Best 4K movies to watch

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations on their favourite 4K movies. Got an LG OLED at the start of the month so wanting to enjoy it as much as possible.

I’ve seen some of the usual suspects like the Marvel IMAX enhanced stuff on Disney+, Blade Runner 2049, John Wick, Mad Max: Fury Road, etc.

Also interested in 4K movies to avoid. For example, I saw a list online that included Black Hawk Down but I’ve just watched it and it wasn’t great from a 4K perspective due to the film grain effects used, though it’s a great film of course.

I guess TV shows are also welcome too.

So, fire away.

Associate
I second Lord of the Rings trilogy.

An interesting one to show off the LG OLED, may be Prime's Seasons 1 of Jack Ryan (Dolby Vision, although be warned, my LG CX had a few minor consistent and repeatable issues when going from Ep 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 at the start, where the colour went all over the place. Not sure if it's an LG CX issue, DV issue, or if it's another Prime issue. A restart of the client or the TV will resolve it by going direct to the episode again from the TV app. Note, only Seasons 1 is Dolby Vision, once you go Season 2, it's back to normal HDR, and the difference is noticeable)

Associate
Came here to post Black Hawk Down ... seriously.

Did you watch on streaming or UHD Blu Ray ? Did the streamed version you watched clome with Dolby Vision ( which service did you watch it on ? )

Havent watched it on streaming and doubt theres a big enough difference ( if any ) in picture to give a different impression. But i thought it looked absolutely stunning, the contrast and blacks etc. Have owned in previously on Dvd and Blu-Ray.

The big difference in streaming 4k to Disc for me is the sound, the discs sound so much better. Black Hawk Down is no slouch in sound either. I'd most rather watch the standard Blu Ray in 1080p than the streamed 4k , as it generally sounds much better. But if you dont have the av speaker setup then its probably not noticable.

Other 4k UHD's Blu Rays that are stunning to me at least...

Annihilation
Sicario and Sicario2
The Matrix
The Revenant

Soldato
New Matrix if can get ya hands on it is very good, picture and colour wise. As for the film itself, make your own judgement. :D

Isn't movie but Witcher season 2 is very pretty.

Disk wise - 1917 and Life of Pi are always good ones.

Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps. Just watched LOTR again a couple of months ago in HD but maybe in a few months a 4K rewatch could be in order.

Jack Ryan I have seen but may check a couple of episodes.

@hudson86 - yes, BHD was on Amazon so may explain the difference in experience. It self-reports as HDR rather than Dolby Vision.

Sicario I’ve watched (one of my favourite films) but not seen the 4K version of 2. I don’t know why Apple TV seems to have more 4K content than any other service.

@Simmz - watched the Matrix in the cinema last night. Oh dear. :D

Associate
Thanks chaps. Just watched LOTR again a couple of months ago in HD but maybe in a few months a 4K rewatch could be in order.

Jack Ryan I have seen but may check a couple of episodes.

@hudson86 - yes, BHD was on Amazon so may explain the difference in experience. It self-reports as HDR rather than Dolby Vision.

Sicario I’ve watched (one of my favourite films) but not seen the 4K version of 2. I don’t know why Apple TV seems to have more 4K content than any other service.

@Simmz - watched the Matrix in the cinema last night. Oh dear. :D

Am presuming if its a grain thing that was a problem, then the different HDR's wont make much difference. Unless theres some big difference in bit rates thats really messed with it.

I do think Apples 4k seems pretty impressive, Netflix and Amazon seem a touch softer, they did drop their bit rates during the pandemic due to increased demand , dont know if thats still a thing. Its very subjective and probably difficult to really see a difference. I've got an LG C9 Oled btw.

Soldato
OP
Adding to my own thread watched The Green Knight tonight which had good visual presentation and 1.85:1 aspect ratio which is great on TV. The Last Duel was also good in 4K.

Mortal Kombat was fairly decent visually too. The film was cheesy (especially some of the dialogue) but enjoyable if you can switch your brain off to some extent.

Associate
streaming
amazon
jack ryan
Bosh
hanna
wheel of time

apple tv+
see
for all mankind
foundation

netflix
witcher
lost in space
daredevil
punisher

disney+
the mandalorian

disc
Lotr
westworld S1,S2,s3
the hunger games movies series

there are other but too tried to think of them properly.

Soldato
Got a lot of 4k ATV movies, standout ones that I can remember are

All in 4k DV
1989 Batman - this is incredible like looking through a window
Alien
Any of the Transformers movies
Aquaman
Life of Pi
The Hobbit trilogy
LOTR trilogy
Fury Road - that dust cloud storm scene.....
The Martian
Ready Player One
The Revenant

I'm sure there are more but can't remember.

Soldato
Ford vs Ferrari looked absolutely stunning on 4k disc. Few other too that don't come to mind or already included.

Drive
The shining
Jaws
The silence of the lamb
Green book
Groundhog day
Logan
Dark Knight Trilogy
Tremors
Whiplash

Note how I'm recommending good movies not just good visuals :p

Edit. 4k to definitely avoid is the Bourne trilogy. Mega grainy and just looks terrible in terms of colour and definition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom