Spec Me: A Game Similar To Subnautica Or Astroneer

Soldato
Looking for a PC game in a similar vein to Subnautica or Astroneer.

- Sci-fi genre
- Heavy on exploration
- Not to crazy on the crafting/puzzles
- Single Player - no servers involved

Any advice/recommendations gratefully received.

Soldato
Might not be 100% what you're looking for but Prey is amazing and ticks all the boxes, there is some crafting in the form of recycling, though, and it's not a sandbox but offers quite a lot of freedom when it comes to exploring and tackling stuff.

Soldato
Subnautica below zero? :p

Guessing you've played that too though.

Fallout 4 maybe? Has all the resource gathering, base building etc, but a bit more story based.

Or The Forest - not quite so much sci-fi, but similar mechanics

Watching with interest as I love both of the games in the op as well

Soldato
Nothing will beat subnautica so I'd recommend playing it again.
Haven't tried number two due to the reviews and how the story plays out.

Associate
I'm playing through below zero atm and while it's nowhere near as atmospheric as the first, I'd still recommend it if you enjoyed it
+1. Finished the 2nd one a few months ago and although not as good as the first, its still pretty good. Unlike the first, the sense of being by yourself with no help is not there though and the depths of the ocean are not as frightening.

Believe 'Stranded Deep' and 'Raft' are similar but without the sci-fi aspect.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check those recommendations out.

I’ve played Sub Zero through twice now, so I just might give the original another play through as I enjoyed it more than Sub Zero and I believe the critters being able to destroy your Cyclops in 30 seconds flat got patched out as did its nasty habit of catching fire for no obvious reason.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check those recommendations out.

I’ve played Sub Zero through twice now, so I just might give the original another play through as I enjoyed it more than Sub Zero and I believe the critters being able to destroy your Cyclops in 30 seconds flat got patched out as did its nasty habit of catching fire for no obvious reason.

Never found the Cyclops much fun in Subnautica - I used a mixture of Prawn suit and Seamoth to complete the game - Seamoth especially was good fun to use.

Soldato
OP
I found the Seamoth excellent for exploring and resource gathering, but the Cyclops is excellent as a mobile base and I found it a lot less faff to move the Prawnsuit around using it than piloting the thing itself over long distances.

Man of Honour
I found the Seamoth excellent for exploring and resource gathering, but the Cyclops is excellent as a mobile base and I found it a lot less faff to move the Prawnsuit around using it than piloting the thing itself over long distances.

I just built a couple of outposts to swap between Prawn suit and Seamoth at, coupled with the teleporters made getting around a breeze.

Soldato
I found that the best thing to do with subnautica was to build the sub and then go to the island, get some plants and just grown them in the sub. Self sufficient without the need to farm for food or water

Back
Top Bottom