• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Air cooling a Ryzen 9 5900x?

Soldato
Yes I've done it myself on an open bench with my 5900X it was absolutely fine. The CPU would throttle itself to keep in safe operating range if need be.

Soldato
As long as you have half decent system cooling and don’t have a high end graphics card dumping heat into the case the 5900X isn’t a hard CPU to cool.

Associate
How does that work ? Assuming he needs a 12 core cpu then dropping down to a 5600X isn't going to help much.

What’s the use of a 12 core CPU if it’s constantly throttled by an entry level cooler? If you aren’t utilising the improved IPC and higher clocks, get an older threadripper or 3900x and use the difference for proper cooling.

If you need the cores for productivity, and rely on it, then using insufficient cooling is going to reduce its lifespan/risk failure.

Soldato
What’s the use of a 12 core CPU if it’s constantly throttled by an entry level cooler? If you aren’t utilising the improved IPC and higher clocks, get an older threadripper or 3900x and use the difference for proper cooling.

If you need the cores for productivity, and rely on it, then using insufficient cooling is going to reduce its lifespan/risk failure.

It’s more likely the result will be higher noise levels and power use will become the limiting factor.

Soldato

Why are you assuming it would constantly throttle ? An older Threadripper 12 core isn't going to match up well to a 5900X, and you would need a different board anyway. As for the 3900X that isn't any cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/20.html

We would really need to know what the op is doing with the pc, and also what case he has before we can make any suggestions.

Associate
Why are you assuming it would constantly throttle ? An older Threadripper 12 core isn't going to match up well to a 5900X, and you would need a different board anyway. As for the 3900X that isn't any cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/20.html

We would really need to know what the op is doing with the pc, and also what case he has before we can make any suggestions.

It’s less about other options being cooler and more about having the funds available to sufficiently cool it while still getting to needed core count.

Maybe the CPU was a gift otherwise I don’t know why you’d spend all that money and skimp on cooling.

Soldato
It’s less about other options being cooler and more about having the funds available to sufficiently cool it while still getting to needed core count.

Maybe the CPU was a gift otherwise I don’t know why you’d spend all that money and skimp on cooling.

He might have a small form factor case and if so there won't be a lot of options for a cooler. I have asked the question above so we shall see.

Associate
I run a 5800x with a prism. Disabled PBO etc and just set the multiplier to 44. The system will sit mid 80’s under all core load at 4.4ghz and not throttle. Sits high 30s at idle.

I don’t need the all out max speeds that pBO offers and just wanted good stability which I seem to have

I imagine the 5900x would be similar.

Back
Top Bottom