** Diablo 4 Thread **

Associate
New quarterly update for October 2021.

Introduction
The Sound Design of Diablo IV

Some really cool stuff in this update on how they are recording the sound and a bunch of YouTube videos on how they make them. Definitely worth a look if you're interested in the audio.

oh audio is a key to immersion, visually looks good as contrast and clarity what happens helps.
cost a lot to make these games.

Soldato
Diablo IV (and OW2) delayed from an unannounced 2022 release date.

Source

I don't think anybody was expecting it to be out next year, at least until 2023/24.

"These are two of the most eagerly anticipated titles in the industry, and our teams have made great strides toward completion in recent quarters," Activision Blizzard said. "But we believe giving the teams some extra time to complete production and continue growing their creative resources to support the titles after launch will ensure that these releases delight and engage their communities for many years in the future."

Soldato
@Throrik well as most of good blizzard left for other studios & Activision have started taking over,
dare I say it activation have done a better job than blizzard in recent times with their releases

You compared
WoW shadowlands - many issues being reported weekly

Then you look at activision BOB releases (who are now working on blizzard titles)
Crazy bandicoot 3 & 4 - both released with out major fuss (just online DRM)
Crazy Bandicoot Racing - again a few minor issues but all fixed
Spyro Trilogy - All decent few minor issues but all fixed

Activision may actually get Blizzard on track & on time, will just have to see about quality. as long as they keep COD developers away from blizzard i'm happy. they can stick on their 3 rate Qauke 2 engine that's been forked & forked again & even The Developers cannot fix the brokenness of their forks, so if they finally move engine they are screwed.

Associate
It's that time of the year for the report <3 people care about

Diablo IV Quarterly Report

It's probably the best one yet, the VFX section is awesome. The rest... well, it's as many feared.

Try make a game and you find not all going to like it or enjoy it or play it.
Key point is always gameplay and arpg drops.
How they scale difficulty seems fine and as far its a bit tactical in the showcase they made.
everything does not die widescreen as with d3 and poe. (may change as usual with fully end game gear etc..)

Soldato
Try make a game and you find not all going to like it or enjoy it or play it.
Key point is always gameplay and arpg drops.
How they scale difficulty seems fine and as far its a bit tactical in the showcase they made.
everything does not die widescreen as with d3 and poe. (may change as usual with fully end game gear etc..)

The big problem is big numbers and poor itemisation. The vocal majority have been saying this and it’s being ignored. You know something is fundamentally wrong when everybody is in agreement over something.

you’ll get better engagement with the Diablo subreddit where occasionally you’ll get something from Blizzard but then this report shows that feedback keeps getting ignored.

Soldato
OP
I liked this quarter's update - the paragon board sounds pretty cool. It's definitely got some similarities to the skill system from Path of Exile, but enough differences to make it stand apart and still look fun to use. Really loving the skill VFX changes as you upgrade or change the skill. I wonder if you can dodge attacks due to the combat improvements and whether it applies to monsters animations also - with Diablo 3, once the animation fired from a monster you were hit regardless of whether you moved out of the way or not, but with the new system it looks like you could dodge it if you're moving.

Soldato
The only thing that really matters if will the paragon board be finite, or will it be infinite. If it's infinite then its just an endless grind.

Having a hard limit as a goal is good for the game, just like PoE has with its level 100. Not impossible to get, but its not easy either.

Soldato
The only thing that really matters if will the paragon board be finite, or will it be infinite. If it's infinite then its just an endless grind.

Having a hard limit as a goal is good for the game, just like PoE has with its level 100. Not impossible to get, but its not easy either.

Yep that was a huge consensus on Reddit too.

A lot of people calling this Diablo 3.5 with paragon and the crazy damage numbers.

It’s a shame because the paragon board seems cool but the skills need to be more than x% extra damage to x skill while above x rage. It’s absolutely fine to have points like this but when there’s a legendary point on each subsequent board you really want it to be meaningful in a way that it can change gameplay.

I really like the vfx stuff, seriously cool stuff and it’s a shame much of the criticism has taken away from how cool that stuff is.

I think we know Blizzard will deliver a game on graphics, controls, gameplay and mechanics but the itemisation, questions about the paragon limits, damage numbers and end game will continue.

Associate
poe2 and d4 will look the same.
art design going same direction.
I like that gold drops as gold and not as a text icon.

2 years away then

Back
Top Bottom