Unlucky Lottery jackpot win

Soldato
So the moral of the story is. If you steal bank card details, buy a lottery scratch card and win the jackpot. Go back to the owner of the stolen credit card and cut a deal... :D

Man of Honour
Would doing it with cash that you found count as fraud though (genuine question)?

If you found it, is it technically stolen (i guess it would be if you made no attempt to find the owner maybe).

It is. The usual phrase is "theft by finding". The key point is that if a person mislays something they own, they still own it. It only ceases to be theirs if they renounce their ownership of it. Since they still own it, it's theft for you to take it. The devil is in the details, of course, with the general rule of thumb being whether or not you made a reasonable effort to return it to the owner.

Associate
I think it opens up some interesting hypotheticals.

If you found someone’s bank card on the floor, went in to a shop with it and bought scratchcards it would clearly be a similar case to this and would result in any prize not being paid out.

What about if you found a fiver on the floor and did the same thing? Much less likely to be discovered unless you mouth off about how you found a fiver, spent it on scratchcards and won the jackpot but is no different in principle.

Taking things further, how about if you found a fiver, put it in your wallet with some other cash, then later that day bought scratchcards with no way of knowing whether you used the fiver you found or one you already had?

Moral of the story. If you find cash, say nothing ;)

People still use cash ? I've not taken any out of the machine since 2019.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Never really had any need to think about it before but it had never occurred to me you could buy stuff in store by just telling them the card number and expiry date. (I'm assuming 'card number' is including the code on the back too)
Oddly, I did this once when I bought a pizza at Dominos (circa 2002).

I was on the way back from band practice and called in without my card. Placed the order and waited but realised I didn't have my card to pay... as I knew the number off the top of my head I asked if I could give it to them verbally, which they accepted. Not sure if it'd work today and it was a bit odd, but I suppose it's the same as calling up and giving the card details over the phone :confused:

Back
Top Bottom