Police. Can I kick them out my owned home?

Weird question, but had a situation a few months back and curious of the answer to this.

A brief explanation.

I'm the landlord. I rent out rooms in my home.

5am loud knocking. Police announce at door. Partner panics thinks someone's hurt, rushes to answer door. They ask for tenant. She says yes he's here come in. They then arrest him.

All fine, however one thing the annoyed me was that they were OK down stairs, but at one point came up and made full day time volume noise with no care we were trying to sleep.

Now I understand you can refuse entry to police if they have no reason to come in and no warrant, but what if they are allowed into the entrance, assuming its because maybe someone is hurt, then they say they are here to arrest and cause a problem that I wanted them out?

Can I force them to leave?

I wouldn't have, but curious to know what I could have done in that situation.

Associate
Weird question, but had a situation a few months back and curious of the answer to this.

A brief explanation.

I'm the landlord. I rent out rooms in my home.

5am loud knocking. Police announce at door. Partner panics thinks someone's hurt, rushes to answer door. They ask for tenant. She says yes he's here come in. They then arrest him.

All fine, however one thing the annoyed me was that they were OK down stairs, but at one point came up and made full day time volume noise with no care we were trying to sleep.

Now I understand you can refuse entry to police if they have no reason to come in and no warrant, but what if they are allowed into the entrance, assuming its because maybe someone is hurt, then they say they are here to arrest and cause a problem that I wanted them out?

Can I force them to leave?

I wouldn't have, but curious to know what I could have done in that situation.

Can you force the police to leave your house when they are there to arrest someone?

No.

Soldato
If they aren't wearing proper police helmets then they are not actually in uniform and not only can you refuse them entry, but they have to leave your property and cannot return for 24 hours (even longer if that period ends on a Sunday). If they give you any grief about this point out that you are a freeman on the land and you know your rights and also that you pay their wages. Guaranteed they will be like putty in your hands after this.

Back
Top Bottom