Resident Evil 4' VR remake hits Oculus Quest 2 on October 21st

Soldato
I've been on VR for about a year now, my legs are stronger than initially, but games like this still make me feel queasy after 20 mins. Not sure it's a game for VR newbies. I remember when I first got VR I tried to play Saints and Sinners and couldn't get through the tutorial - walking towards the bagged Zombies was enough to push me beyond my limit. I can play that for around 20 mins now too.

It varies from person to person. Some people never get sick, some people never can adjust and always get sick. Most people can acclimatise over time.

That's why there are comfort options in VR games. RE4 gets most of the comfort options right, except for no controller oriented movement.

I've seen reviews of RE4 from Youtubers new to VR and they don't seem to have any real problems with comfort using teleport movement and snap turns.

Soldato
Note that Ars Technica are massively anti-Facebook, so much so that it biases their reporting on Oculus stuff, so bear that in mind when reading the article.

I'm not exactly pro-Facebook. I didn't want a Facebook account, and only made one for use with Oculus and will never risk the account by posting anything on it due to the insane rules which change daily (what's acceptable yesterday may be an account ban tomorrow), but even I have to admit that Facebook seem to be the only company that 'gets' VR properly and has made a massive efford to make it affordable and usable by novices.

RE4 in VR would not exist if it weren't for facebook (as would not Lone Echo and Lone Echo 2, which are also must-play games).

Soldato
I’ve just bought this today and had my first 20 minutes on it.

Had it on full immersive mode and for the first time with VR felt physically sick playing it. Had to put it down and will come back to it tomorrow.

Guessing I’ll change the settings around. What does everyone recommend to make it as comfortable to play as possible whilst still feeling realistic?

Soldato

Had it on full immersive mode and for the first time with VR felt physically sick playing it. Had to put it down and will come back to it tomorrow.

Guessing I’ll change the settings around. What does everyone recommend to make it as comfortable to play as possible whilst still feeling realistic?

Change the comfort settings to use teleport and/or snap turns.

Soldato

Have a fan on you too, stay cool. Don't try and push through either, as soon as you feel nauseous, stop. You don't want your brain associating VR with feeling sick.

Teleport movement, instant turn rather than smooth. Different games work differently for me. Some games I can smooth turn, others it makes me nauseous, locomotion I can do smoothly though. As you do more in VR you get more used to it (your VR legs) and you should be able to take more intensive experiences.

Soldato

I played RE4 for the first time on New Years Eve and had the same experience as you. I put the game down for half an hour before picking back up to get to a typewriter.

Next time I’m going to switch on snap turn and see how I get on.

I’ve not played much VR and this is the first game I’ve played where you actually move around other than mostly forwards such as Pistol Whip.

Associate
snap turn makes a massive difference for me in VR, I really cant deal with smooth turning it makes me ill very quickly

Soldato
I use snap turning, but only because I turn in real life when the action heats up. So it wouldn't really make a difference for me in After the Fall.

Associate
Yeah I actually find snap turning good in vr, some games I'm fine with smooth but certain times motion sickness can rear it's ugly head and snap turning is good then

Soldato
I have now completed Resident Evil 4 VR on Meta Quest. Unlike a lot of people I had never played any version of this game before and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of content/gameplay. The cut scenes were a bit annoying in a couple of places (mostly towards the end of the game) but overall I really enjoyed it.

Soldato
I have now completed Resident Evil 4 VR on Meta Quest. Unlike a lot of people I had never played any version of this game before and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of content/gameplay. The cut scenes were a bit annoying in a couple of places (mostly towards the end of the game) but overall I really enjoyed it.

Same for me, never played any Resident Evil game before and enjoyed the playthrough of it on the Quest. The only part that annoyed me was the final part escaping on the Jet Ski.

Back
Top Bottom