HP Proliant Gen 8 - Red flashing light

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi, can anyone help I have a gen 8 G1610T which is used as a VMware server for apps and storage. It currently had a flashing red light in area shown.

any ideas what this means ?

72uzlq1lsdd41.jpg

Associate
Disk failure, in general. I had that a few months back (use mine as a FreeNas box) -- one disk had packed up... replaced it, and the OTHER disk in that array packed up after I finished resilvering the array! So I had to install yet another one to get it all back up again. Pfew.

These gen8 are otherwise solid as hell. Had mine quite a few years now, no problems.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Looks like the drives or a drive has gone but no raid was configured :( are there any recovery options to get the data back

Storage.jpg

Man of Honour
Big RAID 0 arrays should only be used if you have a cast-iron backup plan in place because you can guarantee that they WILL fail eventually.

That being said, if there are non-RAID drives in there then one may have simply encountered a bad sector and fallen out of the drive pool. There may be a way to get the controller to accept the drive again, at least temporarily. The next best option would be to try pulling each drive and cloning it onto a brand new replacement, but I have no idea if the controller will accept the cloned drive in this case (different serial number, for starters). There are various data recovery tools you could try, but again you need to clone the data onto new drives first.

If in doubt, especially if its mission-critical data, call in the professionals. If not, you just learned a very valuable lesson - have a backup plan.

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
managed to recover the logical drive by pressing F2 to rebuild logical disk :). What is the fastest way to backup the data on the 3 disks. Should i use Veeam or just do a Windows backup of the data i need from the Shared Folders ?

My Plan is to sell the complete Micro server Gen 8 unit with the 3 x 3 WD Red drives as soon as i have finished a full backup as i am no longer doing any VMware stuff and need to clear my excess IT equipment

drive.jpg

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
The less stress you can put on a potentially failing drive, the better, so concentrate on the most important data first.

I don't know if any of 3 drives is under stress as there is no errors shown in the ILO under system or Logical disk. Was it a blip ?

Associate
The less stress you can put on a potentially failing drive, the better, so concentrate on the most important data first.
+1
That should almost be a sticky in any forum where people might ask about file recovery. Well right underneath: If the data is valuable, think about a professional data recovery place (and be prepared to spend £100s if not £1000s) before even turning it back on.

Back
Top Bottom