The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I hate to break the news to you, but you were upgraded to 12th in C... Where you clearly should have entered!:cry:
https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=2564527

Tbf, it looks like I was 7th according to that. Not sure why it would bump me (and the guy that finished just behind me) but then not put me ahead of others I was quicker than? It's also weird, as when I finished, on Zwift I could click Cat C to see there times and I was second from last? (I have just realised, even though they set off before me, I guess many hadn't yet finished and so there results weren't showing)

You did a 1hr51min ride on Xmas Day at 2.68W/Kg according to the Elevate (former Stravistix) plugin, based on your power and weight details, while only riding in your z4 heart zone for 2mins26secs.
https://www.strava.com/activities/6425391653/overview

I'm calling you out, sandbagger! ;)

I'll happily have some explain the whole 'Weighted Ave Power' and such. As far as I can see, I was 225W @ 103kg? That's 2.18w/kg and clearly in Cat D :p

Soldato
The normalised power ignores the zeros and shows up how varied the ride was as far I can tell.

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=2378447

That was a fair steady ride for most of it hence a low average power but the spikes in power were pretty high and varied so NP is higher as the load on the body is higher.

A TT effort being steady state will have the same average and NP as there's no variable so no higher load on the body.

Soldato
My missus is thinking about getting a Peloton.
She won’t want anything else, although there are cheaper options. The complete package the peloton gives appeals to her.
Does anyone have one and anything we should consider before pulling the trigger.

To me, it’s an expensive option and I think we’d be better getting a cheap exercise bike and the app subscription but she wants to go straight in.

She doesn’t really want to go to one of the shops to try it, I think she’s a bit intimidated as we’re not fitness people so trying to research online.

The £40 subscription seems steep but you have to pay it. Are there ever any discounts ever for it? I’d pay half which helps.

Im also reading about a referral code for a discount on accessories, unsure if this is US only but if anyone has one, that’d be handy!
Honestly, peleton seems like a complete rip off, £1500+ for a bike and £40 a month on top?! For what over a static bike and zwift sub? To have some annoying instructor shout motivating things at you from their swanky NYC loft, while you're sweating out your eyeballs in your garage?

Ignoring the fluff that peleton gives you, it's still a static bike trainer at the end of the day, and to get the most out of it she'll need to be happy sat on the bike for several hours a week going nowhere. Maybe get a cheap bike, on wheel trainer and zwift sub for a month (£300-400 + £13 for zwift) and see if she likes it before going in at the deep end for the best part of £2000 AND £40 a month....

Soldato
Okay, sounds like I should ignore normalised power then? Why would a spike have that much effect on the overall average? I think that's what I do best, spike power and recover quick.

It won't be one spike as such, it'll be any rises in the road pushing harder at each one.

I can race a race at lower average power as I'd be freewheeling or sitting on, but my NP would be sky high as there's so many surges way above the average.

My mate used to want to ride climbs at a set power and older guys I ride with can sit at 26mph whereas I like to give them some hurt winding it up to 32mph then back to 24mph back up to 32mph people haaaaaate it but I love it.

Soldato
Well that was a long day!
The end of 2021 has been pretty crap for me for personal reasons, so it was a good chance to be distracted all day. There was some great company and banter throughout so it was fairly enjoyable.
Won't be doing it again in a hurry!!

Associate
The end of 2021 has been pretty crap for me for personal reasons, so it was a good chance to be distracted all day. There was some great company and banter throughout so it was fairly enjoyable.

great effort. Do you have a rocker plate? I couldn’t survive that long.

Soldato
I've been off the bike for so long in going to have to do the back to fitness plan I think.

I still can't manage much more than an hour on the bike, the key for me is having a break every 30 minutes, just get off walk the length of the garage have a drink then back on the bike.

Soldato

Nicely done. Other then change of clothes, did you have any other tactics, specific provisions to make it more comfortable? You did it in 30 mins less then I did, but over 7 days. Can't have been much time off the bike.

Soldato
Nicely done. Other then change of clothes, did you have any other tactics, specific provisions to make it more comfortable? You did it in 30 mins less then I did, but over 7 days. Can't have been much time off the bike.

Not much to be honest. I'm pretty used to fuelling for long events, so it was just more of the same - but longer.

I think I had about 45 mins worth of break over the whole ride I think, one longer break at halfway for some proper food, and the others were mostly water refills and pee stops.

Soldato

**** me mate, well done on that ride!

I just about managed nearly 3 on the turbo today, I'd have a vagina but the time I got to 12 hours.

Soldato
What's a good setup for a fixed indoor bike me and the wife can use and I can use with zwift? Nothing mega expensive..
What's the height difference between you? If you can get away with a saddle height adjustment, then you can leave a cheap used road bike attached to a smart trainer. You'll be looking at £500 for a trainer, £100-300 for a bike, then a cassette. Oh and a fan, and a table to hold water/towel/remote. And something to run Zwift on - laptop/Apple TV etc.

That's assuming you already have spd pedals and shoes, cycling shorts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom