- ish. That doesnt inspire me in a rig that cost £1.5k. If you can take said PSU out & the shop will accept an RMA of the PSU only then do it. Order one of these to get you back up & running in time for Xmas.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £83.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. Im beyond disappointed, I waited 12 working days for the system which was longer then overlookers quoted so I was behind on work, when it arrived just as I got everything setup and started to catchup it died while I was editing a video, so I've lost work too. I was very happy with the system and its performance was amazing atleast coming from my previous setup.

But it's almost been 3weeks without having a setup good enough to do heavy video editing. It could be worse I suppose but the overall experience has more been stress then I needed. Overclockers support always replied to my emails quickly atleast, I find there support generally good. I haven't had a reply yet since it's a Sunday im just hoping it's a simple PSU swap. Do you think I should just accept this is unlucky or could have Overclockers done better I guess they would have had no way of knowing the PSU was going to spontaneously die....

I did almost go with a prebuild but this system met exactly the kind of specs I wanted and I removed the OS and additional harddrive space as I had my own already so the final price wasn't to bad. On there site it said 10working days and 7working days lower on the page so I assumed it would be somewhere in between but after ordering and chasing them they told me 10-15days.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If that is a crappy Kolink psu they will most likely swap like for like so you will end up with another crappy unit. Insist on a upgrade to a decent brand such as Corsair, Seasonic, Phanteks etc even if you have to pay the difference. Kolink is being pushed by OCUK's parent company and they probably get them for next to nothing. Fitting one in a pc costing £1.5k is not acceptable.

Associate
OP
If that is a crappy Kolink psu they will most likely swap like for like so you will end up with another crappy unit. Insist on a upgrade to a decent brand such as Corsair, Seasonic, Phanteks etc even if you have to pay the difference. Kolink is being pushed by OCUK's parent company and they probably get them for next to nothing. Fitting one in a pc costing £1.5k is not acceptable.

Thanks I think this is a good idea, I was thinking about doing that. I should have checked the PSU before I purchased but honestly I didn't expect it at this price and things being so hectic it just slipped my mind. Even after I checked the PSU after it died I didn't even check the brand until you guys mentioned. Infact the last PSU Overclockers recommended to me years ago was a EVGA 600w 80 Bronze and it lasted 5years still going strong in my other pc with a dead graphics card...

Last edited:
Soldato
/\/\/\ This. I've checked the specs & the PSU states '600w 80+ Bronze'. If a Kolink PSU is powering that rig you can buy them separately for £40- ish. That doesnt inspire me in a rig that cost £1.5k. If you can take said PSU out & the shop will accept an RMA of the PSU only then do it. Order one of these to get you back up & running in time for Xmas.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £83.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I just looked too, I think it's pretty bad that they don't state a psu. It shouldn't be a lottery or a hidden fact that you may end up with a low end psu on a £1.5k system. That's the kind of tricks the low end builders do.

Soldato
I should have checked the PSU before I purchased but honestly I didn't expect it at this price and things being so hectic it just slipped my mind.
Cheap outdated design and low quality PSU is standard feature in lots of market PCs and prebuilts.
Alternative trick is taking not that much better lowest end cheap PSU of some big brand.
Those cover most of market PCs and prebuilts.
While at the same time there are too often overpriced fashion parts.

Associate
OP
I spoke to Overclockers they agreed to send me an upgraded replacement which is
"Seasonic G12-GC-650 650W 80+ Gold" hopefully this is the end of my problems, the dead unit was semi modular were as this one is fixed cables, not sure of the pros and cons of that but aslong as it works thats fine. Thanks

Soldato
I spoke to Overclockers they agreed to send me an upgraded replacement which is
"Seasonic G12-GC-650 650W 80+ Gold" hopefully this is the end of my problems, the dead unit was semi modular were as this one is fixed cables, not sure of the pros and cons of that but aslong as it works thats fine. Thanks

Fingers crossed that lasts more than a week. Shame they didn't offer something better, even if you had to pay the difference. The Corsair RM suggested above would have been a good option.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't be happy about that. It may say Seasonic on the label but they farmed it out to a third party OEM, Helly by the looks of it. That usually means lower quality components than a Seasonic built unit. There is very little information and no reviews on these psu's either. Wouldn't they let you pay extra towards a far better psu?

Associate
OP
Im not really well versed on power supplies seagate from my knowledge was good and they didn't charge me extra. Im desperate to get back up and running so I phoned first thing this morning hoping it would be shipped today, perhaps I should have just payed the extra for something but they said it was a good power supply, It's been more then 3weeks without a decent setup so Im abit of a broken man right now haha. I use my PC for working from home and for fun so I've been abit lost. I have been using my really old PC and the motherboards on-board graphics since the graphics card died but I haven't been able to do any video editing(my job) or gaming. I've pretty much just been crying eating ice cream going to the gym and wondering what to do with myself. I did manage to render a very basic video as the CPU was still alive but the experience editing wasn't fun since I edit in 4k.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can't afford anymore delays the new PSU is coming tomorrow so hopefully I don't have anymore issues. I appreciate all of your help, I was surprised how many of you offered feedback and suggestions it made things alittle less stressful, though in hindsight I probably should have just gone with the PSU you guys recommended and payed the difference but Im so strap for cash already and the seagate seemed like a decent upgrade so I agreed. I can't really fault them on there support, they were fast to respond and helpful it's just been a bad experience of delays getting the system, chasing for my free offers, then the PSU dieing after literally a few days use. If I have any problems with the new PSU I will report back. The case is kolink and Im very happy with it so far lets hope it doesn't spontaneously combut too. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom