The best Gen 4 nvme drive?

Associate
Seems like a choice between:

1: WD SN850
2. Samsung 980 Pro
3: Seagate Firecuda 530
4: Corsair MP600 Pro XT

Benchmark reviews have the Corsair either at the top or so close to the other drives it doesn't seem to matter. I don't see many people getting the Corsair though so not sure if I missed something.

Soldato
Unless having extremely demanding special workloads, focus should be on good price per GB/TB, so that you can afford plenty of space.
Remember that space you don't have doesn't have any speed...
Except maybe negative, because you need to remove old stuff to fit new.

And anyway for example in game loading speed differences become small in human scale with any higher up drives.

Associate
OP
I forgot to say I'm a sucker for having a manufacturer heatsink and it will be 2TB. I just think it's a way cleaner approach and eventually I'll be migrating the drive to a PS5. That makes a manufactuter heatsink even more favorable.

Unfortunately that takes the Corsair out of the equation. Apparently the heatsink is too large to fit in the PS5. The SN850 2TB heatsink version is kinda ridiculous in price.

The only option seems to be the Firecuda 530. Has the performance and the heatsink version isn't that much more than the non heatsink. It also has official videos from Seagate confirming compatibility with PS5.

Soldato
I forgot to say I'm a sucker for having a manufacturer heatsink and it will be 2TB. I just think it's a way cleaner approach and eventually I'll be migrating the drive to a PS5. That makes a manufactuter heatsink even more favorable.

Unfortunately that takes the Corsair out of the equation. Apparently the heatsink is too large to fit in the PS5. The SN850 2TB heatsink version is kinda ridiculous in price.

The only option seems to be the Firecuda 530. Has the performance and the heatsink version isn't that much more than the non heatsink. It also has official videos from Seagate confirming compatibility with PS5.
If it's going in a PS5 surely you want the Sabrent heatsink purposely designed for the PS5 so therefore you want a Sabrent drive.

Associate
OP
If it's going in a PS5 surely you want the Sabrent heatsink purposely designed for the PS5 so therefore you want a Sabrent drive.

Drive is going to be for desktop at first and in a couple years put into the PS5 when faster desktop drives (potentially even afforable 4TB) comes to town. Sabrent seems to lose to the Firecuda and once you factor in the cost of the heatsink, it's basically the same price as the Firecuda with heatsink. Also then don't have to faff about with the heatsink installation.

Associate
OP
Update time. Still hadn't pulled the trigger yet as I didn't need the drive right away. Fortunately my prayers were answered. The SN850 2TB Heatsink version is currently on offer for £264.99

Yeah the Firecuda 530 is the better drive but £264.99 vs £335.99 is great not to mention the slightly better software tools of WD. Most people said the 2TB non heatsink for £239.99 was a great deal so £25 extra for a proper heatsink that covers the correct areas seems like a solid option.

Associate
I've had the 980 pro which had massive problems with write speeds.

Moved onto the MP600 Pro XT and it's night and day.

Shame really as Samsung used to be my go to for storage drives.

Caporegime
Associate
Back
Top Bottom