Waxed / circular cheeses - why only at Christmas time?

For the last few years, the Stafford Aldi has sold these cheeses. The wax can be yellow, orange, red or brown as well as black like you see in this photo. To cut them, I slice off the 2 flat sides first which leaves the wax ring. Then I can put the knife inside the ring and push upwards/outwards to cut the ring and then it just drops off. Not sure if that's the correct way but that's what I have figured out myself!

AgJ0AqK.jpg

So how come they're only sold at Christmas time? While not that cheap at £2 per 200g block, they are some of the best English cheeses I've tasted. I tried looking on Google/Wiki but I think my terms are too vague. I was interested in any history on this and why it's considered festive. Do other shops sell them too?

Caporegime
probably the wax tax.

if it's got a rind it's gotta be expensive right even if it's fake wax

seems proper cheese is soaked in a salt water to get the rind

Soldato
seems proper cheese is soaked in a salt water to get the rind

You brine cheese to give flavour, help protect from unwanted mould as salt preserves, it stops the bacteria conversion process else the cheese would make the cheese more acidic in flavour and to help production of the rind by drawing out the moisture from the surface of the cheese. Some cheeses are waxed as its a convenient method for storage, its nothing to do with being proper cheese or not, cheeses like Edam or Gouda are traditionally waxed

Cheese like Epoisses is washed in salt and Brandy. Cheeses like Brie or Camembert are still brined but its the white mould that creates the rind

Soldato
Plenty of creameries sell waxed cheese all year round these days. The wax will no doubt be part of the preservation process to slow further dehydration of the cheese particularly in refrigerated environments which can be very dry.

Caporegime
The thing is the wax can simply be replaced by plastic in these cheeses, which is cheaper and easier.

Soldato
yes they're no very PC with COP/climate situation - the waxes are just a pain , staining the knife, and, probably end up eating bigger chunks because of its resistance.
is the covering included in the weight too.
e:save the covering and tell us what it weighed

gouda and edam, not sure if their covering is more ecological - definitely thinner - better eco credentials ?

Soldato
Waxing is simply a cheap and easy way to stop cheeses going mouldy during the maturation process.

The best cheeses aren’t waxed. They are left to go mouldy on the outside which draws moisture out and produces a dryer, crumbliest texture and more flavour.

Waxing a cheese keeps moisture in and thus ‘adds weight’ but it won’t mature in the same way as a ‘traditional’ cheese, it will be softer, creamier and blander although longer maturation time can help with the latter.

Most crap hard cheeses (namely every cheddar you can buy in a supermarket) are vac packed during maturation which gives the awful sterile flavour!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Most crap hard cheeses (namely every cheddar you can buy in a supermarket) are vac packed during maturation which gives the awful sterile flavour!!
probably how the store brand "Parmigiano Reggiano" that say they are from "italy" but have no flavour or seem creamy are made I bet...

the real ones taste way better... almost a total different texture as well.

I had some Parmigiano Reggiano from tesco or somewhere own brand and it legit tasted like plastic cheese

Soldato
probably how the store brand "Parmigiano Reggiano" that say they are from "italy" but have no flavour or seem creamy are made I bet...

the real ones taste way better... almost a total different texture as well.

I had some Parmigiano Reggiano from tesco or somewhere own brand and it legit tasted like plastic cheese

Because those supermarket cheeses are generally too young, Parmesan with a little age is totally different to the fresh stuff.

Soldato
Waxing is simply a cheap and easy way to stop cheeses going mouldy during the maturation process.

The best cheeses aren’t waxed. They are left to go mouldy on the outside which draws moisture out and produces a dryer, crumbliest texture and more flavour.

Waxing a cheese keeps moisture in and thus ‘adds weight’ but it won’t mature in the same way as a ‘traditional’ cheese, it will be softer, creamier and blander although longer maturation time can help with the latter.

I think there will also be a case of slowing or suspending the maturation process too. Once you have a mature cheese and you want to keep it at that point in time waxing wuold do this. Not all cheese even artisan can be sold at Neale's Yard in it's peak window. Small producers selling through delicatessens need to give their sellers a longer window when the cheese is at it's peak.

Soldato
I think there will also be a case of slowing or suspending the maturation process too. Once you have a mature cheese and you want to keep it at that point in time waxing wuold do this. Not all cheese even artisan can be sold at Neale's Yard in it's peak window. Small producers selling through delicatessens need to give their sellers a longer window when the cheese is at it's peak.
It’s temperature that largely affects the maturation process and humidity. You wouldn’t wax a cheese at it’s prime because it will have gone mouldy and it won’t look pretty.

Cheese will still happily mature in wax but due to lack of moisture loss will never be truly great IMO although there are some nice waxed cheeses.

Here’s two cheeses I made (both the same cheese first one waxed and second one was actually bandaged and left to go mouldy. You can see the texture/quality difference. All that said next year I’m sticking to waxing because it’s so much ‘tidier’ no ongoing mould dusting or cheesemites.

waxed (clear wax)

Bandaged (natural)

2cCXHRc

Back
Top Bottom