Car Insurance renewals

Associate
OP
Astounding, I never thought that actually driving more miles could potentially make your insurance cheaper. I have heard of including a second driver, but I think that could be hit and miss in bringing the cost down. When I tried that before my cost went up, but I know others have seen a reduction. That £460 does also included national breakdown cover which is £89pa with the RAC. I have to admit in my years of driving I have only ever needed the breakdown service once if my memory serves me correctly, but I know exactly what would happen if I removed this...or maybe i've just been mentally conditioned to believe something would happen if I don't have breakdown cover included.

Soldato
If you only drive 500-1000 miles a year it’s also worth considering if you actually need a car at all. I’ve got no idea where you live but you are well in the territory of being better off just getting a taxi and hiring a car when you need one then using public transport for the rest.

Soldato
Amazed that it makes sense to run a car that old. I always think this when i see very old cars still around. Surely you'd save money (and gain many years of advancement in cars) in not too much time by buying a much more modern and economical (but still old and cheap) tax free/nearly tax free little car?

yep, wifes aygo 2007 is ideal. £20 a year tax and insurance is around 300ish. aygo drives nicer than the fiesta but fiesta got more power, style, lulz etc.
only reason i run the old car is because it keeps on running. underchassis all protected and welding done where needed years ago and it keeps passing mot's so why bin it? if it makes it to 40 years old then its tax and mot exempt which is cheapo motoring! just got to pay £5 a liter for petrol lol.

Soldato
If you only drive 500-1000 miles a year it’s also worth considering if you actually need a car at all. I’ve got no idea where you live but you are well in the territory of being better off just getting a taxi and hiring a car when you need one then using public transport for the rest.

some people use diesel to do that much miles these days and i see posts cropping up on car forums that the dpf is clogged etc. low miles = small petrol engine. these days id want an electric engine car for all short trips to shops etc.

Soldato
Garaging typically increases the cost as well, as enough folk have nailed the walls of their house/caused structural issues.

:confused:

I always thought garaging increased the costs because the car is no longer in view of your house. I.e. you'd know pretty quickly if someone nicked your car off the driveway, but from a garage you wouldn't know until you next went in there - which could be days.

Associate

I always thought garaging increased the costs because the car is no longer in view of your house. I.e. you'd know pretty quickly if someone nicked your car off the driveway, but from a garage you wouldn't know until you next went in there - which could be days.

adding my car to the garage lowered my insurance. Wasn't much but it went down.

Associate
OP

I have contemplated whether I need the car still to be fair, and what I tend to do is reflect over the previous year or so and weigh it up. I've only hired a car once before about 10 years only so I don't really know how efficient that process is now when you need one straight away, and also at that time when I hired the car I remember when I returned the car it was being scrutinised for scratches which the guy wanted to say I did. I really can't be dealing with all that each time.

Soldato

There was an insurance chap on here who said it's typically from bumps and scrapes. I imagine being nicked out of sight adds to it too.

We all know it broadly appears as a random number generator anyway :D

Man of Honour
I use pay-per-mile insurance and they've consistently been the cheapest comprehensive insurance quote...to the tune of nearly half the price of the next cheapest quote. YMMV though (haha pun)

Soldato
only issue with that is on the off chance you parked on the driveway or street go nip in to the toilet and someone robbed the car insurance may refuse to pay out?

I don't think they have that much of a carte-blanche get out for refusing payouts in those situations. Otherwise if your car was nicked in a car park whilst you were shopping then the same would apply. Or if you were visiting family/friends overnight.

They might ask how often you park on the road/driveway, or use something like google maps to see if you were on the road again. I'd imagine they're typically only after those that say they park on a driveway when their house doesn't have a driveway etc.

Man of Honour
I was always pleasantly surprised at how relatively cheap the insurance was on my TX1 Black Cab, granted I’ve been out of the game for almost 10 years now, but it was never as high as £500 p.a. but that was for being worked in what must have been the busiest city in U.K. although I didn’t do excessive mileage, preferring to sit on a rank and let the work come to me rather than cruise the streets looking for it.
One year it was £460, and for my wife’s Fiat Croma with just her and myself insured it was £380.
I only ever had one claim with the taxi though, against the driver of a Lotus Elan.
I was cautiously edging out of Cadogan Place into Sloane Street and the Lotus driver flashed his lights as he approached from the right, I took it that he was politely letting me out and moved forward, he drove into my offside wing.
He screamed blue murder that his “flash” was to say ‘I’m coming through.’
Fortunately a red Diplomatic Protection Police Car was coming from my left and the 2 cops went witness for me, saying that although the flashing of lights wasn’t a law, it was commonly accepted that it meant “I’m giving way.”
The Lotus guy’s insurance settled my minimal damage, but Christ knows what it cost to repair the Lotus, which looked like it had hit a Centurion tank.

Soldato
I was rather chuffed with my Insurance renewal this year.
£240 (2018 Octy vRS petrol - 46yr old, 9+ years NCB) - was actually down £25 from last year.
I don't think I've ever seen a lower price offered at renewal from the same insurance company - even if it has been a trouble free year. I know there were those new rules introduced about renewals and "new customers" - but still, expected the same as last year at the very best.

Man of Honour
I thought the same but it depends a bit on how many days a year the car is used and whether public transport is viable for the majority of journeys. Given it is used for shopping one would assume it is probably used at least 50 days a year. Still might be better off with other methods of transport.

Associate
OP
I was rather chuffed with my Insurance renewal this year.
£240 (2018 Octy vRS petrol - 46yr old, 9+ years NCB) - was actually down £25 from last year.
I don't think I've ever seen a lower price offered at renewal from the same insurance company - even if it has been a trouble free year. I know there were those new rules introduced about renewals and "new customers" - but still, expected the same as last year at the very best.

Just out of interest, does that include breakdown cover and a courtesy car if your car is damaged? It is possible that that I have included extra's on my insurance that maybe I don't really need but just felt like it provided peace of mind just in case.

Associate
OP
I thought the same but it depends a bit on how many days a year the car is used and whether public transport is viable for the majority of journeys. Given it is used for shopping one would assume it is probably used at least 50 days a year. Still might be better off with other methods of transport.

I did the ordering a taxi thing when doing my shopping before I got my license. Going to one location like a supermarket is doable for the most part, but if you need to pick other bits up at various other locations then thats where I would want the convenience of being in my own car. I guess it comes down also to what make us feel comfortable at times.

Soldato
There was an insurance chap on here who said it's typically from bumps and scrapes. I imagine being nicked out of sight adds to it too.

We all know it broadly appears as a random number generator anyway :D

Garaging my ST added about 75 quid. Agent said that being tucked away meant it was easier to break into/steal without being noticed, despite the alarm & cctv.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I was always pleasantly surprised at how relatively cheap the insurance was on my TX1 Black Cab, granted I’ve been out of the game for almost 10 years now, but it was never as high as £500 p.a. but that was for being worked in what must have been the busiest city in U.K. although I didn’t do excessive mileage, preferring to sit on a rank and let the work come to me rather than cruise the streets looking for it.
One year it was £460, and for my wife’s Fiat Croma with just her and myself insured it was £380.
I only ever had one claim with the taxi though, against the driver of a Lotus Elan.
I was cautiously edging out of Cadogan Place into Sloane Street and the Lotus driver flashed his lights as he approached from the right, I took it that he was politely letting me out and moved forward, he drove into my offside wing.
He screamed blue murder that his “flash” was to say ‘I’m coming through.’
Fortunately a red Diplomatic Protection Police Car was coming from my left and the 2 cops went witness for me, saying that although the flashing of lights wasn’t a law, it was commonly accepted that it meant “I’m giving way.”
The Lotus guy’s insurance settled my minimal damage, but Christ knows what it cost to repair the Lotus, which looked like it had hit a Centurion tank.
Today I learnt that those red police E60s I saw when I lived in London 15 years ago were the Diplomatic Protection Unit.
Cheers @Jean-F :D

Back
Top Bottom