buying a new Television Help, Thank you

Man of Honour
Am I safe with my 65 inch......bit on the threshold, or am I doomed to change into the above when I at some point inevitably buy a bigger TV (note, no grey tracksuits or tattoo's here, and two respectable kids).

You’re probably safe, anyone who can put a post together as intelligently as you can’t be all bad, although I note that you’re from up north, so that makes me gnaw my bottom lip pensively, but hey, you may be a southerner who’s temporarily fallen on hard times ;).
I’ll put my hands up and admit that I was over generalising from the handful of people I know who favour giant TV screens
:rolleyes:

Soldato
Thank you, I honestly have zero clue, I need to do my homework to be honest for example, the room is pretty bright which might be issue with glare and contrast (aka washes out the image) trying not to overthink it but at the same time for me £500 is a lot of money and If it not right I be kicking myself XD

I should get myself to a curries to look at the tv's in action, but at the same time always good to seek help for the pro's :D aka you :)

I will honestly say that you should spend more and get a good TV. You can get a 48 inch A1 OLED or a 50 inch Samsung Q80A for £799 which will blow away anything under £500.

Associate
You’re probably safe, anyone who can put a post together as intelligently as you can’t be all bad, although I note that you’re from up north, so that makes me gnaw my bottom lip pensively, but hey, you may be a southerner who’s temporarily fallen on hard times ;).
I’ll put my hands up and admit that I was over generalising from the handful of people I know who favour giant TV screens
:rolleyes:

Full on Northerner here, born and bred around Manchester.......I did used to have a projector with a 106" inch screen, but moved house and the new Lounge will not accommodate it, fawning for a full on home cinema.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Agree don't buy a cheap TV.
I will honestly say that you should spend more and get a good TV. You can get a 48 inch A1 OLED or a 50 inch Samsung Q80A for £799 which will blow away anything under £500.

Haha, I guess I shouldn't be snotty when picking a TV under £800 lol too me anything over £500 pounds is not cheaping out haha but I might hold off and save a little more before pulling the trigger. I have a working TV so I am not without.

Thank you all for your contributions :D appreciate it.

Soldato
Whilst I'm no expert TCL seems to get some good reviews.

Would be interested from those in much more of the know what they think?

As far as I'm aware they use the same QLED screens from the lower end QLED Samsung's?

Mixed reviews in relation to the software which seems to have been fixed with a recent firmware update and plenty of YouTube videos to get the settings right.

A 50" QLED can be had for £500.

I am in no way if a position to recommend but with a similar budget for a new playroom/media room we are looking to have built into the integrated garage these are on the wishlist.

Soldato
Haha, I guess I shouldn't be snotty when picking a TV under £800 lol too me anything over £500 pounds is not cheaping out haha but I might hold off and save a little more before pulling the trigger. I have a working TV so I am not without.

Thank you all for your contributions :D appreciate it.

haha, sorry man. I hope I didn't come across all elitist. I understand completely. Money is hard to come by. And you are looking at a TV for £800 and one for £400 and going, why am I spend all that extra money??

For a TV, I think it's worth it. It's one of the most used devices in any house. And a good TV will still be a good TV in 5 years time and will probably be still going strong in 10 years time. If you are on a budget, always be looking around shops when manufacturers release a new range of TVs, You can get some amazing bargains on the previous generations models. My first OLED was the display model, it was their last one in stock and he let me have it for nearly half price. Back then I wouldn't have been able to afford a brand new one. 6 years later it still looks fantastic. People still comment on how good the picture quality is.

Associate
OP
haha, sorry man. I hope I didn't come across all elitist. I understand completely. Money is hard to come by. And you are looking at a TV for £800 and one for £400 and going, why am I spend all that extra money??

For a TV, I think it's worth it. It's one of the most used devices in any house. And a good TV will still be a good TV in 5 years time and will probably be still going strong in 10 years time. If you are on a budget, always be looking around shops when manufacturers release a new range of TVs, You can get some amazing bargains on the previous generations models. My first OLED was the display model, it was their last one in stock and he let me have it for nearly half price. Back then I wouldn't have been able to afford a brand new one. 6 years later it still looks fantastic. People still comment on how good the picture quality is.

Nooooo please dont think that, what I meant was I shouldn't be so fussy and picky with selecting a TV with the budget I have given myself. :) I get where you are coming from on a future proofing point of view :) i am not really in a hurry to replace our current machine so I might take that advice already started saving model numbers. Not expecting massive discounts with the state of our current economy but I am going keep my eye on them :) I do appreciate all the advice I get.

Soldato
If your max budget is £500 stick to it, especially if you have a little one on the way. There be more important things when that happens and TV watching will be less of a priority :p

Back
Top Bottom