Parked up and crashed into - cost to repair scratches/chipped paint?

Soldato
Nightmare isn’t it. Completely ruined my day and I’ve been faffing about trying to find the cheapest place for them since they said I’m trying to con them when I said it’s going to cost about £200. Makes me wonder whether I should have just said we will do it through insurance. If it was me in their shoes, I’d say to find the best quote, let me know what I owe you and that’d be that! I’ve even shown them the quotes…

Depending on how they said it, I'd probably just go via insurance then if they don't go for the chipsaway quote.

Soldato
Nightmare isn’t it. Completely ruined my day and I’ve been faffing about trying to find the cheapest place for them since they said I’m trying to con them when I said it’s going to cost about £200. Makes me wonder whether I should have just said we will do it through insurance. If it was me in their shoes, I’d say to find the best quote, let me know what I owe you and that’d be that! I’ve even shown them the quotes…
Got 3 places I want to use, all closed this week, my insurance is up for renewal mid January so I don't fancy renewing with an open claim if I go insurance route :(

Associate
OP
Depending on how they said it, I'd probably just go via insurance then if they don't go for the chipsaway quote.

I think I will do this for sure.

They also said something along the lines of they have proof I accepted £80 on the side of the road. Almost as if a threat to say I can’t go through insurance now. I’m sure this isn’t the case though and I still can?

At the time I wasn’t aware of the repair costs and not once did I say £80 will be fine. And why would they give me his number and say to contact if any issues to then be unhappy when I say the repair is nearer £200…

Associate
OP
Got 3 places I want to use, all closed this week, my insurance is up for renewal mid January so I don't fancy renewing with an open claim if I go insurance route :(

Oh bad timing then. A few near me are open tomorrow but I’d prefer to go with the chipsaway quote I’ve got rather than using my morning tomorrow driving around different body shops to save a tenner. No doubt they’d be more expensive than chipsaway anyway.

Soldato
It is unfortunately a potentially strong argument since you took the money. I would not have accepted any payment I wasn't completely happy with.

But don't let him think that. Going via insurance will still be a hassle for him, even if you lose.

Associate
OP
It is unfortunately a potentially strong argument since you took the money. I would not have accepted any payment I wasn't completely happy with.

But don't let him think that. Going via insurance will still be a hassle for him, even if you lose.

That’s true, they were insistent on not going down insurance route too so you would think they’ll just transfer the remainder of the cost.

Next time I will take more time to check costs of repairs and probably over evaluate it too in case. Was reluctant to not take anything in case they gave me incorrect details and I was left with nothing. I tend to think the worst of humanity though!

Soldato
£2-300 I reckon via Chipsaway, a bit more if a proper bodyshop. However, if your car is cheap,, say under £1k, and you go through insurance, they could even write it off!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Give back the £80.

Go through insurance.

Leave them argue the toss.

Associate
OP
They’ve ignored all my messages now. I sent an ultimatum saying let’s call it quits at £170 which was the minimum price on the cheapest quote. Asked them to please forward the £90 over to me otherwise it’ll be an insurance route instead.

Didn’t hear anything back. It’s been about 40 hours now too.

Not sure how I’d give them the £80 back as they don’t reply.

I think it’s outrageous that they feel it’s OK to ram into my parked car and then not feel any guilt or expect to pay the full cost of repair, whilst begging me to not report to insurance the whole time at the scene. He clearly thinks I’m not going to report to insurance so has chosen the best course of action is to ignore all my messages.

Looking back I should have refused his £80 and gone straight to insurance to save all this messing about and chasing after him. Lesson learnt for next time.

My excess is £325 so more than the cost of repair - so don’t know what I should do now. I suppose I’ll have to just get over it and take it as a reminder of what utter shambles humans are. Any normal person would be willing to pay the cost of repair (not even factoring in my time and the fact I won’t have my car for the day, so perhaps I should add a days wage to the cost too!). He’s got off lightly with the £170 quote but nope, doesn’t want to pay a penny more!

Soldato
I'd avoid the insurance if you can else you will have to disclose it for the next 5 years and it will likely push your premiums up over that time by more than the extra cost to repair.

Associate
OP
I'd avoid the insurance if you can else you will have to disclose it for the next 5 years and it will likely push your premiums up over that time by more than the extra cost to repair.

Yeah doesn’t seem worth it. I am just in two minds about it as I’m so frustrated that they won’t pay the repair cost so in one way I want some form of revenge putting it on their record. Shooting myself in the foot at the same time though that way.

Need to find a way of just getting over it. See if they reply today to my final message, hopefully they see sense.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Will it though? The mrs claimed on her mini after she broke a wheel and suspension arm (collided with a out sticking rock) and the cost of the increase was about £100 for the first few years. Cost of the claim was £2000+ because mini wanted genuine parts etc.

Man of Honour
Oh good to know, didn’t realise this. My insurance document said something along the lines of excess of £325 must be paid even when it’s a non-fault. Perhaps I should read the small print more.

Depends on your insurer and whether the other party's insurance admits liability or not (depending on insurer some waive the excess in that case).

Associate
maybe hes used that 40 hours to either
a/ get insured :)
b/ repair his own car...so he can deny having any accident? sorry late to the party but did you get any photos of his damage/car.
i would ring the insurance and explain what happened, giving them the details, as regards the 80 pound im not sure you have a problem , it could always be offset against the damage, or even what proof does he have he gave it you? (not condoning keeping it). wouldnt the fact he gave you the 80 pounds act in your favour...him admitting liability

you are not a mechanic so how are you suppose to know how much the damage will cost without it being assessed?.

as regards to b/ i have had this happen where a guy repaired his own car before the insurance looked at his vehicle and flat out denied any damage or liabillity. lucky i had gone around to his address the same night and had photos of his car damage and even him repairing it with a mate:) he soon backed down.

Man of Honour
wouldnt the fact he gave you the 80 pounds act in your favour...him admitting liability

Not really sure how it works but the other party could argue it was an acceptance of settlement.

From other people's experiences I never waste time on doing anything but reporting to insurance and letting them handle it from there these days. Chances are you'll just get messed about otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom