Smart Meters

Soldato
Edit: It's a Chameleon 3 supplied by EDF if that makes any difference.
but that's just the display ? - and the meter can be sending readings back to base, happily, even if the IHD has a hardware or firmware issue - supplieer is less concerned if the ihd breaks down.

Soldato
but that's just the display ? - and the meter can be sending readings back to base, happily, even if the IHD has a hardware or firmware issue - supplieer is less concerned if the ihd breaks down.
EDF have been asking for electricity readings due to the Smart meter issue, hopefully that's a thing of the past now that the display is reading correctly.:)

Associate
Just because the supplier does not support 5 hole meters does not mean it will be turned off. There was a major update literally thousands of 5 hole meters have done the same as yours. BG do offer eco7 and similar two rate tariffs they have to to be able to be competitive.

Yeah it was me glad you got sorted.

Don't understand it all really, can only go on what the engineer said. They do 4 port meters instead, but it won't work with the current wiring apparently. And yeah its an economy 7 tariff my moms on. Been trying to convince her to get a gas supply and combi boiler fitted for proper on demand heating in her old age. Not going well tho! :D

Soldato
They are coming back to life in huge numbers as they are migrated across which is finally progressing and a rate of knots. Bringing them back to life is much bette than replacing them!
Why is it better, other than the environmental impact? I'm somewhat dubious about a firmware update making something compatible, which was previously incompatible. Maybe it's the sceptic in me.

Either way, I'm personally glad that, hopefully, real SMETS2 meters will replace my SMETS1 ones soon.

Only the gas meter has a battery and should last between 7 and 10 years from Initial production.
I see. So when the battery finally gives up the ghost, say 7 years down the line, do they just replace the meter or the battery itself?

I'm with EDF, although I already realise you won't be able to give either an exact or personal reply to my next question. After installation, how long does it take for the gas meter to register on both the IHD and with the DCC/EDF? I ask because, at the beginning of last month, I know somebody who had smart meters installed by Octopus and their gas usage is yet to appear either online on their IHD.

Soldato
I see. So when the battery finally gives up the ghost, say 7 years down the line, do they just replace the meter or the battery itself?

I'm with EDF, although I already realise you won't be able to give either an exact or personal reply to my next question. After installation, how long does it take for the gas meter to register on both the IHD and with the DCC/EDF? I ask because, at the beginning of last month, I know somebody who had smart meters installed by Octopus and their gas usage is yet to appear either online on their IHD.

In theory the battery can be replaced but the closer the meter is to EoL I would expect the whole device to be replaced. The meters have different ways of accessing the battery because of this they may just replace the meter entirely. As with all things no set standard was put in place so of the four gas meter manufacturers we (EDF) use they all have different batteries and access methods.

Soldato
Either way, I'm personally glad that, hopefully, real SMETS2 meters will replace my SMETS1 ones soon.

fwiw you can maybe see you meter on below list, and upgrade capabilities.
https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html#eanda

when I eventually get one, I'll be intrigued if I see any wifi intefernce on meters regular ihd communications, equally mobile phones don't work in my place,
so unless the meter speaks via a mesh of other nearby house meters it will have problems - cambridgeshire.

Associate
I work closely with the EON back office team which deal with tech issues for smart meters, Send me a trust if you want me to get them to have a look if everything is set up properly
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but do you still work with an EON team?
I’ve had issues trying to persuade them to come & fit a SMETS2 but with a decent aerial (SKU3 & a T3 aerial would be good).
They fitted a bog standard setup 6/9 months ago but it didn’t connect and I can’t seem to get in contact with anyone at EON to progress the situation….
Cheers, wow

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but do you still work with an EON team?
I’ve had issues trying to persuade them to come & fit a SMETS2 but with a decent aerial (SKU3 & a T3 aerial would be good).
They fitted a bog standard setup 6/9 months ago but it didn’t connect and I can’t seem to get in contact with anyone at EON to progress the situation….
Cheers, wow
Lol strong first post :D

Kinda. We would need to assess if the engineer tried to commission the meters with the DCC but was unable to due any signal issues in your area or if the engineer did commission the meters but the issue is something is stuck in the background which is stopping the communication (the latter being much easier to fix).

What did the engineer say to you or what has been said so far by Eon? What communications have you had and what responses have your received?

Associate
Lol strong first post :D

Kinda. We would need to assess if the engineer tried to commission the meters with the DCC but was unable to due any signal issues in your area or if the engineer did commission the meters but the issue is something is stuck in the background which is stopping the communication (the latter being much easier to fix).

What did the engineer say to you or what has been said so far by Eon? What communications have you had and what responses have your received?
Lol, yes sorry - was a hardcore 1st post

Thanks very much for replying so quickly too!

The engineer really didn’t try particularly hard to get it working but to be fair to him it was outside & blooming freezing! He moved the basic T2 aerial around a bit but that was all.
He said that it wasn’t communicating with the DCC but of course I have no real idea how to setup the SMETS2!

I heard nothing more until I emailed to see what the next options would be (DCC involvement / upgraded aerial etc) and the reply was:

the issue has been reported as you rightly say it should be but at this time our internal systems will not allow us to book these types of appointments where the record still shows the signal strength to be too weak, and this also goes for the aerials as well im afraid.

Appreciate that this may not be the answer you were after but all i am able to do at this time for you is make sure you are registered for interest in a smart meter so we pro-actively contact you when we get notified the signal is stronger.

Consequently I’m at a dead end and with an ev & looking into solar, being without a SMETS2 will cost me.

FWIW, there’s no one else to ‘mesh’ with and the O2 signal is weak but just about usable where the meter is located.
I reckon that with a decent aerial it would work but of course I can’t progress that.

Kind regards, wow

Soldato
Lol, yes sorry - was a hardcore 1st post

Thanks very much for replying so quickly too!

The engineer really didn’t try particularly hard to get it working but to be fair to him it was outside & blooming freezing! He moved the basic T2 aerial around a bit but that was all.
He said that it wasn’t communicating with the DCC but of course I have no real idea how to setup the SMETS2!

I heard nothing more until I emailed to see what the next options would be (DCC involvement / upgraded aerial etc) and the reply was:

the issue has been reported as you rightly say it should be but at this time our internal systems will not allow us to book these types of appointments where the record still shows the signal strength to be too weak, and this also goes for the aerials as well im afraid.

Appreciate that this may not be the answer you were after but all i am able to do at this time for you is make sure you are registered for interest in a smart meter so we pro-actively contact you when we get notified the signal is stronger.

Consequently I’m at a dead end and with an ev & looking into solar, being without a SMETS2 will cost me.

FWIW, there’s no one else to ‘mesh’ with and the O2 signal is weak but just about usable where the meter is located.
I reckon that with a decent aerial it would work but of course I can’t progress that.

Kind regards, wow

To a degree they were right we need the meter exchange info to come through before we can do anything.

I would say ring us up. State your smart meter is communicating and you arent happy (raise a complaint) as Smart complaints are being prioritsed heavily at the moment over normal smart queries. It should be picked up and looked at within 3-5 days as we need to check the status with the DCC and if it isnt commissioned then we can refer it to the kingswinford metering team as it might have been treated as an install and leave due to the comms issues at which case we can explore the antenna options. If they did manage to commission it but its still got some comms issues then we can query it with the DCC and try to resolve it remotely.

Associate
To a degree they were right we need the meter exchange info to come through before we can do anything.

I would say ring us up. State your smart meter is communicating and you arent happy (raise a complaint) as Smart complaints are being prioritsed heavily at the moment over normal smart queries. It should be picked up and looked at within 3-5 days as we need to check the status with the DCC and if it isnt commissioned then we can refer it to the kingswinford metering team as it might have been treated as an install and leave due to the comms issues at which case we can explore the antenna options. If they did manage to commission it but its still got some comms issues then we can query it with the DCC and try to resolve it remotely.
Aah, very sorry not to have filled in the gaps but the installer decided to uninstall the SMETS meter and reinstall the old one when he couldn’t commission it ☹️
Trying to get another install is virtually impossible as they (quite probably correctly) are saying they’ll only try another install when the DCC tell EON that the signal improves.

I’m trying to get EON to try an install with the better SMETS & aerial but it’s at an impass now ‍♂️

Thank you very much again for trying to help - very much appreciated

Soldato
Aah, very sorry not to have filled in the gaps but the installer decided to uninstall the SMETS meter and reinstall the old one when he couldn’t commission it ☹️
Trying to get another install is virtually impossible as they (quite probably correctly) are saying they’ll only try another install when the DCC tell EON that the signal improves.

I’m trying to get EON to try an install with the better SMETS & aerial but it’s at an impass now ‍♂️

Thank you very much again for trying to help - very much appreciated

Ahh so there's your problem. They would be apprehensive to make another install attempt without confirmation from the DCC and the cellular network in the area due to the signal issues. It costs a fair bit to install the meters so they wouldnt want to continually keep trying to install if there is a high chance it will fail as its basically pouring money away for nothing.

Check back every month or so and get them to check the status but other than that not much can be done at the moment

Associate
Ahh so there's your problem. They would be apprehensive to make another install attempt without confirmation from the DCC and the cellular network in the area due to the signal issues. It costs a fair bit to install the meters so they wouldnt want to continually keep trying to install if there is a high chance it will fail as its basically pouring money away for nothing.

Check back every month or so and get them to check the status but other than that not much can be done at the moment
Ok, thank you very much for your help & info.
Kind regards, wow

Soldato
I'm very frustrated with my smart meter IHD - still stuck showing tariff I was on and changed in April. What's the point if they take months and months to update. Before it was updating a day or so after a tariff change.

After spending ages on hold a few months back was told there was nothing they could do it would eventually update but I'm not convinced

Is there a general problem with SMETS1 meters updating or is it a way to not show people how much they're actually using.

I was told it doesn't matter as charged correctly (lol) and of course can work it out from kw etc but doing that it's not much more useful from my viewpoint for in home monitoring than my Owl meter was

I did some research online and couldn't really come up with much definitive - couldn't even work what the chain of the updates is - supplier to company or system X to meters ?

Soldato
I'm very frustrated with my smart meter IHD - still stuck showing tariff I was on and changed in April. What's the point if they take months and months to update. Before it was updating a day or so after a tariff change.

After spending ages on hold a few months back was told there was nothing they could do it would eventually update but I'm not convinced

Is there a general problem with SMETS1 meters updating or is it a way to not show people how much they're actually using.

I was told it doesn't matter as charged correctly (lol) and of course can work it out from kw etc but doing that it's not much more useful from my viewpoint for in home monitoring than my Owl meter was
In general suppliers won't support a smets1 meter we at EDF are replacing them asap! Even when they get enrolled to smets2 they have so many issues it's easier to replace it with a smets2.

Soldato
Thanks for your reply so when you say won't support as in they'll likely never update (I'm with a different supplier btw) ? If that was the case in general across all the suppliers should the customers not be informed and they all be changed ? This house is a new build and only 3.5 years old it baffles me that meters that should last what 10 plus years seem almost obsolete already ?

It must cost a fortune all round these meters can't be cheap. My parents had a problem and I can't remember how many times one or both of their gas and electricity smart meter were changed before they talked both to each other and the network !

Soldato
Thanks for your reply so when you say won't support as in they'll likely never update (I'm with a different supplier btw) ? If that was the case in general across all the suppliers should the customers not be informed and they all be changed ? This house is a new build and only 3.5 years old it baffles me that meters that should last what 10 plus years seem almost obsolete already ?

It must cost a fortune all round these meters can't be cheap. My parents had a problem and I can't remember how many times one or both of their gas and electricity smart meter were changed before they talked both to each other and the network !
Yep costs about £400 for each visit, smets1 meter are owned by the original supplier, smets2 are rented from a government agency and so have a little more going for them because of the investment made from the government.

To be fair smets1 were obsolete when they were installed,at 3.5 years old I'm surprised you have a smets1, as of March 2018 suppliers were not allowed to install smets1 meters...

Soldato
I could well be wrong then I'll check later. The IHS is black and white which I assumed meant a SMETS1. I guess with new builds it depends on when the core of the houses with electricity and gas connected was competed Vs finishing the houses/ estate etc

Soldato
I could well be wrong then I'll check later. The IHS is black and white which I assumed meant a SMETS1. I guess with new builds it depends on when the core of the houses with electricity and gas connected was competed Vs finishing the houses/ estate etc
Yeah that sounds like a chameleon v1 IHD as all the newest ones are black. If you want PM me the serial number or a picture of your meter and I can tell you for sure.

Back
Top Bottom