Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Capodecina
Soldato
Tea and biscuits for me as living on my own...

Six of one, half a dozen of the other for me.

I am on my own AGAIN this year due to the other half being abroad and my having COVID.

I am not going all out. Cannot be bothered. I tried going all out twice before on Xmas Day when on my own but for some reason it does not work.

Less is more. So I had an awesome steak delivered today, and I will make some mash to have with that and some Brussels sprouts. Maybe some onion gravy but maybe not [may just go with Colman's]. I also bought a nice cabernet/shiraz to have before/during the meal [of course I will drink the whole bottle :)].

All sounds good to me. I'll be streaming on Xmas Day so it'll be a late one, but that food is not hard to make.

Soldato
All sounds good to me. I'll be streaming on Xmas Day so it'll be a late one, but that food is not hard to make.

Streaming? What kind of content?

I'm not sure what i'd do if i was on my own. Probably just order a pizza or something with piles of booze! I guess the issue with a full roast is that you end up with massive amounts of food because there's so many individual elements and it doesn't feel worth doing single person portions of each thing.

Soldato
Starter - bruschettas with different toppings (mozzarella and tomato, pates, cheeses and chutneys), and some smoked salmon blinis.
Main - 3 bone carvery rib roast, porchetta roast, roast spuds, pigs and blankets, honey carrots and parsnips, mash, cranberry and pork stuffing, sprouts and bacon and broccoli
Dessert - whatever my sister brings

Caporegime
I'm alone and Aunt Betsy will be cooking my Christmas dinner :D with no meat lol
I'll enjoy it regardless though I love yorkshire puddings so much

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Got an absolute mountain of Turkey, beef and gammon left. Many many sandwiches for dinner tomorrow.

It's one of the best bits of the Christmas period for me. Leftovers made into sandwiches, curries, tagines, whatever.

My traditional Boxing Day afternoon or evening meal is a couple of slices of bread, splat some leftover chestnut stuffing on that, slices of leftover turkey on top of that, reheated leftover gravy on top of that. Sprinkle some black pepper over it and munch. Ma's side of the family if they were having similar would, of course, spread a layer of bread sauce between bread and stuffing because they're animals who like wallpaper paste :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Kilo of brisket from a local butcher, chucked in a vacuum bag with some Robertson's BBQ spice and a bottle of Sainsbury's BBQ marinade (this one), in the sous vide for 48h at 68° followed by 20 mins in the oven at 200°c. It was so juicy and tender it actually wobbled like jelly and literally falls apart.

Love my sous vide :cool:

NxUsihh.png

Soldato
OP
So what’s everyone cooking this year? I’ve got 5 meat eating adults, a meat eating kid, a vegan adult and a hungry golden retriever round the table this year.

Smoked salmon and maybe a tempura oyster with a Bloody Mary salsa if I can find some frozen oysters in shell. Can’t be bothered trying to shuck 8 oysters!

I’ve got a 2.6kg rib of beef from Farmison which I’ll slow roast for around six hours and then sear after the cook. I’ve bought this cut a few times now, and it’s brilliant.
Also going to do a slow roast bit of pork as worried there won’t be enough beef. Will just flavour with anise, sage, bay, cloves and slow roast. Crack up at the end for crackling. Will just buy whatever Tesco has when I go in closer to the day.
All the trimmings.

Whisky Parkin for pudding.

Also a vegan option, but not sure yet. She’ll send me an Instagram picture I need to make a few days before I’m sure!

Last edited:
Soldato
Smoked salmon and maybe a tempura oyster with a Bloody Mary salsa if I can find some frozen oysters in shell.

Drool.

I’ve got a 2.6kg rib of beef from Farmison which I’ll slow roast for around six hours and then sear after the cook.

Double drool.

Also a vegan option, but not sure yet. She’ll send me an Instagram picture I need to make a few days before I’m sure!

Why not ask her to make it as her contribution?

Soldato
Fairly standard one here tbf

Christmas eve will be rolled pork belly with apricot and pistachio stuffing, dauphinoise potatoes and red cabbage
Desert will be Swiss roll

Christmas Day will be: Breakfast Bagels, cream cheese, bacon. Starter of blinis with smoked salmon lemon and dill. Main of the standard turkey job!

Trying to order some wine at the moment to get here in time and obviously some fizz. It's at my house this year and really looking forward to that.

Back
Top Bottom