PC Not Booting

Man of Honour
I did a silly thing, turned off my PC at the PSU and now it won't boot.

It boots to Repairing Windows, then stops there. I did some reading, seems a common issue so I got hold of a Windows 10 DVD so I can boot to that and repair.

My issue is though it starts to boot via the DVD it stops with the 4 blue box Windows icon on the screen, the DVD stops spinning and once again it locks and goes nowhere.

Currently building a USB boot drive on my Mac so I can try that and have just removed the Mobo battery which I shall replace with a new one, but any help welcomed. No obvious hardware issues, memory and disks all there in BIOS etc.

Associate
Can it boot in safe mode? if you keep disturbing the repair a couple of times you get to an Advanced Repair screen which can let yoiu select Safe Mode. Other than that try a reinstall of the software with the installation disk but keep your files.

Man of Honour
OP
Can it boot in safe mode? if you keep disturbing the repair a couple of times you get to an Advanced Repair screen which can let yoiu select Safe Mode. Other than that try a reinstall of the software with the installation disk but keep your files.
Yes done all of that, it isn't working.

I can't get into a safe mode, that is my issue.

Man of Honour
OP
You are missing my point.

I can’t get to a point where I can access ANY windows 10 apps, be that via normal boot, USB bootable or DVD. My PC is not allowing me to boot to a state where I can do anything.

Man of Honour
OP
I can’t boot from a USB

I can’t boot from a DVD

I go into the BIOS and force both those as primary boot devices, but it still gets stuck on the Windows screen and does not get past it. All very odd.

Associate
Not a clue then sorry, if you say it is all working fine then you should get somewhere with it.

Have you tried replacing any components? I would start with the HDD first, try and reboot and install windows on that and hope it’s a dodgy HDD. You can also try and put the HDD you took out into another machine and see if that boots there you will get errors as the hardware is different, but you should boot. It does look quite serious to me if you can’t even get to a windows screen in install so I would look at the hardware not being fine now.

Man of Honour
OP
I disconnected all the USB stuff (PC is on my race sim) and when it booted it moved into emergency mode so I did a full clean install.

All very odd, it would not go into emergency recovery from the installed Windows 10 instance, USB instance or Windows 10 DVD no matter what I did, how much faffing in the Bios or key pressing / on off button pressing I did.

Clean install fixed it and having 950Mbps internet makes it painless.

Back
Top Bottom