Epic vs steam - have your thoughts changed?

Associate
No, my own views haven't changed although I wasn't that passionate about the debate.

I've personally bought games on Steam, GOG, Origin, Ubisoft Connect, Battle.net and Rockstar Social Club. And a number straight from the dev/pub; Guild Wars 1/2, The Elder Scrolls Online, Elite Dangerous etc. But for some reason never bothered buying a single game from EGS, albeit I've claimed most, if not all of the freebies (this might be as a result of being more of a console player in the last few years though).

I do however understand and respect the annoyance when the 'it's just another launcher' point is raised. I think timed exclusives, timed content or marketing partnerships are a very 'cheap' and unfriendly consumer tactics even if it's part of the industry. Furthermore Steam is arguably a platform itself and that point will get really get reinforced with Steam Deck. Over the years I've used my Steam account on Windows, Mac OS and various Linux builds, including Steam OS. In addition to using in-home streaming. And that's something that just isn't possible with the other launchers or storefronts.

Soldato
I have no real problem with it but I have no reason to get it either. Just be another origin, battlenet or uplay to me.

Steam will always be held in a different light though as that contains 10 years of PC gaming history for me, over 100 games, 900 screenshots, 1500 achievements, lots of social stuff. No other launcher is gonna replace that and that is why I'll always prefer games on steam.

Associate
I have no real problem with it but I have no reason to get it either. Just be another origin, battlenet or uplay to me.

Steam will always be held in a different light though as that contains 10 years of PC gaming history for me, over 100 games, 900 screenshots, 1500 achievements, lots of social stuff. No other launcher is gonna replace that and that is why I'll always prefer games on steam.

Only 900 screenshots?! I'm a screenshot freak, love to take them.

The reason to get Epic is to horde the free games they give away weekly :D

Good thing about these stores is the cheap keys you can buy from third party’s.

Buy the game you want from the cheapest place you can find. Just like GPU and CPU makers (and all others) these businesses are not your friends. They want your money. They do not give a **** about any of you! Hilarious when you see people go all fanboy about a multibillion business like Steam lol

Associate
they are both ****** use them but never ever leave either running unless its to play a game

Hated steam with a passion when it was released
epic is ok they give me free games which I take every chance I get even if I dont play them

same with the new amazon games I just grab the free games I might want to play one someday

all the extra community bloat on steam is worthless to me but people love and use it so heyho

Associate
Care to explain why not like them or wanting to install their launcher equal’s entitlement? End of the day each to their own and we do what we like with our money. I do not want another launcher and so refuse to install it, how is that entitled?

that was my problem with Steam we never got a choice it was install this pile of crap or you don't play conterstrike anymore

Soldato
I always buy my games around 2-3 years after release. That way my rig is able to play them in 4k ultra goodness as well as all bugs ironed out and I get some kind of gold or legendary edition with all dlc included.

I'll always use steam for this reason as most games worth playing find their way there eventually.

Caporegime
Dont care much.

If im buying a new game ill try for it on steam but if not its on whatever launcher it is. Price is always most important.

MY entire epic launcher is free games, of which i have 60 odd now. Played about 2 of them.

so. Prefer steam just cos ive had nearly 20 odd years..... and the majority of games i have are there. But meh whatever.

Man of Honour
Most of the games I have on Epic are from the weekly freebies but I have also bought a few when they do the £10 voucher. The client needs a lot of work. There is no customisation as in you can't set the landing page, it always opens at the store page. You can't classify your games and the library is a right mess. To know the games I have completed I have had to write them down in a notebook. I have no interest at all in the social side yet they won't give us the option to disable the community feed that starts everytime you run a game. Steam lets you do all of that and much more and is a much nicer experience although they have been around much longer. Epic did a questionaire a few months ago so it will be interesting to see if they take any user suggestions on board and give us more customisation.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Most my games used to be on Steam but they’re all over the place these days.

Just bought Guardians of the Galaxy, Kena Bridge of Spirits and Immortals Fenyx Rising for £45, which I thought was pretty good VFM TBH.

Soldato
Until Epic stop trying to steal exclusive games I'm not interested in using them.

I also think it cheapens the entire industry for them to be bribing people with free games all the time, after all if you're up to your eye balls in free games, why would you buy new ones?

Back
Top Bottom