• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Surprised how short the power lead is on the Series X. It's caught me out after the length of the xbox one and power brick! It won't reach my extension sockets! Is it safe to run a single extension lead into a multi-plug extension cord or I guess I need to find a longer figure 8 lead :)

Just get a longer lead, about a fiver for a 5 metre one :)

Soldato
We have come a long way since the Xbox 360 and the 64, 256 and 512mb rip off memory cards!
The expansion card considering the spec of the internals is not far from a rip off.. M.2 drives of the same transfer speed (2400MB/S) sell for £70. Seagate and Microsoft are making sure they are making decent margins.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The expansion card considering the spec of the internals is not far from a rip off.. M.2 drives of the same transfer speed (2400MB/S) sell for £70. Seagate and Microsoft are making sure they are making decent margins.

But when you look at the same SSD family - CompactFlash Express cards - for digital SLRs they are £500+ for 512GB. So clearly there is something in the design that warrants that cost. These are not just bog standard M.2 NVMe drives.

Soldato
But when you look at the same SSD family - CompactFlash Express cards - for digital SLRs they are £500+ for 512GB. So clearly there is something in the design that warrants that cost. These are not just bog standard M.2 NVMe drives.

You sound like a consumer. There is nothing special about the components of the card the flash chip is a off the shelf Gen 3 flash chip with a proprietary interface.

locking people into proprietary storage is the oldest scam.

Caporegime
OP
You sound like a consumer. There is nothing special about the components of the card the flash chip is a off the shelf Gen 3 flash chip with a proprietary interface.

Well either way, we can't do anything about it. Either put up with the price or shut up about it. :D

A tip from me - get going on Microsoft Rewards. After 6 months, I could change my total into £ and get that SSD for £90.

Soldato

locking people into proprietary storage is the oldest scam.

Its a Gen 4 Phison controller there is also a lot more to an SSD than just raw speed. Most consumers much prefer to just plug something in and go. Its a far simpler solution than what is available on PS5 from a non technical consumer perspective.

Soldato
Its a Gen 4 Phison controller there is also a lot more to an SSD than just raw speed. Most consumers much prefer to just plug something in and go. Its a far simpler solution than what is available on PS5 from a non technical consumer perspective.

Fine if you think a £120 premium for convenience is worth it.

The interface/controller is gen 4 but the actual NAND chips are gen 3 and only capable of 2400MB/s.

Soldato
1tb is plenty for me. Only 75% full and half of those I don't play. Broadband is fast enough that it's not really an issue to download stuff, especially if you use the app to install stuff. Maybe that'll change in a few years as install sizes increase.

Soldato
1tb is plenty for me. Only 75% full and half of those I don't play. Broadband is fast enough that it's not really an issue to download stuff, especially if you use the app to install stuff. Maybe that'll change in a few years as install sizes increase.
Some people feel the need to half 30 games installed at once and never complete a game because they have an attention span of a gnat.

Soldato
The interface/controller is gen 4 but the actual NAND chips are gen 3 and only capable of 2400MB/s.

The expansion drive pairs a four-channel "gen 4" controller with a single 1TB "4D" NAND flash chip (higher density than the 1TB chips found on the WD SN570 or Samsung 980). The maximum transfer rate of the controller is 1200MT/s per channel, which is equal to 600MB/s per channel, or 2400MB/s total. To get significantly higher speeds, a better controller and more NAND flash chips (and therefore a larger board) would be needed. The PS5 uses a 12 channel controller and six 128GiB NAND flash chips to hit 5500MB/s.

Bare 2280 format PC drives aren't really a fair comparison in terms of price. They're 2.7x larger and come without an enclosure. But Kingston released a new portable drive a few months ago (Kingston XS2000) which is a similar physical size to the Xbox Expansion Drive and with only slightly lower transfer rates (2000MB/s). It's around £130. Clearly Microsoft and Seagate are taking the pee a bit. £100/£150/£250 for 512GB/1TB/2TB would be more appropriate.

Soldato
Hey guys,
Just got hold of an Xbox and planning to go for Gamepass Ultimate when my current Gamepass for PC trial ends. I saw that buying the codes online seems to be a bit cheaper than just doing a normal monthly subscription, so will likely go down this route, especially as it sounds like Xbox live gold to Gamepass is no longer reliably 1:1.

The question I had was I noted there are worldwide and EU codes. The EU codes are slightly cheaper than WW but not sure if MS will allow me to redeem them as we are no longer strictly in the EU, or whether they don't care as it's more European region than actually European Union.

Any tried them out recently and knows for sure? There's not much in it but £20 a year is a worthwhile saving :)

Caporegime
Hey guys,
Just got hold of an Xbox and planning to go for Gamepass Ultimate when my current Gamepass for PC trial ends. I saw that buying the codes online seems to be a bit cheaper than just doing a normal monthly subscription, so will likely go down this route, especially as it sounds like Xbox live gold to Gamepass is no longer reliably 1:1.

The question I had was I noted there are worldwide and EU codes. The EU codes are slightly cheaper than WW but not sure if MS will allow me to redeem them as we are no longer strictly in the EU, or whether they don't care as it's more European region than actually European Union.

Any tried them out recently and knows for sure? There's not much in it but £20 a year is a worthwhile saving :)

Do the Brazil trick? Seems to still be working.

Soldato
Do the Brazil trick? Seems to still be working.

I would prefer to avoid anything obviously illegit incase they crack down on accounts 'abusing' overseas codes; I've had my hotmail/xbox account for decades so prefer to keep everything above board on it. They probably won't but sods law they'll do a crackdown on people found using it the moment I decided to use such a thing! It would be my usual luck! :D

Man of Honour
I would prefer to avoid anything obviously illegit incase they crack down on accounts 'abusing' overseas codes; I've had my hotmail/xbox account for decades so prefer to keep everything above board on it. They probably won't but sods law they'll do a crackdown on people found using it the moment I decided to use such a thing! It would be my usual luck! :D

If you’re buying the codes from dodgy places like cdkeys anyway then just go the Brazil route.

Associate

Just done a year via cdkeys/Brazil, then the ultimate conversion, no issues what so ever.
Using it on the PC atm as I haven't got a series x yet

Soldato
It's a brilliant semi sim level WW2 FPS. Online only. Excellent on PC but I want to be able to play it on big TV and with surround sound, hence getting Xbox. Can play with you maybe if you buy it.

I bought Hell Let Loose last night for like £18 via Brazilian store. Fired up a game, wow.. it's intense. Unlike anything I've seen on a console before. Looks incredible on Series X also. I'm going to try and get my bearings on it and I'll be up for some games with people here.

Back
Top Bottom