Police. Can I kick them out my owned home?

Caporegime
yea but the guy I qouted wasn;t being case specific.

surely they can't say "we believe a wanted criminal is in your house, so we don't need a warrant"

They didn't need a warrant "hi Mrs op, we're here because we need to speakto/arrest MR lodger"

"Oh hes upstairs I'll call him, MR lodger come down the police are here"

Mr lodger comes down Ms op goes back to bedroom.

Mr lodger say oh yes ill come I'm in my boxers I was in bed can I put clothes on

"Sure we'll come up with you"

OK says lodger

Conversation continues at "day time levels"

Police and lodger leave.

Op heads to ocuk

NVP

NVP

Soldato
In my experience you can often say what you want to the police as long as you explain the reasoning and they will not disobey unless they explain why they cannot do what you ask. But generally talking to them about a request will usually end up in compliance as long as it is not ridiculous.

In terms of kicking them out whilst they're serving an arrest warrant, I doubt they would comply - but they certainly would try if you simply asked them to keep the noise down, or if you requested only one officer to remain in the property whilst serving (unless they feel multiple are necessary).

Permabanned
Serious question, but is it a normal thing for a mortgage company to stipulate that you cannot rent out a room in the house that you’re buying?
I’ve never rented out a room and I never would, but I was unaware that mortgage companies frown on it.

It's called "Rent a room mortgage". :) If you don't have this and they find out they can actually repossess the house and void your mortgage.

Caporegime
Serious question, but is it a normal thing for a mortgage company to stipulate that you cannot rent out a room in the house that you’re buying?
I’ve never rented out a room and I never would, but I was unaware that mortgage companies frown on it.

Not really, as long as you meet all the requirements for meeting your mortgage if you later decide to take on a lodger woth no circumstance change its a rubber stamp.

It only counts/becomes important if you need the rent to pay the mortgage.

Caporegime
I'm the landlord. I rent out rooms in my home.

5am loud knocking. Police announce at door. Partner panics thinks someone's hurt, rushes to answer door. They ask for tenant. She says yes he's here come in. They then arrest him.

All fine,

giphy.gif

Soldato
They finally caught up with OP for his Trump/Biden obsessions! ;)

Seriously though, I think once you've let them step in to your house they are allowed to do what they want.

From what you said it sounds like your tenant doesn't have a seperate apartment of their own., so they will have your address. Once they are in they are in.

Whoever answered the door should have asked them if they have a warrant. Better still, shout out of a window and not open the door at all until you've established if they have a warrant or not.

If they do have a warrant then I think legally you have to let them in.

It sounds like they were searching for something.

Back
Top Bottom