Poll: MoT basics fine.

Should motorists face points and / or fine for turning up for an MOT with obvious faults?

• Yes

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 140 78.2%
  • Bread

Votes: 25 14.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Working some distance from home, my wife has to fill her CR-V up every week and each time it costs her more than I spend fuelling my Octavia in a whole month!

My fuel bill lately is getting appalling :( I really need to stop using it for trips where I'm not using the vehicle for what it is designed for - but I like driving it.

Soldato
I only work on & MOT cars - the price of a test is £54.85. The average cost of labour is around £70 p/hour. It's cheaper to have a test and repair after, rather than having it checked before test.

I've been told lorries do it differently though; They get penalised if they fail, so they get maintained to a higher level, and checked/repaired before the test.

Without offending anyone on here - the general public no nothing about their own car. They don't even know how or can't be bothered to check their tyre pressures anymore.

We had a car presented for test this week, the TPMS light was on, it was even saying which tyre was at fault. We found a nail had gone through the tread and out the sidewall! Light had only been on a week so they said - so probably 2-3 weeks! Imagine that going wrong at 80mph!

Man of Honour
Without offending anyone on here - the general public no nothing about their own car. They don't even know how or can't be bothered to check their tyre pressures anymore.

Doesn't mean it should be that way though - which some seem to be arguing here.

Soldato
I had no idea I had a broken spring (lower part so not even a full circle) and didn't even notice when I changed the wheels over a few weeks back!

I agree that people should check the basics, it easy.

Associate
Sounds like a fantastic idea, there's plenty of dodgy garages around that will fail for work, or fail to stay within the national average (So i've been told by a particular MOT tester I wouldn't use again).

Then again, it opens a new business opportunity doesn't it, a 'pre MOT' that would avoid the issue of points / fine and discover those issues prematurely (hours before an actual MOT, thus making the vehicle no safer for the other 11months). Easy 1 hours labour charge.

In case it wasn't obvious I disagree with the idea, and think it's a rather daft idea. Though I do agree that there are countless unroadworthy vehicles on the road, that aren't being fixed. Especially this time of year, lights being obviously, and blindingly out of alignment being one.

Back
Top Bottom