Fixing headphones. Worth it?

Caporegime
I have a set of denon d2000s that either need binning or fixing.

2 issues.

The head band is worn completely away now.
New issue. The sound is cutting out in one ear.

Can a set of cans easily be rewired? I believe soldering is required

Associate
I had to resolder a loose wire in my 2015 AKG K702 headphones last year. My cleaning up and resoldering appeared to work.

Because I've also had to replace the elastic and one of the ear cup connectors has a crack in it, I'm not sure I'd repair them again. I suppose it depends on how much I wanted to save those headphones.

Soldato
Totally worth it if you have the kit.

If you have to buy the kit to repair them and it costs more than to replace the cans, then not worth it. Having said that I bought the kit to repair one of the earpieces of my old UE TripleFi 10s and even though it was super fiddly was worth it and now I can attempt repairs on other items when they become faulty.

Soldato
I thought about fixing my Sony XM3. It needs new earpads and a battery, replacement parts comes up to half the price of a new XM4 so I'm just gonna get the XM4 when on sale

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Based on what I could find, a Beyer DT-770 headband can be fitted to this series of Denon cans.
https://imgur.com/a/PA4qrkP

Rewiring is usually pretty easy unless the break in the wire is somewhere in the middle of the cable. Shortening the cable and re-terminating it is the easiest way to fix an issue at either end. To determine where in the wire the break is, I listen to the headphones and slightly bend & move the cable, working my way from the jack plug up to the headphones. If you find a spot in the cable where it crackles and cuts in and out a lot, you know you've found your break.

I've had to rewire countless sets of DT-770's in work and my own AKG K601's. I usually have to replace the jack plugs. (Neutrik 1/4" jack plugs are great for this)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I definitely want to fix them.
It's the left ear and it's definitely in the headphone. If you push the connection restablishes. Or if I keep my head absolutely still.

My favourite set of headphones I've heard. They are well used!

I'll take a look at the issue this weekend

Back
Top Bottom