• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ampere owners - do you own a FE/reference or AIB model?

Ampere owners, do you own an FE or AIB Model?

• FE

Votes: 156 67.8%
  • AIB

Votes: 74 32.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
FE

Just wish I'd held off for a 3080. Had one in my basket several times after getting the 3060 Ti, but got picked up by the anti-scalper tools each time.

OTOH, if it wasn't for the mining madness I wouldn't have upgraded at all. Bought the 3060 Ti for £369, sold my 5700 XT for £686, and have since made over a grand from mining on that humble card. So I shouldn't grumble. I could sell the 3060, buy an AIB 3080, and still be up substantially.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just out of interest, those of you who managed to bag a AIB card, did you buy it at the original MSRP launch price or the much higher current prices? I'm just curious as to how many of us actually managed to get a card before the prices shot up and are still using it today.

Soldato
I bought a 3080 Ti AIB for £200 over FE RRP

Figured AIB are slightly more expensive anyway, so not too bad. The only slight annoyance was that mine only has one HDMI port where I really wanted two.

Soldato
I paid £850 for a Zotac 3080 OC in Oct/Nov 2020 (F5 mashing season) through telegram alert. Dunno what the RRP was meant to be for the card, but at the time I imagine retailers were going for a bit of a markup due to demand. But still really pleased with it after 14 months. Like the 5yr warranty too.

Associate
Asus Strix 3090 Oc purchased from overclocks on release day for £1700 msrp. was about 30th in the queue and received it in October 2020. At the time i was shocked that it was so expensive at £1700 but purchased it as the FE cards were £1400 but nowhere to be seen so i though the £300 extra was sort of worth it being a strix ( Asus Tax ) and an oc version with higher power limits etc. In hindsight was a very good move tbh as now they are often selling for £3000 on most sites :cry:

Associate
It's a sign of how bad the current situation is when all 3 of the above seem like reasonable deals. But add to the fact that the users have had use out of them for a while now and that things panned out crazier than we all expected, they are reasonable deals.

Soldato
Interesting that 70% of people on here managed to get an FE. According to some on this forum they’re unicorn products that are unobtanium..

Associate
3090 FE that is now watercooled. To be honest I bought it to sell on, but once I received it and opened the box, it went straight in my rig.

Caporegime
Gigabyte 3080 Vision AIB here. Paid MSRP for it, although not from the retailer thanks to a generous soul. I have it vertically mounted and its great. Relatively quiet and runs around 75'C when gaming.

Permabanned
£560 for a 3070 here. More than I wanted to pay bit who knew just how broken the pc industry would/has become.

Can’t wait for new Gran Turismo to come out so I can buy a PS5 and give pc gaming a wide berth for a while.

Soldato
It's a sign of how bad the current situation is when all 3 of the above seem like reasonable deals. But add to the fact that the users have had use out of them for a while now and that things panned out crazier than we all expected, they are reasonable deals.
Indeed, i remember thinking how bloody expensive it was for a 3080 at £800+ scalper price! I kinda wish back then i bought them all and sat on them for 9 months lol.

Caporegime
Interesting that 70% of people on here managed to get an FE. According to some on this forum they’re unicorn products that are unobtanium..
Those people have vested/emotional interest, which they make plain every time they post :p

This thread clearly shows that many of us were able to source an FE, and thus it's perfectly fair to compare FE pricing to AIB pricing, where an FE equivalent does not exist.

Associate
Those people have vested/emotional interest, which they make plain every time they post :p

This thread clearly shows that many of us were able to source an FE, and thus it's perfectly fair to compare FE pricing to AIB pricing, where an FE equivalent does not exist.

Actually it doesn`t seem to be that difficult. I was able to get 3080TI FE from Nvidia site couple of weeks ago.
Was sitting there in the plain site for more then an hour. Checking Nvidia site maybe twice a week.
I have seen some 3070TI and 3090 there before as well. All this unicorns looks like I am really lucky ;p

Back
Top Bottom