The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I run fancyzones. It just allows automatic resizing and placement of applications according to the template that you create. If that template is just 2 zone side by side then all that will happen is that windowed applications will be resized to exactly half the screen. Any game running full screen will use the whole screen.

I see, so you cant choose to run the game on just half the screen?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I know it's only 120 but you could probably use two outputs from the one PC, use BPB and then flick to one giant screen when you want to whole thing? Assuming Windows doesn't freak out.

I guess, but the whole point is that id rather it stay at 240 and still be able to multitask whilst playing a game. Similar to how it will be now if im just using 2 separate displays

Associate
For Neo G9 users, could I check if the viewing angles are ok for off angle movie watching?

I usually will recline in my chair when catching up on movies/NF and wonder if off angle the colors will become washed out as this is a VA panel.

Used to own a VA panel many years back and had this issue when leaning back in my chair and ended up switching to an IPS screen. Wondering if it’s better on a modern day VA like a Neo G9. Thanks! :)

Soldato
Might take a punt on this, I've ruined monitors by having an OLED tv so feel they all look naff in comparison but this seems to be getting good reviews. I'm just concerned a lot of games I play will look stupid at that resolution.

Associate
I have tested 10 G9 Neo now. 9 of 10 with dust inside panel. Many with popping/sizzling noises and yellow, horizontal lines.

This G9 series is a mess. And the one without dust, but horizontal lines, died with black screen bug* after a day of usage.

*picture disappears after 2-3 minutes, backlight is still enabled. Joystick and menu didnt respond. You need to remove the power for 2-3 minutes. Then it starts again, with the same problem after 2-3 minutes :D.

I have read about this problem on some forums.

This G9 Neo is so crappy. Firmware 1008 and it can barely beat an oled in terms of hdr brightness :D. Lol.

Im really exhausted using my own money for this messed up lottery. When i buy G9 Neo again. Only on invoice. I wont wait for sellers random return processing time anymore and if it takes to long i have to pay the credit cards for electronic waste.

But i think it's enough. The chance for getting a dust free monitor with minimal or none yellow horizontal lines, without pixel failures or other panel defects and without popping/sizzling noises is so minimal. You cant win this lottery without buying 100 or more G9 Neo.

Same for PG32UQX. Among 11 only 2 without dust (one with pixel failure and the other one with several ugly color tints and very bad brightness uniformity).

Tested also severeal LG panel monitors. Yes i saw bad color homogenity on some and some with pixel failures, but none with dust. This AUO/CSOT/Samsung panel crap has mostly dust.

Last edited:
Soldato

Wow this review destroyed these monitors, seems they are all faulty in some way even after many replacements.

Same with the Asus 32inch mini led. Experimental beta testing products put together like a garage DIY job with no quality control and a huge price tag, paying to be a beta tester - what a time to be alive, I'm so happy that we don't just have early access games we now have early access hardware

Associate
In the games that I have been playing there is no chance that I could drive it at 240Hz anyway without crippling the graphics - I'm driving it from an RTX3900.
I now know what people were complaining about with the case "popping". Mine does do it if it is cold from start - I received the monitor in the summer and my study stayed quite warm for most of the autumn so I have only just noticed the issue.
I also found a stuck blue pixel. Fortunately its in the lower right hand corner and I only ever notice it when the lights are low and the screen is black - so in reality only at boot-up and shut-down.

Nevertheless for me the Neo G9 was a good buy. The ultrawide is perfect for productivity and I would not want something with less curve. And in general I find that games are enhanced - every time there is a cut-scene where there is only a 16:9 box in the middle I am reminded of what gaming on a normal flat screen is like.

But don't get me wrong - Samsung have over-hyped and under-delivered on this monitor and got more of my money that they deserved.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

In the games that I have been playing there is no chance that I could drive it at 240Hz anyway without crippling the graphics - I'm driving it from an RTX3900.
I now know what people were complaining about with the case "popping". Mine does do it if it is cold from start - I received the monitor in the summer and my study stayed quite warm for most of the autumn so I have only just noticed the issue.
I also found a stuck blue pixel. Fortunately its in the lower right hand corner and I only ever notice it when the lights are low and the screen is black - so in reality only at boot-up and shut-down.

Nevertheless for me the Neo G9 was a good buy. The ultrawide is perfect for productivity and I would not want something with less curve. And in general I find that games are enhanced - every time there is a cut-scene where there is only a 16:9 box in the middle I am reminded of what gaming on a normal flat screen is like.

But don't get me wrong - Samsung have over-hyped and under-delivered on this monitor and got more of my money that they deserved.

The fact you cant split the screen and watch full screen videos on 1 side of the monitor is a deal breaker for me, it makes the whole "productivity" less good when you cant do that

Associate

worth a watch, talks about how this and the other G9 none neo is really 120hz and not 240hz..

Not completely true. All panels have different response times depending on starting colour/brightness and ending colour/brightness. That's why for the standard LCD technologies in the modern high refresh rate era, they are all overdriven, which comes with it's own issues with overshoot errors etc. and non-linear voltage/response times.

The refresh rate on these panels is the actual refresh rate, it's just a question of whether the pixels can transition fast enough. Black to white or vice versa is the worst case scenario and is arguably not indicative of a real life load. It's rare when gaming that you ask pixels to transition between these two absolute states, it's normally somewhere in between.

OLED and DLP are an order of magnitude quicker than any LCD. VA has always been known to suffer more than IPS/TN when transitioning from 0% (black).
Also, LCD response times are very dependant on panel temperature, i.e. give them time to warm up. I don't see that he mentions that anywhere unless I missed it?

Last but not least, BFI can be used to hide slow pixel transitions and contribute to reduced motion blur. It's also used in 3d active displays for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom