Virgin Media Discussion Thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've only just seen the O2 and VOLT stuff. I must have been living under a rock. It can't be this easy surely... I can literally just go on my O2 sim only accounts (I have two for my kids but in my name) and just "turn on" the VOLT stuff so that my Virgin broadband goes up in speed?
Our Virgin media account is in my wife's name though. We currently are on an 18 month deal about to come to an end. I think the first 6 months were half price. Now we pay probably something like £80-90 a month and we get some basic phone (we don't even have it plugged in), TV with sky sports but not movies, and 220mb broadband. I think called M200? Will turning on the O2 stuff get me a discount or faster broadband?
Will this play into my hand or not given that I am about to phone up on behalf of the wife to try to negotiate a new deal? I think when the 18 month deal ends in a month or two it goes up to something silly like £120 a month. So should I do this first or wait?
Yep. That easy. I was paying £25 for my M200 and now still paying £25 for my M350.

Associate
I managed to get the Gig1 for £33pm. Also due to the ballache I had to go through with having to deal with the VM CS & retention dept, agents hanging up the calls when they placed me on hold when claiming to be looking at my account, which was happening consistently, I also received credit on my account so I will have nothing to pay until March. I opened a complaint, as when I realised the type of virgin representatives I was dealing with I started to record all the calls so the evidence was plain to hear, as well as their stuff blatantly lying about what my initial contract involved, which has now been amended to what was agreed. Also after the call from virgin today I'll also be receiving a pod, which to be honest I don't think I'll need as my Asus router as a good wifi range for where I normally do stuff. I also asked that once the SH5 if out of testing and all the issues have been ironed out and distribution to those who it will be given to begins, if I can receive the upgrade to one, which she said she can't promise as she doesn't work in that particular department, but she will note it on my account as part of the resolution to the complaint.

She wanted me to close the complaint but as she said, she'll be calling me back after the pod arrives to make sure it's working fine, I said I'll leave the complaint open until that time, just in case.

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting a new router and running my Hitron VM router in modem only mode, but I'm unsure which routers on the market support VM Business static IP addresses? I currently have one static IPv4 address with VM Business, but I can get up to 5 if I need that many. I'm looking for rock-solid as fast as possible WiFi and being able to make full use of the 500Mbps down and 50Mbps up speeds that I should be getting.

Can anyone recommend a router to me? The budget is about £300.

Associate
HI,
Currently paying £42 a month for the Gig1 service however after months of testing etc they have emailed saying that the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed for 3 successive days failed therefore i can cancel my service. Anybody else have any joy getting a reduction in price? Serious thinking about moving to BT 900 fibre which is £44 at the moment but £100 cashback and years Xbox ulitmate sub.

Permabanned
HI,
Currently paying £42 a month for the Gig1 service however after months of testing etc they have emailed saying that the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed for 3 successive days failed therefore i can cancel my service. Anybody else have any joy getting a reduction in price? Serious thinking about moving to BT 900 fibre which is £44 at the moment but £100 cashback and years Xbox ulitmate sub.

While I have been mostly happy with VM over the years if I had fibre available locally I would move.

Man of Honour
HI,
FTTP over VM any day of the week!

Soldato
While I have been mostly happy with VM over the years if I had fibre available locally I would move.

well I think I’ll wait for or the external cabling work to finish and then cancel the install day.

I’m on ADSL Vodafone and it hasn’t missed a beat, yes it’s not high speed…

Think I’d rather wait based on peoples comments. I’ll be paying £25 pm for M100

Associate
BT openreach have no plans to fibre my are in the next few years. There is another provider brsk that is in the works but it isn't much cheaper than virgin. I have virgin 100mbs and Vodafone mobile. Assuming the signal for 02 is any good around here I might switch when my contract runs out.

Need faster speeds. Got like 18 months though on this contract.arghh

Associate
I'd echo comments of others if you have good FTTP available, then it is worth considering over VM, but having been with VM for 6 months I will say that the latency whilst 7-10ms worse than my old FTTC connection (G.Fast from Sky) it hasn't really impacted my life in any major way despite 3 different work VPNs running all day, non of us have had any issues with VOIP or anything and my TBBM is a mess in comparison with FTTC, the extra bandwidth of VM has been lovely.

Associate
I gave my notice yesterday with very little fuss. BT Full Fibre 900 is getting installed next wednesday so ill have 3 weeks to compare both services. I ended up getting £115 cashback + Xbox ultimate (£120) and a monthly cost of £44.99 so happy with that.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nothing really wrong with VM if you are in an ok area, I have no real issues other than recent ones(unrelated to the actual BB provision) and we are a fairly heavy usage household. Just that the latency and upload is superior on fibre.

Soldato
They’ve delayed the install again until the 25/1. That won’t be happening as must be a Saturday.

keep getting messages saying we need to do more work. They’ve been doing “more” work since mid December including painting my drive when that wasn’t required.
Ordered back in November on Black Friday.

for a communication company they’re **** and good job I hadn’t cancelled my existing provider.

Last edited:
Soldato
They’ve delayed the install again until the 25/1. That won’t be happening as must be a Saturday.

keep getting messages saying we need to do more work. They’ve been doing “more” work since mid December including painting my drive when that wasn’t required.
Ordered back in November on Black Friday.

for a communication company they’re **** and good job I hadn’t cancelled my existing provider.

I sacked of the VM connection I had a year ago now, and have been on a wireless 4G/5G solution, and that has been way less problematic, cheaper, faster and just better. Didn't help that the retentions team tried to tell me they knew more than me and that getting more than 10Mb/s was impossible on a 4G connection.

Back
Top Bottom