• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere vs AMD RDNA2, Who Won The GPU Generation (So Far)?

Soldato

My personal opinion is both companies have done well this generation regarding performance and features (Nvidia slightly ahead with RTX and DLSS features and performance).

This generation for me the 3090 was the card to buy for what I use my computer for, which is work 99% of the time (CUDA based workloads, so RDNA would not be an option for my work) and some gaming and the 3090 was so good I purchased a second one for my work rig and linked them with the SLI/NVLINK bridge to be able to double my performance and VRAM in work related tasks and in some games too that support mGPU.

Pricing this generation sadly has not stuck to the MSRP (unless you buy the Unicorn FE cards from Nvidia), but the performance increase for my work was worth it and was happy to get a card with 24GB VRAM at less than their Titan cards and I have zero use for Titan or Quadro (A-Series now for Quadro range) drivers for my work.

Caporegime
giphy.gif

Associate
Both brought out great cards. If only folk could buy one at mrsp. Luckily bagged a fe 3080, which was still more than I was comfortable paying, but it should last me a while.

I don't think Amd can be thought of as the bang for bucks choice anymore either. Their pricing model is following nvidia.

Soldato
Nvidia for me just because I was able to get 3080fe at MSRP with Nvidia drop if they didn't I would have just stuck with the 5700xt no chance I would pay the AIB prices and AMD don't do UK drops

Also do think Nvidia provide the overall better package

Soldato
I went ampere but considering how few games have actually interested me in the last year I couldn't really give a crap what card was better.

Hades and Disco Elysium captivated me most and they would have been fine on my 1080.

Soldato
It'd be nice to have input from people who have *owned* both, though. And if they've switched from one to the other, why? And would they do it again?

I have both and they are similarly powerful. (3080 vs 6800XT)

I run Nvidia (3080Ti now) in VR and AMD (6800XT)for "pancake" gaming on my PLP triple setup.

Back
Top Bottom