BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
That's more like it :)

Reasonable cost too - £50 + vat, exc cable.

I didn't fuss about terminating my own cable etc, as I didn't feel the need to invest in my own tools. I went with something weatherproof, shielded and 100% copper, and seems to be decent quality. No noticeable difference in speed over a good quality 2m cable - this one is 20m.

Associate
My VM deal has ended on my 350 package and my monthly cost has gone up to £55 a month. I'm really tempted to change over to BT FTTP 900Mbps but am I likely to get any better deal than what's currently on their website - £49.99 per month? Cheers

Man of Honour
My VM deal has ended on my 350 package and my monthly cost has gone up to £55 a month. I'm really tempted to change over to BT FTTP 900Mbps but am I likely to get any better deal than what's currently on their website - £49.99 per month? Cheers
Use top cashback or similar and enjoy decent broadband, FTTP is much better than VM.

Soldato
BT tend to play hardball and your unlikely to get better than what's listed.

Soldato

FTTP is so worth it over Virgin - the stability is much improved, both on the network and router side of things :)

Associate
FTTP is so worth it over Virgin - the stability is much improved, both on the network and router side of things :)

I've ordered it - due for installation on 18 January :) Problem is: The fibre will come from a pole across the road, and I live in a dorma-style house. The cable will have to go to the highest point on the house (which is the loft) but we've recently built a single-storey side extension which prevents access to the side wall. Will they use a bucket lift or something similar to get high enough?

V F

V F

Soldato
I've ordered it - due for installation on 18 January :) Problem is: The fibre will come from a pole across the road, and I live in a dorma-style house. The cable will have to go to the highest point on the house (which is the loft) but we've recently built a single-storey side extension which prevents access to the side wall. Will they use a bucket lift or something similar to get high enough?

That's going to look ugly as hell. :/ I remember years ago when more people started talking of FTTP, I honestly thought it meant Fiber to the Pole. They really should describe it FTTH as that really what happens.

People's eyes light up when they hear Fiber to the Home over Fiber to the Premises. https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4701683-not-many-people-want-fttp.html#Post4701683
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59683884

"Partly BT's own fault for calling FTTC Fibre, why change to FTTP when you are told you have Fibre already. In our local area which is 100% ADSL with an OR van a regular visitor to fix the lines, then everyone you speak to wants FTTP when it arrives next year."

Soldato
It was pushed massively in my area, but it always is. I don't know why but we're always about the first area in the country to get the latest tech. Leaflets through the door saying its coming soon, then again saying its available to order.

Caporegime
Finally had a cable installed from the ONT to the room we use an office.

Previously getting 350 Mb/s over WiFi, now getting this:

I have an old 20M cable that I connected up to see what I could get.

12545847986.png

Normally I am getting 450-500 over Wifi so still fantastic. My main computer is downstairs so might get the router out and make a channel in the skirting for a cable but that will be a project for later I think.

Associate
HI,
Will BT install the ONT where you want it rather than the easiest option? I have my router and switch in the back of my house however the pole is at the front?
Thanks

Soldato
Eventually got my fibre install completed yesterday, original install date was due 25th Nov but they needed extra ducting work done which wasnt complete till the week before xmas. Installer was great, basically allowed me to choose my ONT location where i wanted. Im only in a 2 bed bungalow so wifi coverage will be fine throughout but i did want to make sure i had the ONT close to my office so i didnt have to route cable through the attic.

Went for the 500mb FTTP, speeds seem to be bang on hardwired which is what i hoped, wifi wise it varies but seem to be anywhere from 50 - 150mb depending on location.

Associate
Recently had BT FTTP 500 installed and put in mesh system with it. Went with the Deco M9 and the wifi performance has been really good. Only issue is that the wired connection to the main Deco doesn't get the speeds I was hoping for. The main Deco reports the speeds of ~475Mbps in the Deco app, and I can see over 400Mbps on wifi in the same room. But both laptop and PS4 only shown around 170-220Mbps connected on a 5e cable. I have tried different cables, have tried the two different ports on the unit, but no improvement. Anyone got any idea what could be happening? I did see that running on PPPOE could cause some slowdown, but would it really be that much? Worth persisting with the Deco or worth trying an alternative?

Soldato
Guys, will be leaving VM soon as I can get full fibre 900 here now but I have a few questions. Go EE or BT? also one more thing, can the routers be changed to just modem mode? Cheers in advance

Man of Honour
Guys, will be leaving VM soon as I can get full fibre 900 here now but I have a few questions. Go EE or BT? also one more thing, can the routers be changed to just modem mode? Cheers in advance
Go with whoever works best out for you, BT are doing an Xbox game pass currently and EE do discounts for mobile customers. The ONT is the 'modem', you can plug in whatever compatible router into that if you don't want to use the ISP one.

Man of Honour
QUOTE="Cryfreeman, post: 35346096, member: 7077"]Great thanks for that :D[/QUOTE]
You'll obviously need your PPpoE credentials from the ISP to put into whichever router you use. I believe with VM this isn't required.
Don’t forget TopCashback.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hoping someone can help because I’m getting rather frustrated by this.

I have a TP-Link W9970 modem/router and it been great for years, however when I upload the connection goes to crap and my pings to BBC.co.uk shoot up to like 400ms.

I received a Sagemcom modem/router from TalkTalk recently and it resolves this upload problem, however the modem is rubbish and I sync at 8mbit lower for the download speed. I bought a Zyxel VMG3925-B10C modem/router, configured it in bridge mode with the Sagemcom, and the sync rate is now amazing but I’m back to having garbage ping times when uploading.

I have a Huawei HG612 modem on the way. Is it likely to fix this problem when used with the Sagemcom?

Back
Top Bottom