Energy Suppliers

Caporegime
50% increase, great.

Tax rises, energy costs through the roof, fuel prices and the no doubt incoming council tax raises. There’s nothing quite like getting bent over.

Caporegime
50% increase, great.

Tax rises, energy costs through the roof, fuel prices and the no doubt incoming council tax raises. There’s nothing quite like getting bent over.

Yeah gonna be a tough year. I think losing well over 1k just to costs. Brutal but we are (in my opinion) in a state of decline

Soldato
My DD was cancelled (in error) as UtilityPoint crashed and burned so I ended up moving to EDF on their Welcome tarrif that requires me to pay by card each month. Obviously I'd like to get the DD back up and running but they can't deal with me on the phones yet. Online I get the option to swap to this:

Electricity
Annual estimate

£1,592.37
Daily standing charge
24.04p
Unit Rate (pence kWh)
21.56p

Gas
Annual estimate

£1,042.11
Daily standing charge
26.12p
Unit rate (pence kWh)
4.053p

Current rates are:

Electricity unit rate: 22.71p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 28.61p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.270p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 30.78p per day

It all looks swings and roundabouts to me but thought I'd double check on what people think? Looks slightly better to change but not much in it?

Soldato
My DD was cancelled (in error) as UtilityPoint crashed and burned so I ended up moving to EDF on their Welcome tarrif that requires me to pay by card each month. Obviously I'd like to get the DD back up and running but they can't deal with me on the phones yet. Online I get the option to swap to this:

Electricity
Annual estimate

£1,592.37
Daily standing charge
24.04p
Unit Rate (pence kWh)
21.56p

Gas
Annual estimate

£1,042.11
Daily standing charge
26.12p
Unit rate (pence kWh)
4.053p

That is the cap price, so you should change to it if your current one isn't a fixed deal past April.

April the cap will go up a lot, maybe 40-50%, but you are unlikely to get a better deal than the cap. Hopefully prices will settle down toward the end of the year if supply ramps up and new cheaper fixes start again.

Caporegime
I can't see these prices changing in the next year.
Someone has to pay for this. The poorest will get help while everyone else's bills will go up further

Soldato
Just had an email from Bulb, they want to up my DD from £65 to £127. The lowest they will let me change it to is £111. I have 0 balance, just always pay the £65 and top up if required. Last month I had to add in about £20. I cba with having my money sat on a balance for no reason.

My usage in 2 bed flat, Electric only.
Aug 450.8 kWh
Sept 295.2 kWh
Oct 241.9 kWh
Nov 395.0 kWh

Been on OVO and I can do a 12mth fix for £111pm. I am half tempted I have to admit.

Soldato
Just had an email from Bulb, they want to up my DD from £65 to £127. The lowest they will let me change it to is £111. I have 0 balance, just always pay the £65 and top up if required. Last month I had to add in about £20. I cba with having my money sat on a balance for no reason.

Aug 450.8 kWh
Sept 295.2 kWh
Oct 241.9 kWh
Nov 395.0 kWh

Been on OVO and I can do a 12mth fix for £111pm. I am half tempted I have to admit.

£65 is too low, £127 is too high. £80-90 would be about right for your usage.

Soldato
That is the cap price, so you should change to it if your current one isn't a fixed deal past April.

April the cap will go up a lot, maybe 40-50%, but you are unlikely to get a better deal than the cap. Hopefully prices will settle down toward the end of the year if supply ramps up and new cheaper fixes start again.

Not fixed as I've just been moved to EDF when UtilityPoint went under, the new one doesn't appear to be fixed either. It's not really a tariff change, just going from monthly card payments to direct debit which I'd prefer anyway.

Soldato

Aug 450.8 kWh
Sept 295.2 kWh
Oct 241.9 kWh
Nov 395.0 kWh

1382 kWh * 3 (to get 12 months) is 4146 kWh per year, which isn't bad considering you're only using electric. But then you have to remember those readings are from a time of year when usage is starting to creep up, due to lights being on longer and increasing demand for heating towards winter.

I have a spreadsheet with EDF's Standard Variable tariff and with 4146 kWh and it tells me that's nearly £80/pcm. As @200sols says, £90 would be a good amount to set your direct debit to.

Have you just moved to Bulb? If so, perhaps they will just need to see your usage over a longer period, before their calculations will give you a more realistic figure to set your direct debit to. Ride it out and pay what they ask. If you're right, you might be in for a refund in the middle of summer.

Soldato
£65 is too low, £127 is too high. £80-90 would be about right for your usage.
Yeah I think your right. Sadly I can't drop it down.
1382 kWh * 3 (to get 12 months) is 4146 kWh per year, which isn't bad considering you're only using electric. But then you have to remember those readings are from a time of year when usage is starting to creep up, due to lights being on longer and increasing demand for heating towards winter.

I have a spreadsheet with EDF's Standard Variable tariff and with 4146 kWh and it tells me that's nearly £80/pcm. As @200sols says, £90 would be a good amount to set your direct debit to.

Have you just moved to Bulb? If so, perhaps they will just need to see your usage over a longer period, before their calculations will give you a more realistic figure to set your direct debit to. Ride it out and pay what they ask. If you're right, you might be in for a refund in the middle of summer.
Cheers for checking on your end. I moved to bulb in August (when I moved to the property)

I'm in the middle of buying my first house so I'm fully expecting a sharp rise anyway when I move.

Soldato

Aug 450.8 kWh
Sept 295.2 kWh
Oct 241.9 kWh
Nov 395.0 kWh

Tell them you want to go on variable payments. That way you pay for what you use.

Soldato
We did a 2 Year fix in September with Eon Next but we’re in the process of buying/selling and it appears you can’t take your tariff with you so It looks like we’ll be paying a lot more once we move.

We were stiffed by this too. Pretty much a doubling in costs overnight. At least they were kind enough to let us leave penalty free. :rolleyes:

Soldato

Aug 450.8 kWh
Sept 295.2 kWh
Oct 241.9 kWh
Nov 395.0 kWh

I’ve had similar, paying £38 a month now but used £49 and they want to put my DD up to £119, lowest it’ll let me set it to is £101.45, they tried this when the news came that they were struggling to keep afloat.

Soldato
50% increase, great.

Just remember when things do get better, these prices will remain.
Its a global issue though, so were all ****** basically. Iv heard the nordics are basically getting shafted not twice but three times, so it could be worse....I guess.
Someone has to pay for this. The poorest will get help while everyone else's bills will go up further
Are they even getting help though? Like my household can handle the rise, im not happy with it but I can absorb the increase, but if poor households were already suffering what little hope is there that they can ride this through winter.

Caporegime
Just remember when things do get better, these prices will remain.
Its a global issue though, so were all ****** basically. Iv heard the nordics are basically getting shafted not twice but three times, so it could be worse....I guess.
Are they even getting help though? Like my household can handle the rise, im not happy with it but I can absorb the increase, but if poor households were already suffering what little hope is there that they can ride this through winter.

Im guessing that's what will happen.
The winter fuel thing will increase. Which will be paid for by everyone else.

Unfortunately I expect green levies may well also go and potentially end up paying for this.

But for me scrapping of green costs is a great demonstration of why we won't beat climate change. When things get difficult it's an easy target to scrap.

One things for sure. It will absolutely hurt any economic recovery. Its taking directly from what people would be spending.

Overall, this is probably the sign of things to come. So I agree we are all ******

Soldato
I’ve had similar, paying £38 a month now but used £49 and they want to put my DD up to £119, lowest it’ll let me set it to is £101.45, they tried this when the news came that they were struggling to keep afloat.

They cant force you to set it to an amount that especially during winter increases your balance. They should set it to cover your usage not help them make money.
"If they won't lower your payments to reflect your usage, you should make a formal complaint to your supplier."

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/

Soldato
Anybody here have solar pannnels for electricity? I have had a quick look with estimates of 6k and probably more for a battery Installation.
But if I'm paying 1k a year electric anyway, long term this might be worth looking into further?
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom