• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Founders Edition Coil-whine - RMA experiances

Soldato
It's still not a reason for warranty claim, you will most likely get a money back lol

I got it replaced replacement also has it but can't hear it once the fans kick in and I'm fine with that when I can hear it over the fans not so much reason I got it replaced , you get different levels of coil whine so not as easy as that

Soldato
Current card never whines. Worst I had for it was a 970GTX, although it was tolerable. I always try to buy decent quality Gold power supplies, not sure if that makes a difference in reality or not.

If you have low quality power PSU yes , but I tried 2 high quality PSUs one gold and platinum didn't make any difference

Soldato
I at first thought my GPU's (Vega 56 then 3080FE) had coil whine but its exactly the same whine, I assume its actually coming from the PSU in my case.

Associate
had both a 3080 FE and a 3090 FE on my system earlier this year, both had significant coil whine, changed to a 3090 suprim and nearly zero coil whine since then, i wouldnt expect any miracles for people already rocking good PSUs.

Soldato
I have access to two FE cards, both whine is two completely different systems. One is watercooled on a Seasonic Focus Gold 850W and the other is aircooled on a Superflower Leadex Gold 650W. The aircooled one buzzes less and is obfuscated by the cooler noise, the watercooled one buzzes like a swarm of bees.

I 'solved' it by changing case to one with a thick glass window and moving the case a little further away.

Associate
Personally i wouldnt RMA it, specially considering the market, just undervolt it, limit the frame rate to your monitor maximum on top of it, last thing you want is ending up being unlucky and being refunded considering the market.

Associate
Had my 3090fe for 2 months.
Initially the coil whine/ buzz was pretty obnoxious to the point I started an RMA because of it.

decided not to proceed with the RMA and over the 2 months it has definitely got quieter.

Limiting FPS and undervolting definitely helps.

Soldato
Soldato
What sort of games do you play and what frame rates are you pulling. I've noticed that the higher the frame rate the louder the coilwhine.

Try limiting the card to run at yours monitor refresh rate

Associate
OP
So I got my replacement card back from nvidia today.

Bad news first... the replacement card does have coil-whine. It appears to be better than the card I sent in however. And thats at stock. Ill apply my UV again and see how it is then. Maybe this one's whine will improve? My old one never did, but some peoples has so fingers crossed.

The VRAM temps on the replacement are much much better! Topped out at 92 so far. Mine use to hit 104! After replacing just the rear pads, I dropped that to 94. (Which was enough to prevent the fans going crazy!)

So it seems nvidia have improved the stock pads used! :)

A few comments on the RMA process, for those that are interested:

I contacted nvidia via chat, they asked for a video of the whine. Then within a couple of hours I had a RMA number and shipping label from them.
Booked the card for collection via FedEx.
It was picked up on the 21st, and arrived in Hong Kong on the 24th
Had confirmation of shipment of replacement on the 29th, with FedEx tracking. It showed due for delivery on the 5th Jan.
Arrived this morning on the 4th. So day early :)
It was a retail boxed card. I was expecting a refurb or something in a brown box. But nope, new in box card. :D

As mentioned, I had changed the thermal pads on the back of my card. With all the fear mongering about this voiding the warranty, I was slightly concerned if this would be detected or come up.
Thankfully it didn't :) Not sure if as I kinda expected they don't bother to open the cards up before issuing replacement, or if they did they just didn't care.

So on the RMA process itself, Id give nvidia a 10 out of 10. Very easy, very quick. No issues with changing address/name to return the card to.

Sadly, as said... the replacement does have coil-whine. It does however appear to be less. As a bonus, the VRAM temps seem better so far.

Soldato
Good news.

Shame it has to go around the world.

Pads degrade quickly initially then bed in. See what it's like in a month's time. That's my experience anyway.

My 3080fe was 92 odd in most games 100+ in quake rtx and mining. Even with an undervolt.

Now I barely brake 50c on memory after water cooling.

Associate
OP
Applying my undervolt from before of 1815@850mv has reduced the coil-whine further. I can still hear it, probably because I am listening out for it.

Its very faint in GTA V and CP2077, but more apparent in FC6. Which is odd... as CP2077 is using RTX, DLSS etc.

Still, its an improvement.

I do now have an odd head-scratcher which is fan-stop on idle seems not to be working... I cant figure out why!
I have MSI Afterburner, MSI Center, iCUE and HWInfo running. I figure one of those is doing it....
Managed to get fans to stop by closing all of them. Trying to narrow down which one... thought I had it with MSI center... but on reboot without it installed... still fans wont stop :/
Then I figured it was iCUE... removed that... reboot... again fans wont stop.

Im like a dog with a bone when I find an issue like this... so although its minor, I want to 'fix' it!

Associate
OP
So I got my replacement card back from nvidia today.

Bad news first... the replacement card does have coil-whine. It appears to be better than the card I sent in however. And thats at stock. Ill apply my UV again and see how it is then. Maybe this one's whine will improve? My old one never did, but some peoples has so fingers crossed.

The VRAM temps on the replacement are much much better! Topped out at 92 so far. Mine use to hit 104! After replacing just the rear pads, I dropped that to 94. (Which was enough to prevent the fans going crazy!)

So it seems nvidia have improved the stock pads used! :)

A few comments on the RMA process, for those that are interested:

I contacted nvidia via chat, they asked for a video of the whine. Then within a couple of hours I had a RMA number and shipping label from them.
Booked the card for collection via FedEx.
It was picked up on the 21st, and arrived in Hong Kong on the 24th
Had confirmation of shipment of replacement on the 29th, with FedEx tracking. It showed due for delivery on the 5th Jan.
Arrived this morning on the 4th. So day early :)
It was a retail boxed card. I was expecting a refurb or something in a brown box. But nope, new in box card. :D

As mentioned, I had changed the thermal pads on the back of my card. With all the fear mongering about this voiding the warranty, I was slightly concerned if this would be detected or come up.
Thankfully it didn't :) Not sure if as I kinda expected they don't bother to open the cards up before issuing replacement, or if they did they just didn't care.

So on the RMA process itself, Id give nvidia a 10 out of 10. Very easy, very quick. No issues with changing address/name to return the card to.

Sadly, as said... the replacement does have coil-whine. It does however appear to be less. As a bonus, the VRAM temps seem better so far.

@xPETEZx Did you ever figure it out, I don't like being left hanging :D

See above :)

TL:DR ... the RMA process was very smooth and easy.
The new card coil-whines ever so slightly less than the old sadly... It does have better VRAM temps though, so just going to keep it and under-volt. Which improves it slight more... still the loudest part of my otherwise silent PC.

Associate
@xPETEZx I was referring to the post just above my reply

I do now have an odd head-scratcher which is fan-stop on idle seems not to be working... I cant figure out why!
I have MSI Afterburner, MSI Center, iCUE and HWInfo running. I figure one of those is doing it....
Managed to get fans to stop by closing all of them. Trying to narrow down which one... thought I had it with MSI center... but on reboot without it installed... still fans wont stop :/
Then I figured it was iCUE... removed that... reboot... again fans wont stop.

Im like a dog with a bone when I find an issue like this... so although its minor, I want to 'fix' it!

Back
Top Bottom