Poll: *** The official 24" M1 iMac thread (it has seven colours and everything!) ***

Are you buying a 24" M1 iMac?

• Total voters
Soldato
My 2017 27" iMac was starting to struggle with certain apps (mostly the Adobe Creative Suite) despite a fresh install.

I was hoping to wait until the new M1 27" replacement came out but my boss suggested getting a 24" iMac as a stop-gap until the new ones arrive, and then use the 24" as a spare in the Studio — sounded good to me so I'm now on my first M1 Mac. :D

I can't deal with a mini keyboard, so I've kept my old one with number pad — although keyboard Touch ID was useful for the brief period I used it. Apart from that (and getting used to the smaller screen) I'm impressed so far — it's a tidy little thing.

Soldato
For an extra thirty quid, you could have had a full size keyboard with number pad and Touch ID. I'll certainly be doing that when the 27" replacement comes out.

I really hope the new one has Face ID, but I think that's wishful thinking, we're probably waiting for another couple of years.

Soldato
For an extra thirty quid, you could have had a full size keyboard with number pad and Touch ID. I'll certainly be doing that when the 27" replacement comes out.

I did look, but couldn't see that as an option when we ordered it… I'll make sure to specify it when I get the 27".

*Edit* Worryingly, I appear to be maxing out the RAM and swap already. Admittedly, I have quite a few apps open:
  • Chrome
  • Safari
  • Mail
  • Notes
  • Transmit FTP
  • Illustrator
  • XD
  • Photoshop
  • Whatsapp
  • PowerPoint
But that's nothing more than I would usually have running on a normal work day.

Soldato
I did look, but couldn't see that as an option when we ordered it… I'll make sure to specify it when I get the 27".

*Edit* Worryingly, I appear to be maxing out the RAM and swap already. Admittedly, I have quite a few apps open:
  • Chrome
  • Safari
  • Mail
  • Notes
  • Transmit FTP
  • Illustrator
  • XD
  • Photoshop
  • Whatsapp
  • PowerPoint
But that's nothing more than I would usually have running on a normal work day.

Some swap usage is normal, it doesn't mean you're maxing out the RAM. MacOS is much more aggressive than Windows/Linux at writing to swap when it anticipates future need for RAM, so that it doesn't need to do the actual writing when the need arises.

Soldato
Some swap usage is normal, it doesn't mean you're maxing out the RAM. MacOS is much more aggressive than Windows/Linux at writing to swap when it anticipates future need for RAM, so that it doesn't need to do the actual writing when the need arises.
Ok cool, I'll keep an eye on it, thanks.

I just got a warning from CleanMyMac saying I was out of RAM, so it was a bit concerning.

If it doesn't impact speed/stability (which it hasn't yet), I will forget about it. :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP

I just got a warning from CleanMyMac saying I was out of RAM, so it was a bit concerning.

If it doesn't impact speed/stability (which it hasn't yet), I will forget about it. :)

How much RAM do you have? Illustrator and Photoshop both open are pretty heavy apps.

Soldato
How much RAM do you have? Illustrator and Photoshop both open are pretty heavy apps.

I've got the 16GB model, so as much as possible.

Some of my colleagues have had the 24" for a few months already (because I wanted to wait for the 27" replacement) and they haven't had any issues, but they might not be multi-tasking quite as much as me.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I've got the 16GB model, so as much as possible.

Some of my colleagues have had the 24" for a few months already (because I wanted to wait for the 27" replacement) and they haven't had any issues, but they might not be multi-tasking quite as much as me.

I've found that WhatsApp likes to use a ton of memory so keep an eye on that. 16GB is fine for most uses but when you are working with a lot of files in creative apps memory can hit it's limit.

Soldato

Ignore CleanMyMac's ram usage numbers completely, they're just wrong.

Soldato
I never realised there was so much hate for CMM! :o

It's expensive and unnecessary software that can actually interfere with the Mac's own automated cleanup tasks. And almost all information it presents is false, only to give you the sense that you need to do their cleanup when you don't.

Soldato
I'm looking at the base model iMac and see it's only got two Thunderbolt/ USB 4(?) ports so I'll need to get a dock for a couple more USB 3 and USB-C connectors. Am I right in thinking that I'll be able to plug in a bod standard USBC-C dock? Or will an adapter be required?

Soldato
I'm looking at the base model iMac and see it's only got two Thunderbolt/ USB 4(?) ports so I'll need to get a dock for a couple more USB 3 and USB-C connectors. Am I right in thinking that I'll be able to plug in a bod standard USBC-C dock? Or will an adapter be required?

Yeah USB-c docks will work, just be careful about the speed (some hubs are USB 2.0 rated!).

Soldato
Are we likely to get a 27/32” iMac with M1 this year? I have a 32” 4K screen and looking to buy either a larger sized iMac or go for the Mac mini.

Back
Top Bottom