Living in a terrace house

Soldato
What about a semi with halls a joining and bedrooms /lounge furthest away from party wall might be within your budget?

I think most modern semi's are built this way. Ours has mostly the hallway and stairs that run the adjoining wall, which means the living room is on opposite ends, so you can blast your TV out as loud as you like and not have to worry about it.

I’m just sick of the neighbour across the way complaining about my 7am sainsburys Saturday delivery

:cry::cry: That old chestnut.

Man of Honour
Terraced houses are usually cheaper and have lower heating costs.

I know what you mean though, noise from neighbours comes with the territory and you are highly likely to have an overlooked/overheard garden (one of the reasons we don't spend much time in it).
Now that electric vehicles are starting to gain tractions that can bring with it more problems for terraces, as it may be hard to fit a charging station that is accessible from where you park your car (this is the case for our house).

If we move house again I imagine we are likely to seek a detached property.

The one thing I will never do again if I can help it is live next to a flat.

Soldato
We’ve lived in a mid terrace for the last 8 years and have been really lucky with our neighbours. I’m a professional musician so that’s pretty important! I play bass trombone and tuba so it’s not quiet….

Apart from my own practice, I teach at home on Saturday mornings and Thursday evenings and I’ve never had any complaint. My kids are also now both playing instruments and practice pretty much every day. I do make sure I keep it to sociable hours. Never before 10am or after 7pm.

My son is currently practising his trumpet in the lounge, and I’m really happy he can enjoy playing without anyone minding. I dread the day either neighbour moves, as anyone awkward moving in could make things really miserable.

Soldato
We’ve lived in a mid terrace for the last 8 years and have been really lucky with our neighbours. I’m a professional musician so that’s pretty important! I play bass trombone and tuba so it’s not quiet….

Apart from my own practice, I teach at home on Saturday mornings and Thursday evenings and I’ve never had any complaint. My kids are also now both playing instruments and practice pretty much every day. I do make sure I keep it to sociable hours. Never before 10am or after 7pm.

My son is currently practising his trumpet in the lounge, and I’m really happy he can enjoy playing without anyone minding. I dread the day either neighbour moves, as anyone awkward moving in could make things really miserable.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must be a very uncaring person to be blasting those things in a terraced house!! Crazy!!!

Soldato
I play bass trombone and tuba so it’s not quiet…. (snip)
As above you must have totally lucked out with your neighbours!

I mostly grew up in detached houses, until I went to Uni which was a terraced houseshare. We used to call our neighbour crazy at the time but god knows how he didn't murder us all in our sleep. Poor guy, lived in an innocuous area that had turned into students-ville. We weren't bad by any stretch but eurgh. Feel for him now that I'm older and wiser :(

Until previously we lived on a very quiet road around the corner in London. Converted victorian house, cleverly done so our lounge was at the front, our downstairs neighbours lounge was at the back. No competing telly/sleeping crossover. Our two bedrooms were in the loft and not attached so no sound through the walls or anything. It was brilliant.

We're now in our terraced house and it's not actually bad at all. Our neighbours one side have a 2 year old that cries a lot but never at night (or we never hear it). They're really paranoid and can never stop apologising for her though. We hear her through the walls occasionally but it's fairly well deadened. The other side is a divorced guy who lives on his own. He's very quiet 99% of the time although we recently we have occasionally heard the odd lady-friend over! Fortunately that doesn't go on for very long :p My girlfriend finds it quite cringe but hey... Once we have the loft converted we should be in good shape. Much less road noise, not attached to aforementioned divorcee, and I believe the other neighbours only use their loft as an office. Fingers crossed it'll be just that little bit quieter.

Permabanned
As above you must have totally lucked out with your neighbours!

I mostly grew up in detached houses, until I went to Uni which was a terraced houseshare. We used to call our neighbour crazy at the time but god knows how he didn't murder us all in our sleep. Poor guy, lived in an innocuous area that had turned into students-ville. We weren't bad by any stretch but eurgh. Feel for him now that I'm older and wiser :(

Until previously we lived on a very quiet road around the corner in London. Converted victorian house, cleverly done so our lounge was at the front, our downstairs neighbours lounge was at the back. No competing telly/sleeping crossover. Our two bedrooms were in the loft and not attached so no sound through the walls or anything. It was brilliant.

We're now in our terraced house and it's not actually bad at all. Our neighbours one side have a 2 year old that cries a lot but never at night (or we never hear it). They're really paranoid and can never stop apologising for her though. We hear her through the walls occasionally but it's fairly well deadened. The other side is a divorced guy who lives on his own. He's very quiet 99% of the time although we recently we have occasionally heard the odd lady-friend over! Fortunately that doesn't go on for very long :p My girlfriend finds it quite cringe but hey... Once we have the loft converted we should be in good shape. Much less road noise, not attached to aforementioned divorcee, and I believe the other neighbours only use their loft as an office. Fingers crossed it'll be just that little bit quieter.

he has arrived victor meldew :D
Seems to know a lot about all the neighbours

Soldato
You must be a very uncaring person to be blasting those things in a terraced house!! Crazy!!!

Erm, musicians do have to live somewhere! Unfortunately most of us can’t afford detached houses…

We’re on good terms with the neighbours on both sides and I’m pretty sure uncaring wouldn’t be a word they’d use to describe me. Believe it or not I do try to keep the noise pollution to a minimum.

Is your point that people in terraced houses (or flats) shouldn’t be allowed to play musical instruments? I’d disagree with that opinion pretty strongly.

Soldato
Erm, musicians do have to live somewhere! Unfortunately most of us can’t afford detached houses…

We’re on good terms with the neighbours on both sides and I’m pretty sure uncaring wouldn’t be a word they’d use to describe me. Believe it or not I do try to keep the noise pollution to a minimum.

Is your point that people in terraced houses (or flats) shouldn’t be allowed to play musical instruments? I’d disagree with that opinion pretty strongly.

You should find a shed in a field miles from any human life if you are all blasting your trumpets! Lol

Couple of houses back our next door but one neighbours had a kid who decided they wanted to play the drums, about an hour ever evening we had an hour of bang bang bang tish bang bang bang tish

Luckily I think about 4 weeks after he started he gave up.

I find one of the problems with noise is that the more used to quiet you are then the more you will pick up on noises. Its when what ever the noise is starts to repeat that its starts to trigger a reaction.

Back
Top Bottom