*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Imo there's not really much point buying 2.5GbE equipment when 10GbE isn't that much more and will provide you with 4x the throughput.
If you're going to do it, you may as well do it once, and do it right

Makes sense I guess, even if 10GbE is ott for me.

I'll do some more reading, as I'm sort of limited on space was hoping for something similar size of the US-8-60W for a straight swap about.

Soldato
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I've been after a U6-Pro for a while as an upgrade for my old AC-Pro but keep missing the stock. I had one added to my basket a couple weeks ago but got side tracked in work and when I came back they were out of stock again. I didn't realise that about POE+ but luckily my US-16-150W supports it. The only thing I do wish it had is a couple SPF+ ports.

Associate
I’ve got my dream machine pro coming tomorrow, and have 1x U6 Pro already and one extra one coming next week.

Any recommendations on a small POE switch I can get I need 8 ports only 1 POE for the Access Point.

i have looked at the Ubiquiti Switch Lite 8 PoE but the lack of UK plug for the charger is annoying.

Soldato
I’ve got my dream machine pro coming tomorrow, and have 1x U6 Pro already and one extra one coming next week.

Any recommendations on a small POE switch I can get I need 8 ports only 1 POE for the Access Point.

i have looked at the Ubiquiti Switch Lite 8 PoE but the lack of UK plug for the charger is annoying.

It'll just be the kettle lead you need.

Soldato
Or just an EU to U.K. adaptor for £2? Why create the extra e-waste (and cost) of replacing the whole PSU?

That's what I've done with both of mine but the two-pin Euro plugs are the most atrocious design ever and are very insecure and wobbly and using them with an adapter just makes a very top-heavy, wobbly mess.

I ended up wrapping a load of electrical tape around the whole contraption to add some stability and security but pretty it ain't.

Ubiquiti obviously trying to save a few pennies by designing them as all-in-one units like this when they could have just made it an in-line adapter with a regular C5 power input, like on their PoE injectors, then it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Soldato
You want the ones that are recessed so it grabs the sides of the plug, the flush ones are horrible, completely agree there.

I used recessed ones but they're designed for the full-size, earthed, circular European plugs so the two-pin ones still wobble.

A recessed two-pin adapter in which it would fit snugly would be ideal, if such a thing even exists.

EDIT: Ooh, found some!

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what we do. Supermicro AS-5019D-FTN4 is my current go-to. Add in a 10GbE card and you're off.

Been looking at Supermicro myself, but ideally looking at the 1151 socket options to replace a Pondesk unit. Upgrade to VM100 in January, I know the Pondesk unit will be fine. I also have a R220 PowerEdge with a 25W TDP Xeon, planning on getting a trial idrac license installed on that later so I can see some power stats. My PowerEdge T340 is using about 70w at the moment, that's running TrueNas. Wiring plans for 2021 and hopefully will loose a unifi switch or two. There is a bit of kit sprawl at the moment with mesh wifi connections and powerline.

Back
Top Bottom