This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Better if you can go 50/50.

I enjoy working in the office but I can easily go to the gym during my lunch when working from home. When I finish work, I power off my laptop and straight to do something else, instead of dealing with the commute trying to get home in rush hour.

One of the highlights from Covid as remote working is written into my new contract.
I do miss my audio books from the train commute though.

Soldato
I would hate to be back in the office full time again. It just suits my logistics way better. I am alone at home every other week, but I am just making sure that I arrange things with mates, which is much more fun than interacting with work people anyway haha

Same here, in the office 100% is a no go. Also pointless for me as I will be working in Azure as I move towards Cloud technologies for my career.

Soldato
I like mountains....and midges unfortunately come with the territory. Fortunately I'm quite fond of being in the mountains in winter :D

For me, 100% remote is the way....50:50 you're still stuck having to commute. 100% remote and you can live anywhere....
100% remote where the only commuting is onto client site and is 100%(or thereabouts) reimbursable :cool:

Soldato
Well, accepted an offer for the fully remote work. 5 figure payrise, no commute. #winning.

Shame I can't get stuck in for a while...3 month notice periods suck.

Soldato
You’re missing the big issue if whole industries migrate to the 100% remote working ideal.

It will end up with a race to the bottom for salaries as people living in cheaper areas (or countries) will be much more competitive for the same quality of work.
Yeah, but na. Companies have been outsourcing for decades. Moving my sack of a physical body to colocate with someone elses gross sack of body isn't a reason to pay my enormous day rate.

And like I said, if we do need to colocate, it may as well be meaningful and outcome focused versus a bunch of boomers bringing cake in on their birthday and Karen's whinging in the break room.

Soldato
Sure, we’ll see in a few years if there is mass uptake of remote working ;)
Where have you been the last two years? Almost every firm is doing remote working. Some are even dropping hours/days as productivity has surged. The only people upset are the investment banks who own property, and those who read newspaper headlines (whom have been nudged by the same investment banks to publish such outrage) :p

Man of Honour
I've long said (here's a thead from 15 years ago: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...d-by-the-global-market.17662960/#post-8342063 ) that there should be a move towards more of an equilibrium whereby UK wages should be pushed down and third world wages pushed up. The issue however is it that physical location in itself often isn't the only difference between locations, you also have other barriers like language, culture, legal etc that can distort the market slightly.

Associate
people living in cheaper areas (or countries) will be much more competitive for the same quality of work.

If you have ever tried to outsource anything other than basic tasks you will know it never works out like that. It's more a question of if the cost savings are worth the drop off in quality

I've previously worked on a few projects to bring work back onshore and drive efficiency savings through automation and processes improvement. The more work that gets digitized the easier it is to automate and streamline work flows

Soldato
If you have ever tried to outsource anything other than basic tasks you will know it never works out like that. It's more a question of if the cost savings are worth the drop off in quality

I've previously worked on a few projects to bring work back onshore and drive efficiency savings through automation and processes improvement. The more work that gets digitized the easier it is to automate and streamline work flows

The economic advantages of outsourcing tech work to India and China were almost zero already when I was still in finance 8+ years ago. As wages have improved it just doesn't make sense outsource any more.

Any employers not offering remote work are going to lose out on access to a big chunk of skilled workers, particularly in tech. I've just turned down decent offers because they wouldn't offer remote. With the state of the skills shortage in post-Brexit Britain, I can pretty much walk into any job I please right now, and I'm going to the places offering flexible/remote work.

Back
Top Bottom