First time build in years... Compatiable spec check please.

Soldato
My first PC build in probably 5-10 years and was hoping for a quick scan over my components to ensure they are compatible and I've not missed anything. I've no case as OCUK currently is out of stock of the Fractical Meshify S2, but competitors have them. I'd like to play 1140p and maybe 4K (at a reduced setting if needed) gaming and record music. Anything need changed?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,297.85 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
My first PC build in probably 5-10 years and was hoping for a quick scan over my components to ensure they are compatible and I've not missed anything. I've no case as OCUK currently is out of stock of the Fractical Meshify S2, but competitors have them. I'd like to play 1080p gaming and record music. Anything need changed?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,297.85 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Be careful, you've specced a DDR5 motherboard with DDR4 ram, incompatible.

Soldato
OP
1920x1080 isn’t very demanding on hardware. You could probably drop down to a RX 6600XT and Ryzen 5600G.
I actually should say, I'd like to game at 1440p rather than 1080p (I can't even do that at the moment). I'll update my post.

Be careful, you've specced a DDR5 motherboard with DDR4 ram, incompatible.
Good spot. I assume DDR5 motherboards don't have backward compatibility with DD4R?

Soldato
I actually should say, I'd like to game at 1440p rather than 1080p (I can't even do that at the moment). I'll update my post.

Good spot. I assume DDR5 motherboards don't have backward compatibility with DD4R?

Nope, but I did read Asus are designing a DDR4->DDR5 adapter, but it's not out yet and obviously an outlier.

Basically, buy a mobo to go with the ram you buy.

I just built a 12700K with DDR4 ram/mobo and it flies.

Soldato

Not seeing the extra £90 over the one I bought.

▷ MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 - Intel Z690 DDR4 ATX Mot… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

There's a wi-fi version of this (if you need that) but OCUK don't stock it.

Absolutely cracking board, there was an issue with it not coming out of sleep properly, but that's already been sorted with a V1.24 beta bios.

Soldato
OP
Not seeing the extra £90 over the one I bought.

▷ MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 - Intel Z690 DDR4 ATX Mot… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

There's a wi-fi version of this (if you need that) but OCUK don't stock it.

Absolutely cracking board, there was an issue with it not coming out of sleep properly, but that's already been sorted with a V1.24 beta bios.

Chers, that looks just as good as any. I'd like one with Wifi as it will save on having a dongle/Wireless card etc. Before I press the buy button anything else from the spec I listed that could do with a change?

Soldato
Chers, that looks just as good as any. I'd like one with Wifi as it will save on having a dongle/Wireless card etc. Before I press the buy button anything else from the spec I listed that could do with a change?

Yeh, for not too much more money, get 2x16 of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600, OCUK used to stock it but don't any more.

Have a look at some of my piccies in the CPU section, I have 4x8 (wanted to fill the slots) :)

I have it running matrix style at the moment! :D

Alternatively, get the cheaper non-Ryzen tuned:

▷ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 … | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

But the platinum RGB is so much nicer.

Back
Top Bottom