Smart Meters

Soldato
I'll nudge this thread since parents had a smart meter problem, below issue got lost in the woes of the energy thread

Eon Chameleon home smart meter display failing to show electricity Kwhr consumption - always reads zero ?
we power cycled it and restarted in close proximity to the meter, but still no joy, all other readings correct, including electricity used price.

couple of other issues from christmas dinner
- Entering Eon alphanumeric account numbers on their phone system - do you enter a C, for example, by pressing 2 once ? relation doesn't have a smart phone.
- Their billing system seems to have tight restriction on browsers versions, or, is using obscure web-sites blocked by ublockO,
the page is rendered corrctly, but then goes blank/white ?

Soldato
I wouldn’t worry about the display if the meter is reading and reporting correctly.

I’d just press 2 once.

Use a clean browser like edge for certain sites if they are having problems with the modded one.

Soldato
I'll nudge this thread since parents had a smart meter problem, below issue got lost in the woes of the energy thread

Eon Chameleon home smart meter display failing to show electricity Kwhr consumption - always reads zero ?
we power cycled it and restarted in close proximity to the meter, but still no joy, all other readings correct, including electricity used price.

I work closely with the EON back office team which deal with tech issues for smart meters, Send me a trust if you want me to get them to have a look if everything is set up properly

Soldato
I work closely with the EON back office team
Thanks for the offer - I'll see first if the help line helps them - msg had said back in office on 4th when we called on 29th.

I'm partly intrigued which IHD data - if any, is provided directly from local meters, versus, all the IHD data is fed back from the Eon cloud.

I wouldn’t worry about the display if the meter is reading and reporting correctly.
I'm sure they are, but seeing kwhrs consumed is easier to digest, than reverse engineering from total electricity price.
I'm still waiting for a provider (Bulb tried with samsung smart things) to provide an app which would show me overlayed daily consumption profiles, so I could clearly see electric cooking(oven/hob) consumption etc.

Soldato
Sorry to say it but you are now a tick in the box marked Smart Meters installed, meaning once it in they don't give two hoots about you :( I hear its not just EDF that work this way
After over two years of no electricity readings from my Smart meter, it's suddenly sprung to life.:eek:

Soldato
Thanks for the offer - I'll see first if the help line helps them - msg had said back in office on 4th when we called on 29th.

I'm partly intrigued which IHD data - if any, is provided directly from local meters, versus, all the IHD data is fed back from the Eon cloud.
etc.

IHD's get data from the meter, only account data (MPAN/MPRN Unit price and Standing charge) comes from the Supplier side.

Soldato
My SMETS1 meters were installed in 2014 and only worked for the first year, until I switched provider a year later. Ever since then, they've been dumb meters and no other provider has ever been able to get a reading from them.

So I've arranged with EDF for my SMETS1 meters to be replaced with SMETS2 ones. The exchange should happen in a little over a week's time and, once everything has been setup, I should be able to enjoy not having to submit meters readings again - or at least until these become obsolete and need replacing. :rolleyes:

Soldato
My SMETS1 meters were installed in 2014 and only worked for the first year, until I switched provider a year later. Ever since then, they've been dumb meters and no other provider has ever been able to get a reading from them.

So I've arranged with EDF for my SMETS1 meters to be replaced with SMETS2 ones. The exchange should happen in a little over a week's time and, once everything has been setup, I should be able to enjoy not having to submit meters readings again - or at least until these become obsolete and need replacing. :rolleyes:

In theory smets2 will only need replacing because of failure or at end of life. EOL is stated at 15-20 years, that is stipulated by and because of the weights and measures act that metering falls under.

Soldato
In theory smets2 will only need replacing because of failure or at end of life. EOL is stated at 15-20 years, that is stipulated by and because of the weights and measures act that metering falls under.
When the SMETS1 meter was installed, the impression I was given by the installer was that the battery would probably trigger a replacement before the meter itself actually needed replacing - by which time, they would just replace the meter anyway.

Is it an older smets 1 meter? These are being migrated in mass to the newer system so lots that had been previously inactive are coming back to life!
I grew bored of waiting for the supposed end of year of update. I also remain unconvinced that Frankensteining SMETS1 meters is the best thing to do.

Associate

Or being broken by a software update because British Gas can't handle a 5 port smets2 meter leading to a new year without heating...

Soldato
When the SMETS1 meter was installed, the impression I was given by the installer was that the battery would probably trigger a replacement before the meter itself actually needed replacing - by which time, they would just replace the meter anyway.

I grew bored of waiting for the supposed end of year of update. I also remain unconvinced that Frankensteining SMETS1 meters is the best thing to do.
They are coming back to life in huge numbers as they are migrated across which is finally progressing and a rate of knots. Bringing them back to life is much bette than replacing them!

Soldato
They are coming back to life in huge numbers as they are migrated across which is finally progressing and a rate of knots. Bringing them back to life is much bette than replacing them!
Any idea why my SMETS2 meter would spring to life? :confused:

Edit: It's a Chameleon 3 supplied by EDF if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Soldato

Only the gas meter has a battery and should last between 7 and 10 years from Initial production.

Or being broken by a software update because British Gas can't handle a 5 port smets2 meter leading to a new year without heating...

Nothing to do with BG, the software update was a security fix implemented by the DCC that has broken thousands of 5 hole SMETS2's we (EDF) have been replacing them with a different brand of 5 hole meter.

Unfortunately only Elec smets1's are able to be converted, and as soon the gas becomes eligible for SMETS2 (because it's a smets1 that needs replacing) the whole system Inc electric has to be ripped out and replaced even if the Elec has been converted as we cannot use the Comms device on the Elec to join a smets2 gas or IHD.

Any idea why my SMETS2 meter would spring to life? :confused:

Edit: It's a Chameleon 3 supplied by EDF if that makes any difference.

Could be signal strength has improved or a remote update triggered a device reboot (something that has only been implemented recently).

Associate
Nothing to do with BG, the software update was a security fix implemented by the DCC that has broken thousands of 5 hole SMETS2's we (EDF) have been replacing them with a different brand of 5 hole meter.

It was working ok on the night of the 28th, had the welcome to British Gas message come through on the 29th and it's been broke since then. The engineer came out and said it was a British Gas update and he had seen a lot of these recently. He also mentioned British Gas do not do a 5 port meter, so when ever they take over the supply, they turn the 5th port off. Maybe he didn't realise it was a DCC update instead. Although it might make sense, the meter has effectively been without an official supplier while the account was transfered over. Maybe being with a supplier again meant we got the DCC update? End result is they say they have to fit a dumb old style meter to make it work again. Still waiting on them to track one down though!

On another note, thank you (I think it was you) who suggested EDF are taking on new gas customers. Managed to get myself signed up, and on to a variable tariff as well! Am just hoping it all goes ok as the supply situation is in a bit of a mess apparently due to a meter being installed, but with no supplier listed against it. It says the switch is on target, but there will be no supplier to switch from.. fingers crossed!

Soldato
It was working ok on the night of the 28th, had the welcome to British Gas message come through on the 29th and it's been broke since then. The engineer came out and said it was a British Gas update and he had seen a lot of these recently. He also mentioned British Gas do not do a 5 port meter, so when ever they take over the supply, they turn the 5th port off. Maybe he didn't realise it was a DCC update instead. Although it might make sense, the meter has effectively been without an official supplier while the account was transfered over. Maybe being with a supplier again meant we got the DCC update? End result is they say they have to fit a dumb old style meter to make it work again. Still waiting on them to track one down though!

On another note, thank you (I think it was you) who suggested EDF are taking on new gas customers. Managed to get myself signed up, and on to a variable tariff as well! Am just hoping it all goes ok as the supply situation is in a bit of a mess apparently due to a meter being installed, but with no supplier listed against it. It says the switch is on target, but there will be no supplier to switch from.. fingers crossed!

Just because the supplier does not support 5 hole meters does not mean it will be turned off. There was a major update literally thousands of 5 hole meters have done the same as yours. BG do offer eco7 and similar two rate tariffs they have to to be able to be competitive.

Yeah it was me glad you got sorted.

Back
Top Bottom