Playstation VR2 Specs Announced

Soldato
Not to mention Playstation VR lacked games and i don't see that changing for VR2.

Seriously?

One of the few plus point of PSVR was it's decent games library. Also to believe with the extensive effort they've put in to enhancing the gamming experience with the hardware that effort won't go it to developing a healthy game catalogue is a little wide of the mark.

Soldato
@JonRGV250 nice, do those just stick on the ceiling or are they screwed?
Is it a home made job or off the shelf? If its the latter, where from?
You can either screw them in (not sure why you would?) or use the sticky pads that are included.
Either or, they're a quality product and work really well.
Hopefully i'm not breaking any rules by posting the link..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIWI-desig...eywords=kiwi+design+uk&qid=1641408883&sr=8-38

I can get around 4 meters of comfortable movement from the center point.

Last edited:
Associate
I think this looks great and if reasonably priced could be a day 1 purchase! I loved the psvr exclusives like RE7, Astro and Blood and Truth among others so really excited to see what other big AAA games Sony have in store. The wire is a bit annoying but hey, even in pcvr that's more the norm compared to wireless. You either need an expensive accessory or a Quest!

Soldato
This looks like a contender since native pcvr aaa games died a death with the quest 2.
If sony can produce the quality games then they are onto a winner.

How were aaa vr games doing before quest 2? From what I could tell, they were already dead and buried. If anything, the success of the quest 2 is resurrecting interest in them again. Already half the headsets on steam are quest 2, and it's a clearly growing market. Standalone is the start, not the finish.

Soldato
How were aaa vr games doing before quest 2? From what I could tell, they were already dead and buried. If anything, the success of the quest 2 is resurrecting interest in them again. Already half the headsets on steam are quest 2, and it's a clearly growing market. Standalone is the start, not the finish.
Quest 2 dosnt have the horsepower for aaa games its for casual games with basic graphics. You need to hook it upto a pc to experience hl alex/lone echo/asgards wrath etc. With ps vr every game will have high production values if not aaa then at least aa. Sony wont be restricted by the quests mobile phone graphics and simplistic game mechanics.

Associate
You can either screw them in (not sure why you would?) or use the sticky pads that are included.
Either or, they're a quality product and work really well.
Hopefully i'm not breaking any rules by posting the link..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIWI-desig...eywords=kiwi+design+uk&qid=1641408883&sr=8-38

I can get around 4 meters of comfortable movement from the center point.
Thx! I dont think you're breaking rules as OC doesn't sell them so not really competitors.
Cheaper than i thought, so for that price u get the whole setup as you've pictured? Pretty good. Gonna seriously consider buying it, tired of getting tangled up.

Soldato
Quest 2 dosnt have the horsepower for aaa games its for casual games with basic graphics. You need to hook it upto a pc to experience hl alex/lone echo/asgards wrath etc. With ps vr every game will have high production values if not aaa then at least aa. Sony wont be restricted by the quests mobile phone graphics and simplistic game mechanics.

None of which addresses the points i made.

Developers aren't restricted by the quest 2s standalone capabilities when developing aaa pcvr experiences. They were restricted because vr headsets simply weren't popular enough to make it worth while. The quest 2 starts to change that, which is why we once again have large studios working on aaa vr experiences, or building general games with genuine vr integrated.

I also suspect that not many would consider re4, or the doom and woldenstein ports as just casual.

Associate
Oh, I didn't see anywhere saying it was wired only. Sucks. VR with a cable isn't anywhere near as good.
depends on your use case, seated games & sims its certainly no drama, neither really are standing games like Beat Sabre and puzzle games its only really open world and FPS games + social that benefit imho

Soldato
But it is a big step up from sonys last vr solution in some ways, plus its constrained by the consoles power to drive it

Yeah definitely a big step up all round I would say. The console constraint will be helped significantly by the inclusion of eye tracking as standard equipment… I would expect all devs to make use of foveated rendering on the platform, I’m sure Sony will be trying to make it easy to implement.

definitely agree is would have been significantly better if wireless, again the built in eye tracking would help with bandwidth requirements. Perhaps they may plan a wireless adaptor down the line to keep the core unit’s price more accessible.

depends on your use case, seated games & sims its certainly no drama, neither really are standing games like Beat Sabre and puzzle games its only really open world and FPS games + social that benefit imho

I agree it’s not a particular drama for seated games, but I still find the cable in my G2 a nuisance - not only does it require extra management to stop it from irritating as you look around but it also adds more user friction in getting out/storing the headset. I’m a big fan of wireless VR when I tried it back with the original Quest, and I think with 6E/Wigig2 the drawbacks of skipping the wire will likely be small enough not to bother me personally… will definitely be looking to go wire free for the next headset personally despite my use case being 90% sim.

Last edited:
Soldato
None of which addresses the points i made.

Developers aren't restricted by the quest 2s standalone capabilities when developing aaa pcvr experiences. They were restricted because vr headsets simply weren't popular enough to make it worth while. The quest 2 starts to change that, which is why we once again have large studios working on aaa vr experiences, or building general games with genuine vr integrated.

I also suspect that not many would consider re4, or the doom and woldenstein ports as just casual.

This!!

Caporegime

Sure, but it's a console not a pc - it would be nice for it to aim for living room party fun stuff along with the serious gamer stuff. A bit like how quest 2 is trying to market itself. Kids, parents don't want the faff of cables - not in the world of wireless connectivity.

Associate
Sure, but it's a console not a pc - it would be nice for it to aim for living room party fun stuff along with the serious gamer stuff. A bit like how quest 2 is trying to market itself. Kids, parents don't want the faff of cables - not in the world of wireless connectivity.
Yeah I'd prefer wireless but honestly it's only one cable and they probably didn't want to put out something that relies on people's own setups, router etc. And with the cable there's no visual compromise

Soldato
OP
It's really cool how a console is going to get what is likely the best VR headset money can buy period, really living up to the next gen hype

Soldato
It's really cool how a console is going to get what is likely the best VR headset money can buy period, really living up to the next gen hype

Fairly sure there's already better headsets available, and more importantly, I'm positive there will be by the time it's actually available to buy. Admittedly, they'll probably be more expensive than the psvr2.

Back
Top Bottom