Why is CS:GO a thing?

Associate
I tried CS:GO during a free weekend soon after release. It didn't really do much for me, although to be fair I put very little effort into learning it. I also don't find it entertaining to watch. I tried watching a bit of Valorant recently and found that uninspiring in the same way. To each their own though - Quake has been my competitive shooter of choice for a number of years, although I never got into QC (I still play some QL though).

Caporegime
It's OK, will never get close to how old school CS was for gameplay imo. CSS was garbage and GO is an improvement on that, but yeah, I don't find it anyway near as addictive as CS (1.3-1.6) was.

Soldato
I tried CS:GO during a free weekend soon after release. It didn't really do much for me, although to be fair I put very little effort into learning it. I also don't find it entertaining to watch. I tried watching a bit of Valorant recently and found that uninspiring in the same way. To each their own though - Quake has been my competitive shooter of choice for a number of years, although I never got into QC (I still play some QL though).

I did that also in 2012 and didnt really play till 2014 but its worth a go.

I know someone also who swears by Quake for years but also has a lot of hours on CS. CS is significantly different if played properly. Unfortunately it can be a hassle to setup a full game, thats where CSGO matchmaking was genuinely useful. Its got swamped with disposable accounts now so is not what it once was, faceit is still free and try the custom mapcore hub.

Associate
It's OK, will never get close to how old school CS was for gameplay imo. CSS was garbage and GO is an improvement on that, but yeah, I don't find it anyway near as addictive as CS (1.3-1.6) was.

I was this era with the mad bunnyhop in 1.3. took me a time to move from 1.5 to 1.6 i held out strong till they took down the won servers.

Remember being able to make your own custom steam skins and the likes

Associate
while I will never play counterstike again its just awsome one of the finest games known to man

but... that if you have people to play with and comunity

Associate
We are just all old I guess. I don't play much fps these days. CS is a bit unforgiving and I feel like I've played it before. I want something new. Also I like vehicles since ut2004 ha.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It really is difficult to throw off the expectation that it should feel the same as CS:S or the original, however I appreciate that this isn't a realistic viewpoint things change and what you're used to may feel subjectively better when in reality that isn't the case. You just have to listen to people that actually believe Goldeneye is still better than modern games to see this.

Very good points. My foray into CS and UT around y2000 was fond and recall getting broadband before most making these games even more enjoyable. Nowadays I cant invest many hours to stay sharp and my reactions/eyes etc. are not what they once were so the game(s) would have to appeal in other ways to attract my attention. :)

Soldato
Used to love 1.6 and sank an unhealthy amount of hours into that over the years. I used to love it, get home from school, jump on Vent and IRC and blast through a couple mixes before tea. Then spend the rest of the night on matches with my mates. It's definitely a million times more enjoyable if you're playing with people you know, which I think is why it holds such fond memories for me.

I've pretty much all but given up gaming now, FPS gaming at least. Then I saw an offer for Far Cry 6 on Stadia which i gave a go and am enjoying it. So i'm wondering whether I chuck Steam on and give CS:GO a whirl again for old times sake!

Associate
I never got on with GO as much as I did with Source, but I can see from this thread that Source wasn't universally liked. Source was in my blood throughout my early to late teens and in terms of people I know I was probably the best at any of the CS games - on a global level not a patch on a reasonable percentage of the player base. Source was nearly exclusively the only game I played, get home from school and do nothing else, weekends were a case of wake up and play Source until I went to bed again. I was part of a couple of amateur clans, nothing major though and never went to proper tournaments.

I'm not quite old enough to have been playing online games when 1.5 and 1.6 were the in thing, but I've dabbled in them. At college my group had a small out-building which had 8-10 old PCs inside and was originally set up to learn about hardware, but the lecturer gave up with that when he realised we all knew as much about hardware as he did. This was 2008-2010, but these computers were just about comfortable on Windows XP and would run 1.6 at 30fps if you were lucky and had the computer with the best components in the room. Think single core Pentium processors, just enough RAM to meet the minimum requirements and a very primitive graphics card if you could find one that hadn't been used as a weapon, but likely onboard graphics. We'd spend all of our free time in there having our own LAN party because there was no internet connection.

GO just started to get irritating with too many screaming kids - many of them Slavic. Sometimes you could even hear kids arguing with their parents about playing one more game. If you didn't have that you would have the opposite end of the spectrum - older people at GN level try-harding something chronic and abusing everyone else on the team for not doing exactly what they want. You also had the people who would join the 'competitive' games and just do their own thing or quit the match part way through. I guess it'll be a similar thing in other games. This is all before it became F2P, I've no idea what the game is like now.

However, apart from very rarely jumping on Source to play public servers (strangely age hasn't impacted my aim/reactions too much as I keep getting accused of hacking with my 180 insta-headshots) I don't play any of Counter-Strike games now.

Associate
We are just all old I guess. I don't play much fps these days. CS is a bit unforgiving and I feel like I've played it before. I want something new. Also I like vehicles since ut2004 ha.

dont have the 30-40 hours a week or the ability and energy anymore to get to any semblence of skill I would expect from myself

best just to have the memories

played source for my last six months and enjoyed it but think after clans and matches it was just letting of steam ect

the main thing I miss from those days was the local lan cafe running late night two team cs nights great times 10 a side madess till 5 in the morning

Associate
Used to play source from 05 to like 08. Only since last lockdown did I upgrade my pc and start playing cs:go. Would've considered myself a pretty decent player back then but now at the age of 31 I feel like the overall standard is much much higher for the average player. Also i feel like my reaction time is just shot and as a result I don't even go near the awp.

Playing on faceit I'm back down to level 2 after being level 6 a couple months ago. Stuck in elo hell. Always solo queueing and getting put in with 3 or 4 Russians. It's frustrating man.

Associate
Been playing regularly since 0.6b, skipped Source as it didn't play the same but Go is pretty close to 1.6 feel wise.

Got a pistol ace in competitive yesterday and can confirm Counter Strike still gives an adrenalin rush that no other game can match.

Back
Top Bottom